Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access - next Panel From Hell on July 7th

0sacred

Learned
Patron
so your point is Arcanum level dialogue would be done today if it wasn't for voice acting. Which is probably not true. That was my point

A indie company could do it. Now, a game like Arcanum would cause massive butthurt and be considered antisemitic, racist, fascist, nazist(....)Just like Morrowind, we will never get to see a Morrowind faithful remake cuz just imagine SJW's that complain about orcs in D&D seeing Breton with 50 INT(About IQ = 100 IRL) and Redguards with 30 INT(about IQ = 60 IRL).

But we don't need to talk about Arcanum level of goodness. Imagine a small Serb team wanting to make a game like UnderRail. Now imagine that they are expected to have fully voice acting...

except no one expects full VO in an indie game

vibehunter

Learned
Voiced protag needs to go.

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

The exception is for dungeon crawlers with little to no player agency.

you honestly think writing nowadays would be better if it wasn't voiced? lol

Not necessarily, but opting out of voice acting helps create the opportunity for richer and more expansive dialogue. Of course, whether this opportunity is properly taken advantage of and well-executed still depends on the skill of the writing team.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
this will revoultioinize videog ames. this and starfield. F A C T !!!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Voiced protag needs to go.

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

The exception is for dungeon crawlers with little to no player agency.

you honestly think writing nowadays would be better if it wasn't voiced? lol

Not necessarily, but opting out of voice acting helps create the opportunity for richer and more expansive dialogue. Of course, whether this opportunity is properly taken advantage of and well-executed still depends on the skill of the writing team.
You want less Larian dialogue, not more.

BruceVC

Magister
who cares about dialogues
Dialogue is critical to party interaction and participating in companion side quests. Its also intrinsically part of all Romance arcs

But I dont mind or care about full voice, thats cosmetic to me. Just some voice is nice like in BG2 but what is much more important are the dialogue options and outcomes and how they influence the game

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It is a Larian game. The dialog uis meaningless. FFS, BG1 which has basic straight to the point writing and doesn't really have dialogue checks had more depth and ud more iterating than Larian or most video game writing. Even with retartet Minsc.

BruceVC

Magister
It is a Larian game. The dialog uis meaningless. FFS, BG1 which has basic straight to the point writing and doesn't really have dialogue checks had more depth and ud more iterating than Larian or most video game writing. Even with retartet Minsc.
Volo do you have any links to confirm the veracity of your views

I dont remember anything terrible about the dialogue in D:OS2, it was fine?

BruceVC

Magister
Dialogue is critical to party interaction and participating in companion side quests. Its also intrinsically part of all Romance arcs
Who cares about companion side quests and romance arcs. I ain't reading this shit.

So forget Romance arcs, are you telling me that you dont interact with your party members or have any interest in their stories and who they are?

Sunri

Liturgist
Who cares about companion side quests and romance arcs. I ain't reading this shit.

So forget Romance arcs, are you telling me that you dont interact with your party members or have any interest in their stories and who they are?

He only plays with himself.

BruceVC

Magister
any interest in their stories and who they are?
no. why should i care? "let's go kill some fags" "sure" - that's enough for me.
Great question, " why should I care " ?

Its because party interaction is part of the overall RP aspect of the game and the journey. This doesnt apply to action RPG but it does apply to RPG where the design and mechanics incorporate this

So interaction with your party is important because its part of RP. The dialogue options adds more depth and substance to the game

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That's just a tactical RPG then (which is fine as a genre too). But the CRPG proper became a thing because it blends tactical gameplay with a story (with some kind of at least semi-interesting writing) and character interaction/development.

I maintain that the proper definition of a CRPG (inasmuch as a definition can be given or is at all useful) is an adventure simulator. It's an ideal that works on both an intellectual and emotional level, so that you have not only intellectual engagement in the gameplay, but also some degree of emotional immersion in the virtual world, story and characters, with the result that the game is more engrossing and addictive than either alone would be.

BruceVC

Magister

That's just a tactical RPG then (which is fine as a genre too). But the CRPG proper became a thing because it blends tactical gameplay with a story (with some kind of at least semi-interesting writing) and character interaction/development.

I maintain that the proper definition of a CRPG (inasmuch as a definition can be given or is at all useful) is an adventure simulator. It's an ideal that works on both an intellectual and emotional level, so that you have not only intellectual engagement in the gameplay, but also some degree of emotional immersion in the virtual world, story and characters, with the result that the game is more engrossing and addictive than either alone would be.
This is a complex definition but I agree, do you include Romance in that definition because I consider it emotionally immersive and realistic as part of any party based RPG

If you were on quest to save the world from eternal darkness and you spent many nights around a campfire with the likes of the beautiful and seductive Isabella or Viconia why would you not have a romantic relationship with them? Especially knowing tomorrow could be your last day?

I have always maintained that optional Romance should be included where reasonable in every RPG that has an objective of realism and immersive design

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

This is a complex definition but I agree, do you include Romance in that definition because I consider it emotionally immersive and realistic as part of any party based RPG

If you were on quest to save the world from eternal darkness and you spent many nights around a campfire with the likes of the beautiful and seductive Isabella or Viconia why would you not have a romantic relationship with them? Especially knowing tomorrow could be your last day?

I have always maintained that optional Romance should be included where reasonable in every RPG that has an objective of realism and immersive design

It all depends on how well it's done. If it's not done well, or it's an opportunity for a Teaching Moment or whatever, then it's a waste of time. The romances in BG2 were mostly ok, and the concept of romance did add some depth, but it's been badly handled ever since (maybe some of the romances in DAO were ok too, thinking of the campfire thing, with that lovely music).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much. It is completely dissociated from the gameplay almost every single case. There are few exceptions like Mount & Blade, where marrying gives right to rule, affects the relationship with your wive's family and her kingdom/town among other things. Other example is Heather Poe which affects a bit the late parts of the game, but she is more like a blood doll/slave/ghoul than a proper romance option.

Would be interesting if for example in a Ravenloft : Strahd possession, romancing the obcession of Stahd, Tatyana had terrible consequences in the game, with Strahd becoming completely furious, or if sleeping with a succubus could gradually make you enslaved by her and she will demand something atrocious and more sex you had with her makes more difficulty to break her domination spell.

Sunri

Liturgist
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much. It is completely dissociated from the gameplay almost every single case. There are few exceptions like Mount & Blade, where marrying gives right to rule, affects the relationship with your wive's family and her kingdom/town among other things. Other example is Heather Poe which affects a bit the late parts of the game, but she is more like a blood doll/slave/ghoul than a proper romance option.

Would be interesting if for example in a Ravenloft : Strahd possession, romancing the obcession of Stahd, Tatyana had terrible consequences in the game, with Strahd becoming completely furious, or if sleeping with a succubus could gradually make you enslaved by her and she will demand something atrocious and more sex you had with her makes more difficulty to break her domination spell.
That would be cool, but I'm happy with sex scenes anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom