Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit

If it's the location I'm thinking of, I believe it was the only new location added to the re-re-make. Knowing Vogel, he probably just found a public domain photo at the last second and used it for the portrait. Either that or it's one of his friends.
Kyass' Freehold or something like that, dude's little fort between Avernum and the abyss that takes anyone in. And that'd explain it perfectly! Wasn't a terribly important question but it was niggling in the back of my mind ever since I went there 'cause that portrait's such a big difference to all the others.

Piotrovitz

Savant
My ennui made me dump my current Grimoire playthrough and I've decided to give first Avernum's remake a try.

So far everything is awesome and has that charming retro vibe.

Combat seems a bit simplistic, and also, the quest design so far seem to be relying on fetch ones (go to X, kill Y, bring Z etc), but I don't mind it and am having fun anyway.
Went with the standard party - warrior, rogue, priest, mage, and everything is going smooth so far.

I've heard the game is pretty huge, so the question is - doesn't stuff get repetitive after dozen of hours, that would potentially burn me out?
Are quests getting more complex as you go on, are there any plot twists, is itemization and char build any good in the long run?

The exploration is top notch, but everything so far indicates repetitiveness.

I've heard the game is pretty huge, so the question is - doesn't stuff get repetitive after dozen of hours, that would potentially burn me out?
Are quests getting more complex as you go on, are there any plot twists, is itemization and char build any good in the long run?
Thus far there aren't really any plot twists, the quests are still kill Y bring Z, itemization is pretty straightforward, and character building doesn't get super complicated though there's a smidge of wiggle room. All that said the combat does get a little more involved after 20+ hours into it. I'm not speaking with authority since I'm a bit over 30 hours in and I'm not an Avernum/Exile pro but it is repetitive but if you're in the mood for that it hits the spot. Almost like playing an old Might and Magic where you mow through the vast majority of encounters without the slightest bit of thought and only turn your brain on in a few situations, but you enjoy filling out and exploring the map and watching your party get more powerful.

And for the quests getting more complicated, I'd say no with the sole exception of a dragon's magical knowledge. I've got 3 different people/factions who want it and I assume I can only give it to one of them once I get it. Given the nature of the game thus far I don't expect that'll really impact the story though and it probably just changes what reward you get. Other than that I think every single quest has been completely straightforward.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thus far there aren't really any plot twists, the quests are still kill Y bring Z, itemization is pretty straightforward, and character building doesn't get super complicated though there's a smidge of wiggle room. All that said the combat does get a little more involved after 20+ hours into it. I'm not speaking with authority since I'm a bit over 30 hours in and I'm not an Avernum/Exile pro but it is repetitive but if you're in the mood for that it hits the spot. Almost like playing an old Might and Magic where you mow through the vast majority of encounters without the slightest bit of thought and only turn your brain on in a few situations, but you enjoy filling out and exploring the map and watching your party get more powerful.

And for the quests getting more complicated, I'd say no with the sole exception of a dragon's magical knowledge. I've got 3 different people/factions who want it and I assume I can only give it to one of them once I get it. Given the nature of the game thus far I don't expect that'll really impact the story though and it probably just changes what reward you get. Other than that I think every single quest has been completely straightforward.

Exploration has probably been the best part of all the Avernum and Exile titles. Jeff can create interesting worlds when he's not being lazy.

Hopefully this is not necro.

Recently put two hours into the Avernum: Into the Pit which is the remake of Exile 1. I dunno man, I just wasn't feeling it. There's really nothing wrong with the game. It's mechanically sound if a bit too simplistic (at least in as much as I've played), the writing is serviceable, combat is okay. Even has okay quests and side quests. All that being said, I just can't find a reason to go back to it. With this kind of game where gameplay is not rich enough to drive the experience, the writing and story has to be especially interesting to me, which isn't in this case. I dunno maybe it evolves into something much more gripping later on, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to experience that.

norolim

Arcane
OK, I want to start this series. So which do I play, Avernum 1 or Escape From the Pit? I was going to go with Avernum 1, but maybe there are reasons to play Escape From the Pit instead... I won't play Exile because I want to play all the 6 games in the same engine.

mindx2, I think you have experience with the series. What's your advice?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
If you don't mind having a 4 characters only party (instead of 6) Escape From the Pit is better.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, I want to start this series. So which do I play, Avernum 1 or Escape From the Pit? I was going to go with Avernum 1, but maybe there are reasons to play Escape From the Pit instead... I won't play Exile because I want to play all the 6 games in the same engine.

mindx2, I think you have experience with the series. What's your advice?
My 1st choice is Exile regardless as I can play the first three then play Avernum 4-6. I felt that each remake, redo, whatever he calls it from Jeff lost something and never lived up to the original trilogy.

almondblight

Arcane
My 1st choice is Exile regardless as I can play the first three then play Avernum 4-6. I felt that each remake, redo, whatever he calls it from Jeff lost something and never lived up to the original trilogy.

I think Exile 2 and particularly Exile 3 hold up a lot better than Exile 1. Each Exile game was a big improvement over the previous one, whereas the Avernums are all about the same level of quality.

That is to say, if someone plays Exile 1 and can't get into it, they should at least give the other two a try.

Covenant

Savant

I think Exile 2 and particularly Exile 3 hold up a lot better than Exile 1. Each Exile game was a big improvement over the previous one, whereas the Avernums are all about the same level of quality.

That is to say, if someone plays Exile 1 and can't get into it, they should at least give the other two a try.

I'm sure I'm very much in the minority on this but I played Avernum 1, then the re-remake version of whatever the second one is (Crystal Souls?), and then the original Exile III, so a different generation each time, and found Exile III the least enjoyable experience of them all. I can't say whether that's due to the engine, the respective quality of the games themselves, or just getting tired of a long series that doesn't exactly reinvent itself each time, but Exile III certainly felt like it could use some trimming of bloat as well as a decent ingame map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom