Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Takamori

Learned
I just wanna see the crash site.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I finally summoned the strength, or the might, to watch this. Surely it has been mentioned before, but Obsidian need to fix their map objects' settings, because the mushrooms in the cave don't seem to be affected by the ambient lighting. That's a UE5 game ffs, and they still manage to screw up the visual presentation.

Since we all know the quest design is of the established "Mommy Carrie's Cookie Cutter" brand, I won't waste space.

It's like Obsidian is on a mission to repulse players from RPGs.

TOW's vertical slice was two factions looking for the same object, both seem to be too dumb to go get it. But the player is the only one who can shoot a couple of baddies and flip a couple of switches, and C&C ensues when he has to choose who to return it to. Divert power or whatever the fuck, we are not even trying.

Now we get Avowed's vertical slice, and the quest is copy-paste - "hurr durr I don't know where these guys are from the expedition, but I bet they are conveniently right where the mcguffin I'm looking for is, why don't you get it for me". And in a typical example of the Sawyer school of quest design, the ending is anticlimactic. If that's the level of inspiration and originality, just shut down this company already.

My bar is so low by now that I was impressed by the fact that the skeletons seem to have a shield push attack.

In stark contrast to Obsidian's last RPG, the female PC's model looked rather attractive. I wonder if they outsourced the work on the faces and the people just did a good job, or is this the result of someone at Obsidian going against the woke mandate on plain looking women. The mushroom outgrowths looked more like a hat than what you expect to see in a godlike's appearance.
Every time the Aumaua companion interjects it's pure cringe. Really great innovation in RPG dialogues.
Thank you. I did say that face animations will make or break the RPG experience in a full 3d, non-isometric game, but Roguey was adamant that stilted stock animations can't cast a shadow over Obsidian's narrative genius.
Why do every single one of these articles that praise the game sound like it was the journo's first RPG?
I guess the articles themselves are being written for the kind of audience which hasn't played an RPG before. First, who else would read journo drivel by now? Second, lots of people who will buy Avowid (there will be some) will only do so because it's their first game.

First-person combat will never be excellent, specially in fantasy games were you want to use melee.

I hope that video is a joke, guy just swings at air the whole time and enemies fly away lol.
It is perfect feature why FP melee combat sucks in all such games.
Josh Sawyer said:
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Even with the cheating there were times when I would try to stab a downed opponent and only hit ground because it's still finicky.
The best compromise between gameplay and realism I've seen in that regard has been Thief and there is very little room to go in the simulationist direction before the obvious problems coming with a 3D environment projected on a 2D surface start getting in the way of gameplay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In stark contrast to Obsidian's last RPG, the female PC's model looked rather attractive. I wonder if they outsourced the work on the faces and the people just did a good job, or is this the result of someone at Obsidian going against the woke mandate on plain looking women. The mushroom outgrowths looked more like a hat than what you expect to see a godlike's appearance.
The chain of command on The Outer Worlds was Omar Aweidah as character art lead, Daniel Alpert as art director, and Leonard Boyarsky as game director in charge of art (Tim said he refrained from getting involved on this matter). On Avowed it's Dimitri Berman as character art lead, Matt Hansen as art director, and Patel as game director.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
In stark contrast to Obsidian's last RPG, the female PC's model looked rather attractive. I wonder if they outsourced the work on the faces and the people just did a good job, or is this the result of someone at Obsidian going against the woke mandate on plain looking women. The mushroom outgrowths looked more like a hat than what you expect to see a godlike's appearance.
The chain of command on The Outer Worlds was Omar Aweidah as character art lead, Daniel Alpert as art director, and Leonard Boyarsky as game director in charge of art (Tim said he refrained from getting involved on this matter). On Avowed it's Dimitri Berman as character art lead, Matt Hansen as art director, and Patel as game director.
And whats chain of command on outer worlds 2? on anything including art?

The Nameless One

Literate
They threw out MCA and made the tattowed hipster with autism lead designer

90br6s.jpg
Now this is lore-accurate.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Brandon Adler's the new game director, Alpert is still the art director, Dan Platt, who designed the robots on TOW, is the new character art lead.
And what about Boyarsky? And what is Tim Cains influence/role? Do you know? Boyarsky I thought was game director or lead?

Quillon

Arcane
Brandon Adler's the new game director, Alpert is still the art director, Dan Platt, who designed the robots on TOW, is the new character art lead.
And what about Boyarsky? And what is Tim Cains influence/role? Do you know? Boyarsky I thought was game director or lead?
Cain is/was remote contract worker, his influence should be minimal other than the unfun first gaym they are sequelling. Boyarsky must be creative/narrative lead this time around.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cain is/was remote contract worker, his influence should be minimal other than the unfun first gaym they are sequelling. Boyarsky must be creative/narrative lead this time around.
Boyarsky and Cain are long time close friends, I imagine Tims contribution is not that small, and will be listented to in great detail. why else have him as a contractor, and he was literally the game directonr on TOW 1...

scytheavatar

Scholar
Boyarsky and Cain are long time close friends, I imagine Tims contribution is not that small, and will be listented to in great detail. why else have him as a contractor, and he was literally the game directonr on TOW 1...

Tim is retired, he made it clear to the people at Obsidian that they have to step up and fill his boots in the next game. I am sure people in Obsidian want to listen to him but ultimately they have to make a better game than TOW 1 (much better in fact) and there's only so much Tim can do to help them reach that level.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Tim is retired, he made it clear to the people at Obsidian that they have to step up and fill his boots in the next game. I am sure people in Obsidian want to listen to him but ultimately they have to make a better game than TOW 1 (much better in fact) and there's only so much Tim can do to help them reach that level.

Tim didn't want to be a lead anymore because Feargus broke his promise not to second-guess him. Not his problems anymore, just there to code.

Longes

Augur
Now we get Avowed's vertical slice, and the quest is copy-paste - "hurr durr I don't know where these guys are from the expedition, but I bet they are conveniently right where the mcguffin I'm looking for is, why don't you get it for me". And in a typical example of the Sawyer school of quest design, the ending is anticlimactic. If that's the level of inspiration and originality, just shut down this company already.
Sorry. Did you miss that the dead expedition isn't where the mcguffin is? That the guy actually knows where the dead expedition is because he's the one who murdered them?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Quillon

Arcane
I see why Feargus made Patel GD: So he can meddle to his heart's content and if it doesn't work out all the blame goes to her.

:slamdunk:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Swen is going to have a new game out before these clowns finish their game of chicken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom