Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
this dude may have a point, I still think it would take place in Aedyr Empire's main continent but in any case I hope it takes place during a conflict/war rather than someone telling us about it like; "yeah, 15 years ago this cool war happened, shit hit the fan, we blew a god" etc.

Keep in mind the game and story will absolutely be designed around having absolutely zero knowledge of that world ahead of time.

Zeriel

Arcane
How did vidya game magic go from using pentagrams and weird symbols probably taken from some historical grimoires to being a one man gay raver party?

The impact of particle effects I guess. It is weird though. Looking back to like Baldur's Gate, they were using the same technology under the hood to make the VFX. Actually in general I'm curious why the design direction of VFX from back then is so much more creative and unique than now. Looking at say, the Dimension Door effect from BG2, that's clearly built using particle effects or at least looks the same, but a modern iteration of that would be so much more simple and boring.

Flou

Arbiter
he's working on this game and worked on TOW's DLC it looks like: https://www.paul-kirsch.com/game-design Forgotten Sanctum was good but I don't know what he can do about TOW even if he's that good

He wrote the best parts in Tyranny (Tunon, Graven Ashe, Barik, Verse and Voices of Nerat). Especially Tunon is brilliantly done.

On Deadfire he wrote Nemnok, The Guardian of Ukaizo, that dragon in Nekataka, Maia Rua and Tekehu. Tekehu was annoying, but mostly due to the romance mechanics that were buggy as fuck at launch and due to the decision to make most of the character to be playersexual.

On Forgotten Sanctum he wrote most of it. Tayn especially was very well done and Concelhaut and Bekarna were not far behind.

His role on TOW was very limited as he was quite busy with Deadfire DLCs and whatever that cancelled project was. Junlai Tenyson, Lilya Hagen and Captain MacRedd weren't badly written if you ask me. He did not write any companions for TOW.

So, hopefully he has a big role on Avowed and on Perils on Gorgon.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Nobody noticed that the movement of the flame in the trailer is completely wrong. And it is the main thing they had to animate for this presentation.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
how many AAA titles have you shipped as environment animator for you to be allowed to have this opinion???

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It seem programmed by kids that haven't ever seen a real fire in their life. The movement of a flame on an arrow that moves at that velocity is way more hectic and turbulent.

A random search show me this. In this case the arrow is not even flying and there is just a little wind around it. Look at the flame.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Ed2rkKEUwAAb0xw

Ed2rkoQU0AA4C_H

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- You’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)

BLOBBER!!!

Yeah, no. But it would’ve made my day.

Anyway, real or not, shame it didn’t have anything on gameplay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not really sure what "different to Outer Worlds" even means in the sense of Morrowind type game companions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-had-me-at-halo.246538/page-252#post-40806123

As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains “spore-like” creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- You’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)

BLOBBER!!!

Yeah, no. But it would’ve made my day.

Anyway, real or not, shame it didn’t have anything on gameplay.

Except potentially the bit about physics interacting with Magic Systems.

Yeah, there’s that. It instantly brought the Half Life 2 gravity gun to my mind for some reason.

Ging_Sama

Novice
Grain of salt...

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom