Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Translation. Wizards in 5E are like 4E controllers, only enchantment is viable. Why even have evocation, necromancy, transmutation, conjuration and other schools? Why anyone would ever use cone of cold or cloudkill over hold monster? Those spells where amazing in previous editions.
To be fair, enchantment has always been the best school in D&D.
define:"best"
Divination always tended to have the most interesting spells, however they typically aren't implemented in cRPGs.

Delterius

Arcane
Translation. Wizards in 5E are like 4E controllers, only enchantment is viable. Why even have evocation, necromancy, transmutation, conjuration and other schools? Why anyone would ever use cone of cold or cloudkill over hold monster? Those spells where amazing in previous editions.
Divination always tended to have the most interesting spells, however they typically aren't implemented in cRPGs.
if it isn't implemented in cRPGs then it isn't real

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
As in mechanically the best. Moderately damaging incoming fighters with a fireball isn't as good as getting them to kill eachother. By dominating a spellcaster with just one cast of Dominate Person you can double your spell slots.

Codex Year of the Donut
if it isn't implemented in cRPGs then it isn't real
crpg devs are lazy as shit, they only implement the spells that take the least amount of effort

Delterius

Arcane
devs are bad
irrelevant. this isn't larp your campaign codex.
As in mechanically the best. Moderately damaging incoming fighters with a fireball isn't as good as getting them to kill eachother. By dominating a spellcaster with just one cast of Dominate Person you can double your spell slots.
now you have to correct your assessment for 'when the game fails to implement enchantment spells past level 4' or 'when every monster you fight for 50 hours is somehow enchantment immune' or 'when every monster you fight for 50 hours has will as its best saves'

what kills enchantment ever so often seems to be encounter design imo

Codex Year of the Donut
enchantment/illusion AKA "those few enchantment/illusion spells that act like evocation spells and are easily able to be implemented by copy-paste"

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
now you have to correct your assessment for 'when the game fails to implement enchantment spells past level 4' or 'when every monster you fight for 50 hours is somehow enchantment immune' or 'when every monster you fight for 50 hours has will as its best saves'

A lot of CRPG designers hate enchantment specifically because it's the most powerful school, that's why they go out of their way to screw it over.

Delterius

Arcane

A lot of CRPG designers hate enchantment specifically because it's the most powerful school, that's why they go out of their way to screw it over.
i don't think there's an anti enchantment conspiracy. devs just love their undead filled third acts.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
however they typically aren't implemented in cRPGs.

Because they are very DM dependent.

Depends for what and against which enemy. Immunity vs mind affecting effects like feeblemind is not a uncommon trait among high level monsters. Other schools are extremely useful in previous D&D editions. Illusion is the most iconic example. Had a lot of versatility, amazing defensive options and amazing offensive options, abjuration is the best anti caster school in defensive and anti spell defense spells. Transmutation has good offensive spells like disintegrate, great defensive spells and great shapeshift spells, In KoTC1 I've made my main char(wizard) to be a transmuter focused character and he could easily become deadly at CQB with Tenser's Transformation + other buffs. Conjuration, can make you a powerful minionmancer and can allow you to cast really deadly persistent spells like acid fog(which ignores SR) and powerful controlling spells like black tentacles. And necromancy, the best magic school ever. OHK spells, lasting undead servants, really nasty debuffs, ability to take control over enemy undead and etc.

If VtM was made by WoTC instead of White Wolf, I'm pretty sure that domination would be the unique viable discipline for Tremere.

minate lasts days or weeks in PnP (at least in 2E and 3E), how many CRPGs are there that don't nerf its duration to shit?

How even have multiple weeks duration enchantment?

BTW, you will probably gonna like KoTC2 specialized enchanter wizard. https://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Wizard.htm

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Enchanter Wizard is extremely strong in Augury of Chaos due to all the lethal enemies that you could render harmless with a single feeblemind/baleful polymorph.

I tough that you would prefer illusion. Isn't the chosen school of the gnome merchant guild? Ohhh wait, typical illusion spells are enchantment in KoTC2. That explains why the merchant guild likes enchantment.

FriendlyMerchant

Enchanter Wizard is extremely strong in Augury of Chaos due to all the lethal enemies that you could render harmless with a single feeblemind/baleful polymorph.

I tough that you would prefer illusion. Isn't the chosen school of the gnome merchant guild? Ohhh wait, typical illusion spells are enchantment in KoTC2. That explains why the merchant guild likes enchantment.

Enchanting is also a staple of the banker's guild.

FriendlyMerchant

Let's be honest here...

My beautiful game

Shouldn't you be working on "your game" right now? It's been at least three years since work started and its still not done. You Belgians are incredibly lazy. German goyim would've finished the game by now.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's be honest here...

My beautiful game

Shouldn't you be working on "your game" right now? It's been at least three years since work started and its still not done. You Belgians are incredibly lazy. German goyim would've finished the game by now.
Technically they've been working for like 4 years now. Not complaining. Just a fact.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Let's be honest here...

My beautiful game

Oy vey Moshe, give me shekels and I'll open up a studio in Tel Aviv, I heard jews were famous for their work ethic.

FriendlyMerchant

Let's be honest here...

My beautiful game

Oy vey Moshe, give me shekels and I'll open up a studio in Tel Aviv, I heard jews were famous for their work ethic.

No. Subversives are not allowed in Israel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom