Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd rather they'd talk about... Avowed, y'know?
They finally realized that every time Patel does, she kills the anticipation just a little bit more. So now Obsidian are pursuing the bold marketing plan of hyping up the game by never talking about it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'd rather they'd talk about... Avowed, y'know?
They finally realized that every time Patel does, she kills the anticipation just a little bit more. So now Obsidian are pursuing the bold marketing plan of hyping up the game by never talking about it.
Ah the VtMB2 strategy.

Next we'll see Obsidian release devlogs describing the most mundane things known to man, screengrabs of the Unreal editor and best of all, animated concept art.

Because this is what professionals do.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It is kind of amazing that no studio has made a true, open-world, first person fantasy RPG to fill the Skyrim void. It feels like a $1,000 bill just waiting to be picked up up off the ground.

the mole

Scholar
Shitposter
Enter KCD2.
cool, no magic, fighting generic muslim 521343

it's pretty weak honestly

it depends on how big of battles they'll allow you to play in, but bannerlord already exists

I understand this is supposed to be a cultural victory for me the white man that a game featuring a straight white male is created, but kcd1 was pretty mediocre

the mole

Scholar
Shitposter
It is kind of amazing that no studio has made a true, open-world, first person fantasy RPG to fill the Skyrim void. It feels like a $1,000 bill just waiting to be picked up up off the ground.
indeed, it's pretty simple to make something better than them

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
indeed, it's pretty simple to make something better than them
I'm not saying it is easy, or that it has to be "better" than Skyrim. But there is a void that needs filling, even a half-hearted effort would be appreciated. Skyrim is almost 13 years old at this point, and it is still the first game that comes up when most people think "Open World, first person RPG".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't put my hopes into this being a Skyrim clone. For all intents and purposes, this is TOW in its open world design rather than FNV.
They've already confirmed it's a series of hubs rather than open world. If Obsidian were a politician, his campaign slogan would be "Don't get your hopes up!"

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In May 2011, CDPR released The Witcher II, modeled on Bioware's games rather than attempting to elaborate on the first Witcher game's formula, and achieved substantially greater sales relative to that first game, only to find themselves eclipsed in November by the juggernaut of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Aware that Bethesda would subsequently work on another Fallout game before returning to The Elder Scrolls, CDPR spent the next four years on an Open World Witcher sequel, modeled to a considerable extent on the previous three Elder Scrolls games, and released it in May 2015 to achieve another considerable boost in sales, if not quite comparable to Skyrim's long-term commercial success. Bethesda released Fallout 4 in November 2015 and was disappointed that it did not replicate Skyrim's immense sales (though it sold quite well on its own terms).

The problem since then is that CDPR decided to establish another IP, in a science fiction setting (Cyberpunk 2013/2020) acquired while working on The Witcher 3, while undoubtedly expecting that Bethesda would immediately initiate work on the next Elder Scrolls game. If both companies had taken another four years to complete their games, this would have seen Cyberpunk 2077 arrive in May 2019, followed by TES VI: Hammerfell in November 2019. Instead, Bethesda somehow spent 8 years creating an Open World space RPG, that isn't Open World, fails to make use of space other than spaceship combat, and isn't much of an RPG. Meanwhile, CDPR took a year-and-a-half longer than expected to release Cyberpunk 2077, and only managed even that by releasing it in a buggy state lacking many intended features and probably much other content.

If Bethesda is able to complete TES VI in just four years (which it won't accomplish), 16 years will have passed between entries in the series. CDPR does seem to have followed the obvious path of returning to the Witcher IP for its next game, but they apparently need more than four years to complete it, so it won't be releasing in 2024, and, considering no details have been confirmed yet, development might take much longer than four years.

A disaster for both companies.

they're smart enough to not level scale it, I would assume, that was basically the only problem with oblivion, everything else is oldfag cope
It could be a coin toss.
Apparently developers learned over the years that level scaling isn't exactly a popular solution, but most of them never learned that omitting level scaling also means your progression system must be suited for a non-linear approach (i.e. it should not ramp up in power too quickly, it shouldn't add unnecessary stat bloat, it shouldn't deliver absurd amounts of loot and compulsive itemization that the player is forced to filter constantly, etc, etc).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I'm not saying it is easy, or that it has to be "better" than Skyrim. But there is a void that needs filling, even a half-hearted effort would be appreciated. Skyrim is almost 13 years old at this point, and it is still the first game that comes up when most people think "Open World, first person RPG".
CP2077 came the closest. Including the modding for that game. And the retards will switch to UE5 and pledge their allegiance to DEI and woke and LGBT culture. There you go, the only competitor out there, gone. This is one of the worst timelines for video games.

BrainMuncher

Educated
Perhaps not but the whole industry used "open world" as a checkbox buzzword for ten years, and inserted RPG elements and perks into everything.

Even racing games like need for speed are now open world with "points of interest" and levelled loot.

That was the influence skyrim had on corporate gaming, pointless open worlds that are basically just glorified level select menus, with shallow and equally pointless "RPG elements"

scytheavatar

Scholar

Why would they when they can make an Elden Ring which makes Skyrim look like the trash it is? Most people with brains already know that it's difficult to get first person melee combat right and going third person makes their lives way more easy.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Enter KCD2.
cool, no magic, fighting generic muslim 521343
As opposed to fighting generic goblin/forsworn/draugr in Skyrim?

At least in KCD, enemies might fuck you up if you're not paying attention, due to a combat system that isn't focused on clicking enemies to death.
it's pretty weak honestly

it depends on how big of battles they'll allow you to play in, but bannerlord already exists

I understand this is supposed to be a cultural victory for me the white man that a game featuring a straight white male is created, but kcd1 was pretty mediocre
You're pretty mediocre if you can't appreciate KCD's greatness when it comes to quest design, combat, exploration, underlying mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom