Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Really surprised how they have M$ money now and they made a game that looks like a Piranha Bytes Kickstarter game.

Also not happy with the POE meets TOW scope of the game.

Seems like Obsidian will just be used to safely pad the Game pass RPG numbers while Bethesda gets to kick out the blockbusters

Feargus skimming the cream off the top.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This game is gonna be trash. Every game with a pretentious voiceover non-enginge graphics trailer is automagically garbage tier. This is just like the trailer for Tours and Tournaments for CK3. The trailers have nothing to do with how the game works! Lifestyle advertising for video games. Like when cig, beer, or drug commercials show people having a pool party or playing beach volleyball with hot mid 20s girls.
is it even possible to make an exciting Crusader Kings trailer? dramatic music plays as the player clicks through an event which ends with him getting a +10 opinion modifier from his 1 county vassal
For fans? Sure. Although I'm not sure map painters really need trailers anyways. But showing some dumb animated wannabe game of thrones shit that doesn't exist in the game is dumb as hell.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They just reskinned Outer Worlds with generic fantasy props.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Even some of the usually hilariously over the top Twitter drones are bemoaning the art style change.

2Y7ilaV.png

Of course, you also have this 'guy':

quixotic

Learned
The Avowed twitter account making an out of place Metal Gear reference evoked a feeling similar to seeing goatse for me.

goregasm

Scholar
Looks like OW. Passed on that, will pass on this. Enjoyed PoE 1 and 2 for what they were but this looks kinda shitty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess the logic is that you're an Aedyran, almost all of whom are humans and elves.

(Although of course almost all of the humans are white and I doubt they will limit that)

ADL

Prophet
Looks like fantasy Outer Worlds. It even has the high contrast colors.
They need some serious color correction and those mushrooms in particular look like they're straight off a third party asset store. I was expecting a much bleaker look to the game and it reminds me of Underworld Ascendant.

Not saying color correction would fix the disjointed cartoony/realistic art-style depending on what creature you're looking at but it would mitigate it somewhat.

Tenebris

Scholar
I guess the logic is that you're an Aedyran, almost all of whom are humans and elves.

(Although of course almost all of the humans are white and I doubt they will limit that)
Having to voice fewer lines for reactivity was probably a big factor too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Of course, you also have this 'guy'
Nothing wrong with having high expectations for Obsidian's character writing and worldbuilding; it's not like they were ever primarily famous for their crunchy gameplay.
I actually agree with this, even if I find it very likely that any positive expectations will be swiftly dashed by reality. But (as I suspect you are well aware, per usual), my comment was more about the fact that the Biodrone (which they are, per their profile) is already obsessing about possible romances.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Very unspectacular trailer.

I also wasn't expecting dated graphics, to be honest.
I thought maybe it was a case of the game being in development before M$ bought Obsidian but no, that does not appear to be the case. Micro$hit's game division are simply incompetent. It's not surprising if you've watched any Redfall videos. They are managed by literal retards. Say what you want about Sony but they fucking clown on M$ day in, day out when it comes to first party managment.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Something very serious must have happened in this project. The art direction changed completely, comparing to the initial trailer, from 3 years ago.

I'd love to hear the internal story about it. It doesn't sounds good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Something very serious must have happened in this project. The art direction changed completely, comparing to the initial trailer, from 3 years ago.

I'd love to hear the internal story about it. It doesn't sounds good.
"I may be getting some times wrong, but back in January 2021 the project was so screwed up that Chris Parker was pulled off as project director and replaced with Carrie Patel, Bobby Null was pulled off as creative lead, and Dan Platt was replaced by Matt Hansen as art director."

That's what happened. This fellow did his own take on it (who was either coaxed this way or approved by Patel):

Reminder to Black artists out there who are looking for portfolio reviews or job advice: my DMs are open, and you will always have my priority. We got too many crusty white dudes in this field, please let me help you replace me one day - I want to go back to living in the woods.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This is what happens when you are more focused on getting black people, women and trannies into your company than in making a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom