Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Readher

Savant
Looks like some indie game made with Unreal assets. In Todd we trust.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/11/obsidians-avowed-is-coming-in-2024/

Obsidian’s Avowed Is Coming in 2024: Learn More About the First Gameplay Trailer​

Summary​

• Xbox Games Showcase offered a new glimpse of Avowed with the first gameplay trailer.
  • Meet Kai, the first of a cast of companions who will accompany you through the Living Lands.
  • Learn about how Obsidian has created an all-new first-person combat system – play your way with a combination of swords, pistols, magic, and more.
  • Learn about the weird and wonderful Living Lands, a new setting in Obsidian’s world of Eora, familiar to fans of the Pillars of Eternity series.
We at Obsidian Entertainment know players have been anticipating an updated look at Avowed and we’re excited to show off what we’ve been working on with a first-ever gameplay trailer today at Xbox Games Showcase 2023.

Dawnshore-Eastern-Overlands

Expanding the universe that we created for the original Pillars of Eternity games, Avowed brings a new perspective, a new way to fight, and a new land to explore in the world of Eora. The Pillars games are near and dear to us and we can’t wait to share Avowed with everyone next year.

In Avowed, you’ll explore the Living Lands, a plagued, wild island set in the world of Eora. The Living Lands are full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choice and consequences.

Galawains-Tusks-God-Shrine

Unique to the world of Eora, the Living Lands is home to bustling port towns and rolling hills adorned with weird and fantastical plant life. Every part of the Living Lands is home to its own ecosystem. Around every corner there are creatures, sentient mushrooms, or tribes of lizard-like Xaurips looking to make you their next meal…

As with all our past RPGs, the companions in Avowed play a major role in your adventure. The first companion you will find is Kai, the narrator of this gameplay trailer. Kai is a Coastal Aumaua currently residing in the Living Lands and is one of the only friendly faces you’ll find here. He is a former soldier, and his idealistic and pragmatic temperament will help guide you as you venture out into this wild frontier.

Avowed-Combat-02

First-person combat has been a huge focus for us. We’ve incorporated a host of ways for players to fight the flora and fauna of the Living Lands. You will have swords, shields, pistols, magical spells, and more at your disposal, including the ability to dual wield, creating a vast number of combinations to choose from.

Avowed-Xaurips

With combat so full of possibility, diversity in choice will be needed as you explore the treacherous Living Lands. Home to the Xuarips, plagued undead, and dangerous flora, this island is full of unique enemies to encounter. 

Galawains-Tusks-Slumbering-Fields

We’re looking forward to sharing much, much more with everyone as we get closer to the release of Avowed next year.

Avowed will be released in 2024 on Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10/11, and Steam. It will also be available on day one with Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass. 

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
What actually happened to the art style? Original screenshot and teaser had a way more serious tone that this shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam page:

Set in the fictional world of Eora that was first introduced to players in the Pillars of Eternity franchise, Avowed is a first-person fantasy RPG from the award-winning team at Obsidian Entertainment. You are the envoy of Aedyr, a distant land, sent to investigate rumors of a spreading plague. You discover a personal connection to the land itself and an ancient secret that threatens to destroy everything. Can you save the island and your soul from the forces threatening to tear them asunder?

The Weird and Wonderful Living Lands

As an envoy of the kingdom of Aedyr, you are sent to the far-off island known as the Living Lands to investigate rumors of a spreading plague. The island itself is full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choices and consequences. The Living Lands is a place that feels foreign at all times yet somewhat intrinsic to you as it feels the island itself is calling out to you for help. Explore an island home to many different environments and landscapes, each with their own unique ecosystem.

Visceral Combat to Play Your Way

Face the many dangerous creatures inhabiting the Living Lands in any way you desire. Mix and match swords, spells, guns, and shields to make quick work of enemies. Freeze an enemy in their place then smash them with your axe. Dig into your grimoire for spells to trap an enemy so you can follow up with a blow from your sword. Bash an enemy with your shield to stun them before driving your sword into them and kicking them off a cliff. How you approach each engaging combat situation is up to you.

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION​

The developers describe the content like this:
Avowed contains realistic violence against intelligent species. It also contains realistic violence against wildlife and fantastical creatures. Vulgar language is used throughout the story containing mature themes, drug and alcohol references, and sexual references. The player may also participate in drug and alcohol use with their companions.

Perkel

Arcane
That's quite an achievement to produce worse looking game than original Pillars nearly decade after it was released...

Looks like cheap mobile game.

Readher

Savant
What actually happened to the art style? Original screenshot and teaser had a way more serious tone that this shit.
Realistic assets on UE store were too expensive for Feargus, so they had to settle on pajeet assets made after watching a Udemy Blender course.

Delterius

Arcane
As an envoy of the kingdom of Aedyr, you are sent to the far-off island known as the Living Lands to investigate rumors of a spreading plague.
watcherine i am your maecwyn* and i need you to investigate the island of pwgranfel, but rest assured i won't send you there as a prisoner (maybe)

*hypertext link too large, please improve your internet plan to download it

Cross

Arcane
The combat looks like it's shamelessly ripping off Skyrim, right down to the "weapon in one hand, magic in the other hand" gimmick.

The only thing that might be worse than the combat is the art style, which looks utterly generic. It looks more like Neverwinter Nights 2 than anything else. Drab and sterile.

zKwAnsD.png

It looks worse than a low-budget game (which also happens to be a first-person action-RPG) released almost 20 years ago.

dm-03-23.jpg

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter
Mixed on that trailer. For a 'gameplay' trailer each portion of actual gameplay is heavily edited down to one attack animation. There are maybe six seconds of gameplay there. Also, all of this is about combat and not exploration/traversal or anything.

Lots of trailers never aim to do more than what three or four screenshots already conveyed. I'm guessing this game's scope is a small fraction of what they originally intended or alluded to. Setting my expectations lower but could still be alright.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Come on infinitron, there is nothing edgy about this. It looks generic as hell.

Perhaps they'll improve things before release but this is hardly encouraging.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Budget-wise looks similar to The Outer Worlds (ie, not top of the line AAAA). It doesn't look like a mobile game or a game from 2006, get real.

The outdoor locations have a more desaturated look than TOW did, indoors it's more similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom