Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They probably have no idea what they are making at this point. Before the game is even released, they already came up with a lot of excuses.
Very strong Anthem vibes, where the market shifted, so your focus shifted, and now you aren't sure what you are making - you just know so much money was spent, that SOMETHING has to get released.
Or Bloodlines 2 ;(

It's not about the market, the game was in development hell because the original director tried to make a Skyrim clone and failed. This was reported last year: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-coming-fall-2024.134122/page-79#post-8520958
Well yes, but additionally when historians study the great divergence in the video game industry, they will declare two time periods: Before Baldur's Gate 3, and After Baldur's Gate 3.
Avowed was designed BBG3, and was scheduled to release ABG3. This rift in player expectation makes the product not viable. Nobody wants Skyrim anymore, Skyrim was a BBG3 product, and unacceptable today.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Man, I hate modern AAA gamedev interviews because they say absolutely nothing about nothing. Like I skimmed through the above and it's all shit like

But how exactly do companions work in Avowed?

"If you go into an encounter, they will follow you and they'll fight alongside you," Patel explains. "And they'll draw some of the aggro with you. But yes, you can absolutely make use of their specific abilities, which are all tied to their combat roles if you want to exercise a little more control."

It's like ChatGPT dialogue on "what does a companion do in RPGs?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"More like New Vegas"

Except without the good writing

or the option to complete it without killing anyone

or the ability to play without ever picking up a single companion

or companions who will leave you when you do something they strongly disagree with

or etc

user

Savant
In evolving the classic Skyrim-esque combat experience, Paramo also cites a desire to switch up funnelling mechanics that force players to get around a combat problem in one way. "Like, hey, here's a character that's blocking, you need to power attack that," he uses as an example. In Avowed, however, there are other ways to break an enemy's blocking stance.
Holy shit, this sounds really deep.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These websites are clickbait garbage. At no point in that PCGamesN article are Patel and Paramo quoted saying that the game will be a "New Vegas-like". They only directly liken it to The Outer Worlds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
These websites are clickbait garbage. In fact, at no point in that PCGamesN article are Patel and Paramo quoted saying the game will be a "New Vegas-like". They only directly liken it to The Outer World.
You can strike out the part about writing but

"or the option to complete it without killing anyone

or the ability to play without ever picking up a single companion

or companions who will leave you when you do something they strongly disagree with"

still applies. :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, I hate modern AAA gamedev interviews because they say absolutely nothing about nothing. Like I skimmed through the above and it's all shit like

But how exactly do companions work in Avowed?

"If you go into an encounter, they will follow you and they'll fight alongside you," Patel explains. "And they'll draw some of the aggro with you. But yes, you can absolutely make use of their specific abilities, which are all tied to their combat roles if you want to exercise a little more control."

It's like ChatGPT dialogue on "what does a companion do in RPGs?"
It actually tells a lot, but not about the game but about how much the developer understands games and game design. By normies for normies.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In evolving the classic Skyrim-esque combat experience, Paramo also cites a desire to switch up funnelling mechanics that force players to get around a combat problem in one way. "Like, hey, here's a character that's blocking, you need to power attack that," he uses as an example. In Avowed, however, there are other ways to break an enemy's blocking stance.
Holy shit, this sounds really deep.
deep-esque

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Look, you can have interesting companions or you can have two ways to break an enemy's block. We're only a AA developer guys.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer

AwesomeButton

Patron
with combinations – or 'combinatorics' as I call it
But this man is simply con-genial!

Reminds me of another titan of eloquation:

"Where I roam, the masses quabble with pertubisiveness and trepidunction!"
Screenshot_20240130_212831.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
Look, you can have interesting companions or you can have two ways to break an enemy's block. We're only a AA developer guys.
It is going to blow my mind if I can tell my companion to break the enemy's block, but I dont know if that kind of technology is possible

Rhobar121

Scholar
It is going to blow my mind if I can tell my companion to break the enemy's block, but I dont know if that kind of technology is possible
Obsidian will discover command issuing in about 10 years. Of course they will announce this as the main revolutionary feature of their next game.

Gargaune

Arcane
Obsidian will discover command issuing in about 10 years. Of course they will announce this as the main revolutionary feature of their next game.
You lot think you're being funny, but you live in a world where GOTY 2023 doesn't do point & click party selection.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Oh wait scratch that. In Skyrim, it's about race which determines what you're good at. That is sort of like a class.

It's really not. The difference between base skill levels and race's favored skills is only 5-10 points, basically nothing for an Elder Scrolls game. Besides that, some racial abilities don't jive with skill bonuses anyway (Argonians get bonuses to thief-like skills, but their racial ability makes them the best straightforward melee tanks for instance).

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's really not. The difference between base skill levels and race's favored skills is only 5-10 points, basically nothing for an Elder Scrolls game. Besides that, some racial abilities don't jive with skill bonuses anyway (Argonians get bonuses to thief-like skills, but their racial ability makes them the best straightforward melee tanks for instance).
The point is that it informs what kind of character you should develop.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The point is that it informs what kind of character you should develop.
I think most people don't even realize the racial skill bonuses are a thing. The game doesn't tell you anything during character creation, and it's pretty easy to assume the choice of race is going to be cosmetic only.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think most people don't even realize the racial skill bonuses are a thing. The game doesn't tell you anything during character creation, and it's pretty easy to assume the choice of race is going to be cosmetic only.
They don't give you the nerdy numbers but they do include a description of what they're good at.
Skyrim_SE_Bosmer-1024x566.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
I've heard argonians are good at polishing spears. Which class is that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom