Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Roguey seems confident it is Carrie Patel.

Sawyer is overarching lead on all of the projects so he's on Avowed by default.
He’s stated that he is just periodically giving feedback on design docs and game builds. He’s not directing anything on Avowed and is as far removed from the project as he gets in his current position.
I guess you could say Sawyer is far removed from Avowed...if you ignore the fact that he's responsible for the entire setting, history, lore and linguistics of the game. :balance:
? But he’s not (excepting linguistics)?

The rest was mostly Fenstermaker and Ziets.
Fenstermaker wrote the story. The worldbuilding was done by Sawyer.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/188767385726/hey-josh-what-was-the-worldbuilding-process-like

Hey Josh. What was the worldbuilding process like on Pillars of Eternity?

This could be a very long answer, but I’ll try to be succinct. In my mind, there have been three worldbuilding phases for Eora. The first one occurred during the Kickstarter for Project Eternity. The second occurred during the development of Pillars of Eternity. The third was during Deadfire.

The first phase was quite ad hoc and a little unfocused due to the extremely fast pace of the Kickstarter campaign. In that phase, the goals were largely to create something that felt generally comfortable and familiar for people who wanted a Baldur’s Gate-style experience. I would not consider it unfair if people thought of this as cynical or uninspired; I was specifically trying to meet general audience expectations. So we had folk (humans), elves, and dwarves, but also godlike (aesthetically genasi-esques), orlans, and aumaua.

There were a few shreds of integrity in me at that point, because I didn’t want to have an “evil” player race like orcs or to directly take hobbits/halflings from Tolkien.

I also pulled at various bits of historical inspiration, e.g. the Drummer of Niklashausen for St. Waidwen. I thought it would be interesting (to me, at least) to push the setting toward the equivalent of Earth’s 16th century in terms of technology and social expansion. So we had trans-oceanic exploration and colonization, firearms, mercantilism, and a lot of cross-cultural contact and conflict. Aedyran, which is effectively contemporary English, was conceived as a colonial blend of two imperial/trade languages (Eld Aedyran/Old English and Vailian/Italian-French-Occitan) with a local language (Glanfathan/Cornish-Welsh).

The second phase of worldbuilding was more structured, though I still had to deal with whatever decisions I had hastily made during the Kickstarter. Eric Fenstermaker (who wrote the main story for Pillars 1) and I worked through the implications of the Hollowborn Crisis on social trends and daily life in the Dyrwood. This phase of development was also more fundamentally materialistic in its methodology, though not enough in retrospect. I would have liked to have put more thought into the relationships between the various erldoms, their communities, and the duc in Defiance Bay. The disconnect between rural and urban Dyrwoodans does largely come out of this materialistic approach: rural communities are affected by the Hollowborn Crisis more than urban communities. This is both because more children were affected (due to proximity to the machines Thaos was using) and because rural communities’ labor pools were more dependent on local family members.

There were also certain limits I placed on technology during this phase, like limiting the ability to teleport material (including people) due to the incredible effect that would have on so many aspects of trade and culture. Its inclusion in Deadfire was only allowed after a lot of discussions of its limitations (e.g., requiring a Watcher linking adra pillars and the use of massive, expensive Vailian technology).
It seems you are correct, my apologies for the misinformation.

coldaqua

Novice
This is running on Unreal 4 in the sleep-inducing PoE setting. Does anyone really think this will anything but a mediocre slog?

Nope. It's going to be a completely generic Ubisoft-a-like, utterly tedious, and filled to the gunnels with lame corporate "diversity" preaching, as all modern product is.

Has Obsidian ever made a Ubisoft-like game before? I didn't finish Outer Worlds, but I don't remember doing any typical map marker or collectible hunting that AC/Far Cry games tend to have.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is running on Unreal 4 in the sleep-inducing PoE setting. Does anyone really think this will anything but a mediocre slog?

Nope. It's going to be a completely generic Ubisoft-a-like, utterly tedious, and filled to the gunnels with lame corporate "diversity" preaching, as all modern product is.

Has Obsidian ever made a Ubisoft-like game before? I didn't finish Outer Worlds, but I don't remember doing any typical map marker or collectible hunting that AC/Far Cry games tend to have.

There's a first time for everything :)

Meh, I was just thinking in terms of an overall impression of vacuousness. Outer Worlds is pretty vacuous, all these games are running into each other these days, into a general gaming feed (in the pig swill sense), a mental nosebag of graphically pseudorealistic mush, suitable for the scheduled recreation period of a soy-faced, bug-eating pod dweller who owns nothing and is "happy."

I hope I'm wrong, as I've enjoyed some Obsidian games a lot, but I fear I'm right.

S.torch

Arbiter
We are going in circles now and I don't see any more reason to repeat what's already said.

I agree, me neither.

Not to spoil your day but forgotten realms has indeed guns in form of flintlocks and muskets even if is more a Lantan thing.

Yeah like many other technological things that existed or exist in the setting, but are not common. So that's doesn't really change anything.

TedNugent

Arcane
So, let me get this straight, what they came up with to resolve low sales for Deadfire was to turn it into a goddamn 1st person open world game?

I wonder if they'll be equally as stupefied when Avowed fails to ship half a million and Microshit execs are standing there with a confused look on their faces.

It looks like they came to the conclusion, in essence, that they needed a bigger marketing budget, hence why they merged with the deathstar.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So, let me get this straight, what they came up with to resolve low sales for Deadfire was to turn it into a goddamn 1st person open world game?

Idk.. It worked with Outer Worlds. Even after all the hype was gone it sold over 4 million copies in the end.
If they hype up Avowed as ''Skyrim-like'' and make the Elders Scrolls/Skyrim retarded fans interesting in it, oh boy, i can see selling well over 5 millions.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
They spent years and likely thousands of man-hours developing the setting for PoE/Deadfire. Whether you agree or not that the setting sucks, all of the work that went into it has a material value. It makes sense that they would try and do something with the setting, as it only keeps its value if it is used. And they are far enough along (and the games industry is now working in a certain way) that a first-person fantasy game in a new(er) setting is almost guaranteed to turn a profit.

Harthwain

Magister
Also, it's their own, not someone else's IP, which is yet another reason for them to try and make it bigger.

Harthwain

Magister
What makes Skyrim a big thing is its modding community. There isn't, and isn't going to be, a similar community around an Unreal Engine game.
I think they are going to tap into the sandbox crowd, not the modding community as such.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm thinking that with MSFT's chops on publishing, marketing, QA, and access to all of their assets, the game stands a chance of doing very well.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If it releases at all, it will be forgotten in 6 months. Except here where the same 4 or 5 idiots will keep beating the dead horse, as always.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OK but that doesn't connect your last 2 comments whatsoever. You speak in fucking circles bro :lol:
1. "What makes Skyrim a big thing is its modding community."
2. "I remain skeptical about Obsidians' chances to make a first person RPG that will outsell TOW by a significant margin" (for reasons not only, but including, lack of modding support)

What couldn't you understand here? I doubt I can help you but I'll try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom