Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Ryzer

Arcane
This game is going to be better than PoE 1-2, not that's a high bar to catch.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In Avowed the plague is in the colony, not in the imperial homeland.
"Flipped one detail, can't call us a rip-off. :smug:" - Feargus Urquhart

Funny, but personally I'm more disturbed by them reusing the plot hook of a plague from Pillars of Eternity. This one seems more generic in nature at first glance (oooh magical tumors).

Pretty sure they will use Gods, Engwitians, souls, plague... maybe all of this combined with some "ancient evil".

They will do a patchwork with the Livings Lands. Its a place with vulcanos, valleys, farms, caves, giant trees, cold... they have it all. You are going to visit a region here, travel there, travel a little bit more, and more and this is it. They dont need to show a lot, just different places in the same region, exactly like Outer Worlds. Maybe they even give you a ship. Again.

Delterius

Arcane
Avowed plot: some shit is happening in The Living Lands. The PC character finds out that this is related to some problem with the Maegfolc and the gods, after the events that happened in PoE1 and 2. Probably some shit god as Rymrgand. The PC character resolves the issue, but at the end some other thing happened due to it. The end.

You heard it here first.
wrong. there's an engwithan machine that makes the living lands go and you're now the herald of galawain because the cycle of reincarnation is breaking down there first.

Third time is the charm for making a main plot about gods that nobody cares about.
a proper skyrim rip off would have a sidequest for every god a la daedric princes but they were forced to downsize to galawain being the main plot

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This comparison definitely does highlight how lacking Obsidian is in the art department, Greedfall completely dumpsters this game visually, despite having probably a fraction of the budget/manpower.

Greedfall had the same budget as Pillars of Eternity. Granted they had the benefit of using the same engine they've had since 2013's Mars War Logs.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Avowed plot: some shit is happening in The Living Lands. The PC character finds out that this is related to some problem with the Maegfolc and the gods, after the events that happened in PoE1 and 2. Probably some shit god as Rymrgand. The PC character resolves the issue, but at the end some other thing happened due to it. The end.

You heard it here first.
wrong. there's an engwithan machine that makes the living lands go and you're now the herald of galawain because the cycle of reincarnation is breaking down there first.

Third time is the charm for making a main plot about gods that nobody cares about.
a proper skyrim rip off would have a sidequest for every god a la daedric princes but they were forced to downsize to galawain being the main plot

The first PoE was Woedica.
White Marsh -> Abydon
Po2 -> Eothas
BoW -> Rymrgand
SSS -> Galawain
TFS -> Wael

They are running out of options...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It looks like an ESO screenshot.
da81ffed39df7829df0a68d7a4bb952c.jpg
Inb4 the trailer protagonist is a Black Aedyrian. Infinitron called it.

Oh my god it wasn't until I shitposted about Greedfall that I realized that this game is a total rip-off of Greedfall.

Greedfall:
An island paradise has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations from fictional lands, but with magic and monsters. Players assume the role of De Sardet, a neutral Human who recently arrived at the island, able to ally with either the natives who inhabit the land, or any of the foreign nations competing to conquer and colonize the "new" land, while also trying to find a cure to a mysterious illness that plagues De Sardet and their homeland.

Avowed:
As an envoy of the kingdom of Aedyr, you are sent to the far-off island known as the Living Lands to investigate rumors of a spreading plague. The island itself is full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choices and consequences. The Living Lands is a place that feels foreign at all times yet somewhat intrinsic to you as it feels the island itself is calling out to you for help. Explore an island home to many different environments and landscapes, each with their own unique ecosystem.

Obsidiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. :argh:

Watch it be worse too. :P
Another Imitative product, like I said.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What a fucking trainwreck of a presentation. This looks absolutely terrible in all regards and is generating zero hype... This screenshot is straight out of Greedfall.
4458071a7b49eb64d24e1bba30daa2fd.jpg

Ryzer

Arcane
Who is the writer in this dumpsterfire? Just to know what we have to endure.

Delterius

Arcane
Remember when games got released without much buildup, maybe a preview?
i remember when magazines already had walkthroughs before release

Those were better days for gaming.

When we were younger, and things sucked less.
wouldn't have gotten through the japanese version of symphony of the night without those magazines. still don't know why the japanese version was the only one available in the grand piracy bazaars. incidentally i miss those.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Remember when games got released without much buildup, maybe a preview?
No I remember reading magazines and playing lots of demos.
Nothing wrong with that, at least by that point you could form your own opinion. Nowadays, before it gets to the demo or beta stage, you pretty much know all you never wanted to know, just reading and listening critically.

Ryzer

Arcane
What the heck
Narrative Lead
@Obsidian
| Formerly
@RiotGames

@CallofDuty

@EA

@2KGames
| Writer on Jinx, Yasuo, and Zac | The tweets are mine | He/him
https://twitter.com/RansomLo
:negative: Jeez his twitter is glorious.
His linkedIn mentions that:

Honors & Awards​

• Semifinalist - Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting​

Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences​

I placed in the top 30 (out of over 6000 entries) in the annual screenwriting competition held by the organization that awards Oscars for excellence in film. I even received a phone call from the guy who produced Network(!), telling me how beautiful he thought my writing was.

You know, there was a change in atmosphere right there in POE 2 compared to POE 1. While absolutely bland and more convoluted than it had any right to be, POE1's general themes dealt with pretty somber stuff. I haven't completed POE2, sure, but right from the get go you can feel that it becomes a fun fantasy flick with pirates, a giant cartoony god, and more shenanigans of the sort. So it anything changes, it's not like it hadn't happened before.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Who is the writer in this dumpsterfire? Just to know what we have to endure.
Lucien Soulban.

I seriously thought this was joke until I did a google search. Sounds like someone's dnd name.
this is the pillars thread and we are sleeping on so many soul related puns, it hurts

I'll be completely honest. I played through at least 50% of the first POE game I don't remember anything at all about it. Nada.

It's a mystery to me. Crazy. For all I know, I might've even finished the thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom