Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldurs Gate 2: Capstone to the Golden Era of crpg's?

Monocause

Arcane
DreadMessiah said:
I love this. Also when I see "Mean people suck!" on stickers, shirts, etc. Picking on someone equates to being mean thus saying oneself is mean and sucks. Gotta love people who think they are smart. The meaning behind both the game sentence and 1eyedking's sentence is the same even if the wording is different. :smug: Look at me I iz smrt! :smug: Priceless!

I never said that I never resort to being mean or picking on someone. It may be that I'm mean and I suck, but I still have my fun. EDIT: :smug:

Why do you sound so butthurt? You don't approve of exchanging ideas about things? If you think that what I wrote was stupid, you could say it in the proper thread y'know.

I don't even know what exactly are you pointing at right now.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Monocause said:
DreadMessiah said:
I love this. Also when I see "Mean people suck!" on stickers, shirts, etc. Picking on someone equates to being mean thus saying oneself is mean and sucks. Gotta love people who think they are smart. The meaning behind both the game sentence and 1eyedking's sentence is the same even if the wording is different. :smug: Look at me I iz smrt! :smug: Priceless!

I never said that I never resort to being mean or picking on someone. It may be that I'm mean and I suck, but I still have my fun.

Why do you sound so butthurt? You don't approve of exchanging ideas about things? If you think that what I wrote was stupid, you could say it in the proper thread y'know.

I don't even know what exactly are you pointing at right now.
Not directed at you was directed at the quoted statement in my post from VD. Just found it funny that 1eyedking stated the same thing as the game character line that was being argued about. Something along the lines of thinking oneself is really smart yet failing at actually being so. Similiar in that it is humor as your own post was. Nothing to do with having at you.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Malakal said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
Aerya said:
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Is dragon age a natural evolution of BG2?
No more along the lines of a downgrade.
Dragon Age a downgrade?
I suppose that it is your opinion...
I started to play Dragon Age.... and the first impression I had that it is similar with The Witcher game...
I think it is an interesting game...

I want to give praise to IWD 2 and the infinity engine in general. DA is a downgrade from IWD 2 or even ToEE. We all know. Its the game mechanics. Day and night cycles, droping shit, 6 person parties, the ability to attack anyone, the ability to get in and out of battles, individual inventories, none of that auto regen BS, way more spells/skills/subraces and clerics had domains and it had a better stealth system.
I agree, infinity engine was awesome. 300 spells in BG2? Easily moddable? Good stuff.
For me BG2 is the finest rpg created up to date. Not because of the story or dungeon crawling or memorable characters. Because of great combination of all those things and many more. Some may say: jack of all trades, master of none, but for me that's enough.
Irenicus in spellhold: I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled.
Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools. More? Yes plz! Not to mention a lot of other lines that are sweet.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Malakal said:
I agree, infinity engine was awesome. 300 spells in BG2? Easily moddable? Good stuff.
For me BG2 is the finest rpg created up to date. Not because of the story or dungeon crawling or memorable characters. Because of great combination of all those things and many more. Some may say: jack of all trades, master of none, but for me that's enough.

:P the infinity engine games reminded me of the Gold Box games in the way that they stood up the RPGs that came afterwords. One of the reasons why I was never a big fan of JRPGs is that they were so simple compared to old Com 64 games. I would look at Final Fantasy and wonder how anyone could play an RPG that doesn't even allow you to move. I would look at how summoning spells delivered mass damage in the form of a cut scene instead of actually summoning something. To me its the same way with the Infinity Engine. Its as you said a very versatile, and thorough engine.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DreadMessiah said:
Malakal said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
Aerya said:
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Is dragon age a natural evolution of BG2?
No more along the lines of a downgrade.
Dragon Age a downgrade?
I suppose that it is your opinion...
I started to play Dragon Age.... and the first impression I had that it is similar with The Witcher game...
I think it is an interesting game...

I want to give praise to IWD 2 and the infinity engine in general. DA is a downgrade from IWD 2 or even ToEE. We all know. Its the game mechanics. Day and night cycles, droping shit, 6 person parties, the ability to attack anyone, the ability to get in and out of battles, individual inventories, none of that auto regen BS, way more spells/skills/subraces and clerics had domains and it had a better stealth system.
Irenicus in spellhold: I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled.
Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools. More? Yes plz! Not to mention a lot of other lines that are sweet.
YES YES YES THAT! That voice was really awesome, and he had great lines. OFC they were cheesy and eeeeevilll but I just loved them.
...we shall see my former love, we shall see...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kaanyrvhok said:
Malakal said:

:P the infinity engine games reminded me of the Gold Box games in the way that they stood up the RPGs that came afterwords. One of the reasons why I was never a big fan of JRPGs is that they were so simple compared to old Com 64 games. I would look at Final Fantasy and wonder how anyone could play an RPG that doesn't even allow you to move. I would look at how summoning spells delivered mass damage in the form of a cut scene instead of actually summoning something. To me its the same way with the Infinity Engine. Its as you said a very versatile, and thorough engine.
My sentiment exactly. You just could do so much with those spells. Warriors were so bland in comparison, true. But at least they didn't pretend that all classes were made equal.
How do I miss those possibilities. Summon elementals/undead/critters, buff them, debuff enemies, chain contigencies and sequencers. Rain death and destruction on enemies. Duel mages with mages, spells with counterspells, dispell, lower esistances, polymorph etc etc. Stop the fucking time! Wield void itself shaped as a blade. I am one badass mage and shape reality!
Heh, there are reasons why I replay BG2 every few years. And almost always as a spellcaster, 80% of the time sorcerer.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
I use to play JRPGs when I was in my early teens then I started falling unconcious while trying to play them. Boring does not begin to describe what they did to me. I tried playing FFXII and besides being "starwars" it made me zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Aerya

Novice
DreadMessiah said:
I use to play JRPGs when I was in my early teens then I started falling unconcious while trying to play them. Boring does not begin to describe what they did to me. I tried playing FFXII and besides being "starwars" it made me zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Heh... Tried FFVII... FFVIII... then I gave up the JRPGs... they are best for consoles...

ups... I have to go back to BG2... Viconia is getting annoyed...

And yea.. Infinity engine is great...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom