Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
It's very sad that even after two decades, a small, buggy game remains the undisputed champion when it comes to combat/rolls log, combined with its encylopedia-like feature.
toee+skill+check+bonus+breakdown.jpg

What game is that?
Temple of Elemental Evil
It even has what is essentially the entire PHB in the form of an ingame wiki-like format
Anything that's blue in the window is a link to another part of the ingame manual

I remember being completely blown away by it and no big budget RPGs even come close to having such a useful feature.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Personally I didn't bother too much with character customisation since I figured it'd just be a temporary character for the first EA playthrough.
I think I picked one of the default options and maybe changed like 2 or 3 options just to try them out

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You're never getting a real RPG from Bioware or Obsidian or any of those huge companies anymore. Face it. RPGs like that are dead, if you want that you have to settle for stuff like KOTC made by one guy on a calculator

hey defeatist soy boy that likes to gobble up shit while laying down, waiting to die.

Underrail.

fuck huge companies and their lukewarm excretions.

the quality of a game and the tight experience that is conveyed to the player is not directly proportional with the number of people that works on it.

If I had it my way, I would impose a limit of 40 people to work on a game.
Huge companies are what made the RPGs everyone on this site is obsessed with. Those 90s classic RPGs might look quaint now but they were the mainstream games of the time. That could come back if someone does a good enough job of it. Also Underrail is tedious as fuck.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Went on reddit because I'm either a masochist or retarded and decided to see what the larian cultists were up to in their home turf: the divinity original sin subreddit. There's a banner of Baldurs Gate 3 on the divinity original sin subreddit. Everybody knows this game is DOS:3 and not BG3 but you still get hate for saying it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Went on reddit because I'm either a masochist or retarded and decided to see what the larian cultists were up to in their home turf: the divinity original sin subreddit. There's a banner of Baldurs Gate 3 on the divinity original sin subreddit. Everybody knows this game is DOS:3 and not BG3 but you still get hate for saying it.
Except it's clearly more faithful to the chosen ruleset than BG1 or BG2 were?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

> admits plebbbit is full of clueless normies
> cites their actions as fact or meaningful in any way

there's a handful of gimmick environmental effects like traps that are similar to D:OS. that's about it.

there are far better reasons to criticize the game than your constant autism, which again, is off topic and belongs in the thread specifically created for your bitching. this thread is about EARLY ACCESS and the FEATURES of the game, not REDDIT.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Except it's clearly more faithful to the chosen ruleset than BG1 or BG2 were?
If that's such a concern to them they would have called it dnd adventures or something instead of baldurs gate 3. I don't care about how faithful one or the other is to dnd. It's about names and hypocrisy. Being faithful to dnd is only important when it's rtwp but not when cantrips have additional effects. When larian is unfaithful, it's suddenly not as important as it was before.
there are far better reasons to criticize the game than your constant autism, which again, is off-topic and belongs in the thread specifically created for your bitching. this thread is about EARLY ACCESS and the FEATURES of the game, not REDDIT.
This thread is about bread.

Codex Year of the Donut
If that's such a concern to them they would have called it dnd adventures or something instead of baldurs gate 3. I don't care about how faithful one or the other is to dnd. It's about names and hypocrisy. Being faithful to dnd is only important when it's rtwp but not when cantrips have additional effects. When larian is unfaithful, it's suddenly not as important as it was before.
Yes, because cantrips not being identical is exactly the same as turning D&D into a RTS.

How many of these people actually played and finished the originals?

Anyway, as I said before, Larian should have spent more time and effort on pleasing their core fanbase (straight, white males) than adding woke shit to the game when the clueless media are just going to shrug and pan it anyway for dumb reasons.

To be clear: "Baldur´s Gate III" is fun. It is already a tight game that starts with a lot of speed and throws players right into adventure, exploring and trying things out.

Ok...

Can the sequel pick up on this feeling from back then? Does it have that certain something, whatever that was that made the old games so unique?
The magic of the old days, this feeling of discovering unknown horizons and strange worlds on the few inches of the flickering screen in front of you, is still a long time coming.

You can also find this peculiar feeling elsewhere. In the past few years a number of outstanding games have appeared that are reminiscent of "Baldur's Gate" in one way or another:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Oh, I see. It's missing a FEELING. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. :roll:

Pretty clear the author had either never played the original and is just talking out of her ass, or else had no idea what it was she was criticizing about the game or why and just wasted everyone's time.
So the question is: is "Baldur's Gate III" more "Baldur's Gate" than any of these other good examples? Sure, it takes place in Faerûn and ties in with the story of "Baldur's Gate". But in the end it was and is about the feeling of limitless adventure within the confines of a screen.
:deathclaw:

Have any of you done the underdark yet? Feels way too difficult for level 4s.
Where is it? The goblin settlement? I haven't been there yet.

I'm still level 3 and, frankly, I feel too strong for most fights.

At first I thought the wizard companion was extremely pompous for a level 2 weak little bitch, but now I see that 5e level 2 mages are more like level 5 mages in 2e.

Level 4 adventurers going into the Underdark.

Also, I know everyone is singing the praises of DX11 as the renderer and sometimes it seems to give me better performance as well, but it’s also inconsistent. I think it has a memory leak or something, since performance will occasionally slow to a crawl.

Vulcan(?) seems to be a lot more stable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's a few NPCs you encounter that seem to heavily suggest they'll be companions in the full game.
I assume the bard I missed is one of those.
I doubt that there will be more than the starting retards.
The wounded blm tiefling will certainly be one, later when the party reaches Baldur's Gate.
I think she might be the ranger
I murdered her and cut her head off, so it’s unlikely she’ll be joining my party. :M
Those weren't paladins you know, they were lying.
So? He did a good dead. Also why are thiefling represented like normal and decent people in this sjw game? They should be like disgusting gispsos,not some downtrodden scum.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Have any of you done the underdark yet? Feels way too difficult for level 4s.
My bet is that it's not for the first chapter(aka lv 1 to 4), but it's on the same map so larian just release it anyway.

Otherwise you can get to level 6 just during "chapter 1" alone, and the maximum 10 level will become a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom