Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wonder between this and Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, which one will end up being the better Elder Scroll-like RPG? Despite Obsidian having bigger budget (Microsoft buck) than the devs of Tainted Grail, I have the feeling it will be the latter, especially after the borefest that is The Outer World.
That's a low bar x 1

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-Reads thread and watches video-

1705629805516.png

It looks like Outer Worlds set in some bland, generic medieval fantasy settings with xaurips instead of kobolds, fampyrs instead of vampires, and Morrowind style combat. Ugh, to think these people's antecedents once made PST and Fallout 1/2...

The soulless ChatGPT PR talk really takes the cake for me.

"We set out to blend the BELIEVABLE and FANTASTICAL to give players an EXPERIENCE LIKE NO OTHER"

"our combat brings the BEST of the MOMENT-TO-MOMENT FUN that comes with ACTION-ORIENTED GAMPLAY"

"our overarching goal is to EMPOWER YOU WITH CHOICE"

"the way YOU want to PLAY from MOMENT TO MOMENT, UNINTERRUPTED"

Fuck off, cunts

You can generally tell that a combat system is going to be utter shite when they start mixing swordplay with magic.

The vast majority of RPG combat designers cannot even make a good swordplay system or a good magic system separately, so throwing the two together is just a recipe for mindless LMB-spam combat. This kind of stuff is pushed by people who cannot grasp the coolness of real medieval combat (think HEMA or Kendo) or the wonder of an elegantly designed magic system (something that involves thought and experimentation), so they just throw all this shit together like a drunk fraternity bro (heyyyyy maaaannn, wouldn't it be cool if I could fling fireballs with my left hand and swing my sword around with my right????).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The vast majority of RPG combat designers cannot even make a good swordplay system

What's even the closest someone has gotten to a good first person swordplay system?

Dark Messiah? Mount and Blade? Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Chivalry 2? Mordhau?

Swordplay outside VR will probably always be bad.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance (with a couple of light mods) is really good.

M&B: Warband is third person, but yes, also really good. Haven't played Bannerlord yet.

If we are talking third person, Gothic 1/2 were quite good for their time, and Risen is good. The new Zelda games also have well designed action combat. Sekiro. Nioh, etc. That combat game, Hellish Quart.

To design a good melee combat system, you gotta abandon a lot of terrible historical design tropes. Stop with the mindless attack spam, the rolling, the infinite length blocks, and many others. You gotta understand that real melee combat is reactive and dynamic and complex. You do A, enemies responds by doing B, you adjust by doing C, and so on. Parries, ripostes, dodges, footwork and movement, different attacks and combos, feints. Just watch any good movie duel, imagine if we had those systems in games...

Instead you got shit like this, where you hurl a cold turd at someone and it freezes them, and then you hit them with a sword. Yeah...

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly it looks ok. Had not for dragon's dogma 2 or other relatively excellent RPG in the AAA space like baldur's gate 3, i would reasonably be interested in this. Alas the rpg landscape is very different than when TOW released.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What's even the closest someone has gotten to a good first person swordplay system?
Vermintide 2/Darktide's melee combat is good, HEMA autists will just never admit it.

It's good but overly simplistic because they're horde shooters/slashers. I spent most of my time in DT with an OP dagger bleed build anyways....

Realistic swordplay in a game would require a lot of HEMA-type considerations.

Which I doubt that Avowed will have. Probably won't expect more than a light attack, strong attack, block and parry.

It truly is just Skyrim with more colors.

TheKing01

Novice
Well, the graphics are certainly pleasing - at least from an art design standpoint.

Interested to see if the first person melee combat is serviceable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom