Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Background Music/Soundtrack/FX-What Do You Need?

Se7enth Sun

Novice
I would like to hear your approach to creating sounds/fx/scenes/background music as applied to RP/Games in general. I make mostly instrumental music

soundcloud.com/se7enthsun

and would like to hear what people have to say about making music for games/etc

-Attack
-Defend
-Trip on mushrooms

ideas? requests?

Arpeggiated fireball? Slow motion deathblow?

here is a link to something I made for this thread by altering midi composition inside Reason

https://soundcloud.com/se7enthsun/codex-no-slang-x-se7enthsfx/s-YqPW5

Let us discuss

Last edited:

Se7enth Sun

Novice
I didn't get to sequencing any sample FX today. Between between hungover as all hell in bed w/ the lady and producing two more instrumentals it never manifested. I did however comb thru my sound archive as well as compiled a ton of 8 bit FX that I can use as I please. Tomorrow I will try to make a short impact sound with a sword/slashing sound and some type of spell or blaster effect.

I am using Reason 10 and an Akai Mini MPK2 plus a bunch of software/presets/virtual instruments that I've collected and samples I've collected.

I did not see any conversation regarding a music/FX community here. I thought this convo would be somewhat fresh. After years of lurking I hoist myself upon the Codex

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Just two pointers, from an artist to another:
Absolutely no-one cares about your personal life. If someday you become a big star, idiotic fanboys might; until then, refrain from telling us how drunk or not you are when talking about work, it's unprofessional.
Rather than make promises and then come up with excuses when you can't deliver, just shut up until you have something to show.

Don't know if there are many sound designers in here for starters, but in any case I'd be interested to read about your workflow once you've got some samples, since from what I gather, you take a completely different approach to mine with regards to sound crafting.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a quick listen to some of the tracks on your artist page and although some of them were pretty good, I'm not sure they'd be a good fit for the type of RPG I'd usually play.

If you mostly create beats/hiphop/dub/dubstep/breakbeat as you say, you'd likely get a better response from somewhere like the GameDev.net Forums where they create games from all genres. Unless you're looking to create instrumentals in other styles and are looking for suggestions?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
edited OP because it was worthless. also added a sample fantasy-ish style loop
That was an... interesting listen. I'll refrain from commenting on the musical aspect since, given the other samples on your channel, our tastes probably differ a lot, but I've got some comments on the quality of the sound itself.

There's a reason —well, there are many, but the most important why— nobody ever pairs the piano with the harpsichord: they sound like shit together.
Phrasing on the flute is almost decent, which raises the question as to why is it so awful on the piano. You need to work on that if you're gonna use "realistic" sounding samples.
On that note: the bass appears and disappears constantly, the higher notes sticking out like a sore thumb. This is due to poor mixing technique, but also because there's no discernible dynamism on the interpretation, which is paramount to these type of instruments.

You're clearly out of your element when fronted with classical instrumentation. My advice would be to stick to what you know how to do well (the electronic-based tracks are much tighter in every sense) while working on getting better on that which is new to you on the side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom