Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldurs Gate 2: Capstone to the Golden Era of crpg's?

Nedrah

Erudite
I'm currently playing through the whole BG2 trilogy for the first time. I finished SOA three times I think, but never finished TOB. I also never played BG1.

There's this Megamod "Big world project" over at spellhold studios which allows you to play through Bg1 using Bg2's engine (BGT) while also using pretty much every mod ever made for BG1&2, including the huge ones like Shadows over Soubar, the darkest day, tortured souls, check the bodies (and others) as well as the BG1 ones, all in one freakishly huge installation. My Bg2 folder takes up 15 GB now. The best part is that it's an automated installation, all you have to do is download the mods you want from their linklist, throw them into your game directory and execute a .bat file which will do all the work for you. I'd still highly recommend reading the manual that can be obtained from the same place as the installer.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38606

The BiG World Project aims to merge all games of the Baldur's Gate series and the additional contents created by its community in one massive adventure, including a modification of BG1 to run BG1 with the more modern engine of BG2, plus the added functionality of ToB expansion. Now all new functions which are introduced only with BG2 are also available for BG1. This signifies, BG1 uses just like BG2 the same graphic arts, the same character kits, the same magic and the same rules. Now even for those which know BG1 by heart this is a new play experience. Besides, it also includes an additional transition from BG1 to BG2. And all this can expanded with additional mods.

I thought I'd advertise this a bit since I'm having a great time going through the game(s) right now. Only downside: My inability to ever really decide which d&d class I want to play gets worse when I know that my char is possibly going to be with me for a few hundred hours of gameplay.

Andhaira

Arcane
Quick question: Does the tutu mod (high reso for BG 1) also allow you to use kits and new classes in BG1?

Luzur

Good Sir
Wasn't Zork a text adventure game that came out around 1980? Or am I confusing things?

yes, but it was first released in 1979. i began my computer gaming life with text adventure games such as Zork and Pyramid of Doom.

my opinion? Ultima 7 and Might and Magic III.

Andhaira

Arcane
U7 was indeed the 'gold standard' in many ways, but see like many ultima's U7 was out way, way, way ahead of its time. It was an oddity in its incradibility.

Nedrah

Erudite
AndhairaX said:
Quick question: Does the tutu mod (high reso for BG 1) also allow you to use kits and new classes in BG1?

It does, think of it as a bg2 mod that happens to include all of BG1s content, I guess.
However, BGT (along with BP) includes a lot of components that will actually balance out and enhance the trilogy package, so I'd go with that if you plan on going throug the whole trilogy or if you're thinking about throwing in some big mods.

Aerya

Novice
zerotol said:
BG2 is an awesome game, second only to PS:T

I second to that... PS:T is still the nr. 1 on my list of played RPGs... and I played many...
2nd is BG2... 3rd is Fallout 2... too lazy to continue the list :P

relootz said:
Witnessed on the first page : Skyway calling a game great.

39469573407493042434.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Aerya said:
well... you have to kill some baddies there... but most XP you get from dialogue...

That's because it sticks to AD&D rules, when it comes to amount of XP gained from killing monsters and how much XP is needed to level. The amount of XP gained from quests is a way for the designers (or GM in live role playing) to "pace" the game.

Andhaira

Arcane
Check out how cool my posts used to be when I hung out on rpg discussion.

relootz

Scholar
Yes it appears adding the X to your name means Xtremely Boring Posting.

Aerya

Novice
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Is dragon age a natural evolution of BG2?
No more along the lines of a downgrade.
Dragon Age a downgrade?
I suppose that it is your opinion...
I started to play Dragon Age.... and the first impression I had that it is similar with The Witcher game...
I think it is an interesting game...

Monocause

Arcane
Aerya said:
Dragon Age a downgrade?
I started to play Dragon Age.... and the first impression I had that it is similar with The Witcher game...

Oh...
That is an interesting opinion...
I suppose that is your opinion... because it was you who posted it...

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Aerya said:
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Dragon Age a downgrade?

I want to give praise to IWD 2 and the infinity engine in general. DA is a downgrade from IWD 2 or even ToEE. We all know. Its the game mechanics. Day and night cycles, droping shit, 6 person parties, the ability to attack anyone, the ability to get in and out of battles, individual inventories, none of that auto regen BS, way more spells/skills/subraces and clerics had domains and it had a better stealth system.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Monocause said:
Aerya said:
Dragon Age a downgrade?

Oh...
That is an interesting opinion...
I suppose that is your opinion... because it was you who posted it...
I have another one!
Vault Dweller said:
Fourth, the mage doesn't say it sucks and people are sheep. He doesn't say "Chantry? Shit! Banal! Boring!" His comment is "swallow a great deal for small comfort", which is very close to what you've just said: "some people don't swallow all of it, and some that do actually find immense comfort in believing".
I love this. Also when I see "Mean people suck!" on stickers, shirts, etc. Picking on someone equates to being mean thus saying oneself is mean and sucks. Gotta love people who think they are smart. The meaning behind both the game sentence and 1eyedking's sentence is the same even if the wording is different. :smug: Look at me I iz smrt! :smug: Priceless!

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Kaanyrvhok said:
Aerya said:
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Dragon Age a downgrade?

I want to give praise to IWD 2 and the infinity engine in general. DA is a downgrade from IWD 2 or even ToEE. We all know. Its the game mechanics. Day and night cycles, droping shit, 6 person parties, the ability to attack anyone, the ability to get in and out of battles, individual inventories, none of that auto regen BS, way more spells/skills/subraces and clerics had domains and it had a better stealth system.
+ infinity :smug:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kaanyrvhok said:
Aerya said:
DreadMessiah said:
AndhairaX said:
Dragon Age a downgrade?

I agree, infinity engine was awesome. 300 spells in BG2? Easily moddable? Good stuff.
For me BG2 is the finest rpg created up to date. Not because of the story or dungeon crawling or memorable characters. Because of great combination of all those things and many more. Some may say: jack of all trades, master of none, but for me that's enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom