Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Some extreme citation needed on that "my friend said" Reddit crap. QA testing is the last thing a game developer does before final polish by the way, they're not getting people in to QA test a barely playable alpha with no direction.
Disagree.

First of all, whatever the game will be, it'll need walking, shooting shit, mobs, dying mobs, quests, map, items, equippable items, looting, etc,... a bunch of generic RPG systems that can be implemented and can be tested even before they decide on what this game is going to be like.

And second, why do you assume it's someone from QA? He may be protecting his friend by saying "he's from QA", when in reality his friend is one of the programmers/animators/3d-artists/whatever who just thinks Obsidian's games absolutely suck ass.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My friend who was called for bug testing at Obsidian says that the development of Avowed is rocky, the devs at Obsidian still haven't figured what to do with this game
So this is a PoE sequel after all.

PoE games' development wasn't particularly rocky(?).
I was thinking more about the "devs still haven't figured what to do with this game" part.

To this day, the fact that Sawyer clearly said to his team that Deadfire wasn't supposed to be a "pirates" game still haunts me.

Sratopotator

Savant
Regarding the QA statement:
Some extreme citation needed on that "my friend said" Reddit crap. QA testing is the last thing a game developer does before final polish by the way, they're not getting people in to QA test a barely playable alpha with no direction.
This is not true at all. Internal QA, at least in some form, is present at almost all steps of game dev, especially near an important milestone, and those happen even in the Alpha stages of development - proof of concept builds, playtest builds for upper management, those kinds of Alpha milestones.
Only exception to the above would be if programmers or designers did their own QA, but considering that they usually have the biggest workload during most stages of dev't, I would be surprised if that would be the case here.

External QA - sure, who would give some unknown kids working offsite access to your semi-secret project, even while under NDA?
Internal QA is present in almost all bigger game dev companies tho.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reddit post has already been deleted, guy has a history of being a low-effort troll. :M

Tigranes

Arcane
Hello, I am a secret Obsidian insider person, very leaky all the time yes please. I can tell you secretly that GAMENAME is in development hell and it is rumoured that this Obsidian game lacks polish!!! Also Josh Sawyer wow

For more pls visit my onlyfans

Wunderbar

Arcane
Hello, I am a secret Obsidian insider person, very leaky all the time yes please. I can tell you secretly that GAMENAME is in development hell and it is rumoured that this Obsidian game lacks polish!!! Also Josh Sawyer wow

sounds plausible tbh.

Yosharian

Arcane

I mean all of this is far more likely than the alternative i.e. Obsidian actually being competent

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

sounds plausible tbh.
Yeah,tranny progressive devs having an only fans where something leaks out of them ,seems very logical and plausible .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guess who's back and letting everyone know he still has Sources

Chris Avellone said:
why not join Obsidian to work on Avowed
They keep losing leads on that project, not a good sign

Chris Avellone said:
Since you are here and you know stuff - let jesawyer enlighten us more about the current state of Avowed I'm sure he would love to indulge in our little chit chat
I think the fact he chose not to work on it probably says enough, but I hope I'm wrong

They lost lead story dev, lead level, lead designer, project director, and other folks, I think

The May of Rage will never end until the Clowns are gone. Maybe not even then. :)

Dycedarg

Learned
Interesting. While Avellone has an axe to grind with Obsidian, I was surprised Avowed didn't appear in E3 nor in Gamescom. If the game was somewhat close to being finished we would have heard something about it at this point.

And about Sawyer, there's no way he could be the project lead for Avowed, since he's currently responsible for another Obsidian project he refers to as "my game".

https://gamerant.com/obsidian-entertainment-avowed-outer-worlds-2-playable-fallout/

Orduss

Novice
But its sources are not simply RPGCodex? Because aside from Jorge Salgado, who is confirmed as working on Avowed, everything else is just rumor and most of it comes from here.

Tihskael

Learned
I don't think Todd and his team even know what rocky development means. They just spend a couple of months making their new game and have orgies for the rest of the development cycle; they know their games are going to sell like hotcakes. No wonder Bethesda has one of the highest retention rates in the industry. The Todd knows how to keep his folk happy- 16 times the fun.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Skyrim clone in PoE setting sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Clone of the worst disgrace in gaming in one of the worst settings of all time.

As a final touch just add Soyer as lead to make sure systems are crap.

Bara

Arcane
I guess the Microsoft money wasn't good enough to keep those avowed devs around.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But its sources are not simply RPGCodex? Because aside from Jorge Salgado, who is confirmed as working on Avowed, everything else is just rumor and most of it comes from here.
Jorge is gone as of May 2021, though this thread has mentioned that before https://www.linkedin.com/in/jorge-salgado-game-design

Chris Avellone said:
Lead designer got shoved over to Grounded, same with Art Lead, I think. Original Project Director got demoted and replaced, went on Sulk Leave for a long time, may still be on Sulk Leave, got replaced by someone else in studio. Rest quit, according to grapevine

Also to be clear, the loss of 3 leads wasn’t some natural “it happens” transition, Project Director, Lead Designer, and Art Lead were all moved off around same time frame. Not natural. Others (lead writer, others) quit after that, though, and that wasn’t immediate.

Yeah, but the leads leaving/getting moved off is different. It’s generally unusual for people to quit in the middle of a project, it’s generally not well regarded in the industry unless there’s mitigating factors (family sick).
You said insiders said it’s “on track,” but I don’t know what that means. I have heard the new Project Lead is much better, but I admittedly was curious what the Farcry writer would have done if he hadn’t quit. Also, Oscuro quitting was a huge loss for the studio, too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jorge is gone as of May 2021, though this thread has mentioned that before
Yes, this is why I said that his sources seems to be the codex. There is no more infos than what we already know.

I doubt Avellone would repeat something someone said on the Codex without verifying it with multiple people currently employed at Obsidian, i.e. those rumors were accurate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom