Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That Solasta UI looks like a WIP. What. the. fuck.

Arcanum has one of my favorite UIs when it comes to blending the setting into the interface. Basically give me an UI that I can reasonably tie to a distinct RPG as opposed to a racing simulator.

arcanum_5.jpg
See, I honestly think this style of UI would be easily replicable even today, simply by using textures.

Every game has textures. They're on the walls, the floors, the ceilings. Just slap a woodgrain texture on an UI element and it will look almost as good as Arcanum's wooden elements here.
Then just add a golden border around the elements and you're good. Most of the golden borders here don't even have a complex texture, just a bit of gradient or bevel.

All the people who claim it's impossible to make an UI like this when considering scaling for different modern resolutions never manage to explain why.
Why would just slapping a woodgrain texture as a background not work?
Why can't you use fancy golden borders with simple effects like gradient and bevel, which fucking Photoshop can apply automatically, to surround your interface elements? Goddamn Windows XP managed to have that, and it never had any issues with resolution scaling! On resizeable windows, no less!

But no, modern UI designers seem to be incapable of the simplest solutions.

ferratilis

Magister
I still think Owlcat has the best UI design among modern RPG developers. No space is wasted, everything is easy to read and the layout is familiar to anyone who has played the classics. It scales nicely with all resolutions and is even easy to navigate with a controller.
Other than Owlcat, Warhorse deserves praise on their UI design, for the same reasons I mentioned. The excuse that Solasta devs used sounds like bullshit, they just need better UI designers.

79pMb8T.jpeg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd say Pillars games had the best UI, it was a good marriage between modern and classic style. Minimalistic where it needs to be, but fancy where possible.

No idea wtf they are doing with Avowed.

Worst UI offender is definitely Larian though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom