Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
- Tries to post low-effort cringe humor trailer.

- Trailer is clearly high-budget, high effort, unfunny.

Bitches please. This is how you do it.

I spent no money/fucks on the below shit and it shows.

I've seen those sprites in at least 4 different games, it def shows

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I honestly expect the same exact scenario with DA4 as what happened with Starfield.

Game launches, fanboys and many journos (game will be packed to the gills with The Message) will be waxing lyrically, but already dark reality starts creeping into the candy Barbie world of "wooow this game is amaaazing" and soon the whole edifice comes crashing down and the game ends up sitting at Mixed of Mostly Negative on Steam.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
744crystalball2_100483.png
prognostication x

Gargaune

Arcane
I honestly expect the same exact scenario with DA4 as what happened with Starfield.

Game launches, fanboys and many journos (game will be packed to the gills with The Message) will be waxing lyrically, but already dark reality starts creeping into the candy Barbie world of "wooow this game is amaaazing" and soon the whole edifice comes crashing down and the game ends up sitting at Mixed of Mostly Negative on Steam.
That also depends on brand reach. If you're only selling to the faithful, it's less likely you'll get overwhelming blowback as they struggle to keep buyer's remorse at bay. Which, in turn, might prevent the backlash from reaching the sort of Internet Phenomenon™ avalanche that Cyberpunk or Starfield got snowed under. If you sell to everyone, well... fuck you and the horse your rode in on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think a lot of people give a shit about Avowed, which ironically might be safer for Obsidian's prospects under Microsoft than if they did.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
- Tries to post low-effort cringe humor trailer.

- Trailer is clearly high-budget, high effort, unfunny.

Bitches please. This is how you do it.

I spent no money/fucks on the below shit and it shows.

I've seen those sprites in at least 4 different games, it def shows

How the fuck I miss that KS? I must’ve been really depressed. Well, I’ll just wait for itchio release.

Unless the action gameplay hits some massive improvement between the leak and launch I don’t expect any lyrical waxing to be going on. Not unless there’s some unknown aspect of the game for them to do that over.

They’re throwing their hat in the arena of action gameplay, melee action gameplay, and it looked terrible in the leak. Dragon Age 4 is going to be judged against all the various Hack & Slash games on the market, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to come out looking good if the bit of leaked gameplay we saw last year is any indication.

scytheavatar

Scholar
So can Avowed be the Baldurs gate 3 killer or will we have to wait for Dragon Age 4

Dreadwolf is aiming to be a God of War killer, if it ends up being the best game ever made it would become the game Yoshi-P wanted FFXVI to be rather than some BG3 killer. Avowed originally was aiming to be a Skyrim killer but now that they have downgraded the game to being a medieval The Outer Worlds it seems being an Outer Worlds killer is the best they can hope for.

Basically the game with the best chance of being a BG3 killer is the next game Larian is making.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Unless the action gameplay hits some massive improvement between the leak and launch I don’t expect any lyrical waxing to be going on. Not unless there’s some unknown aspect of the game for them to do that over.

They’re throwing their hat in the arena of action gameplay, melee action gameplay, and it looked terrible in the leak. Dragon Age 4 is going to be judged against all the various Hack & Slash games on the market, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to come out looking good if the bit of leaked gameplay we saw last year is any indication.
After what dragon's dogma 2 has been showing in gameplay videos, bioware and Obsidian should be ashamed by the shit they are peddling as "action rpg combat" in their next AAA RPGs.

Zeriel

Arcane
After what dragon's dogma 2 has been showing in gameplay videos, bioware and Obsidian should be ashamed by the shit they are peddling as "action rpg combat" in their next AAA RPGs.
They have different priorities.

My favorite excuse. Imagine it in other arenas of life.

"We had different priorities than winning the war. If only you understood the avant garde art piece we were constructing at Saigon."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My favorite excuse. Imagine it in other arenas of life.

"We had different priorities than winning the war. If only you understood the avant garde art piece we were constructing at Saigon."
I liked Dragon's Dogma well enough but it's not giving me what I want when I want to play a Bioware or Obsidian-branded game. All games/studios have different priorities, some are going to be more suited for what you want than others.

scytheavatar

Scholar

What have they been showing in gameplay videos? As I said in the DD2 thread, the original DD was a 7.5/10 game with some cool ideas but design issues which go beyond it being jank. And DD2 seems to be DD1.5 more than some effort to make an actual good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom