Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
To everybody who is butthurt that I called BG2 literally retarded, I meant that if MRY's opinion of it is that he can say Minsc "exemplifies" what BG2 is about, not that I think it's retarded.
I agree with MRY that Minsc's silliness "exemplifies" what BG2 is about, and that BG2 is retarded because of it. Yay for coherence!

:thumbsup:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Once you put Morte into game, game is Morte. Hitting on the undead chicks and red haired tiefling babes with scottish accents.

Funny enough it reminds me of actual quotes from BG2.
In that Jaheira quest where harper asks you your favorite color, and whatever you choose green: envy red: blood yellow: sickness while Jaha says that green is also trees and blue is sky.

Minsc ofc is a retard. and his quote is memorable but mostly because you get him as your first fighter. but he also is a retard because he suffered a wound while traveling with Dyna, loses Dyna, and then swears Aerie he will protect her, and people treat him like a child, he has some serious anger issues where other calm, noble warriors like Keldorn help him to overcome it. is he lulzy? yeah. but does that make him a joke game is about? not really, and he has human element in him as well. if he was only a joke, players wouldn't remember him as much. What truly sold BG2 characters to crowd was interparty interactions, which made players feel like they travel with friends.

Last edited:
Also remember the dialogue where one of the party members (Jaheira, I think) acts as a stand-in for some of the playerbase, and wanders aloud how can he be considered a ranger and a servant to Nature, rather than a brute fighter? To which a short scene is depicted where he treats squirrels in a very kind manner (I think he helps them collect nuts, or something along those lines)?

I think that Minsc is supposed to represent the idea that true goodness is simple and uncomplicated: a good-hearted retard is more of a hero than a thoughful, brooding anti-hero which were so popular at the time.

That and because they didn't have time to implement the barbarian class in BG1, so they made him a ranger. By the time they had the class in BG2, the precedent was established.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked Minsc and Boo. Too bad he never transformed into giant mouse... BTW I hated the interaction between Xar and J. in BG2 It fell stupid. Both of them were party members. Even if harpers wanted them dead, J. should double cross harpers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If that's a (not so subtle) nod to remind them of what the important part to take into consideration is, then I applaud the effort.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
To everybody who is butthurt that I called BG2 literally retarded, I meant that if MRY's opinion of it is that he can say Minsc "exemplifies" what BG2 is about, not that I think it's retarded.

Dont be chicken, face the consequences traitor!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm rather curious about that their cinematic department now has over 10 people according to Linkedin. 1 director, 7 cinematic artists, 1 vfx artist, 1 animator, and is looking for a lighting artist dedicated to cinematics. This is smaller than Witcher 3's (which was more than 20), but it seems obvious they're going for a lot of real-time cutscenes that are out of player's control.

More, more! Approaching the scale of Witcher 3's: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cjri...ian-studios-activity-6591235677021630464-9riE

Larian Studios, Dublin is hiring additional Cinematic Artists!

Our Cinematics team has grown considerably over the last few months and have a team of 11 Artists working from our Dublin Studio!

We would love to hear from Cinematic Artists, ideally from games, but are also happy to speak to artists from animation and film.

We are open to hearing from graduates/Juniors as well as those more experienced.

Now their cinematic team has at least 15 people according to Linkedin listings.

I'm pretty sure they're not working on BG3, but making a feature film about Swen the Shining Knight's grand adventures!

Merry Christmas!

Now their cinematic team has at least 15 people according to Linkedin listings.

I'm pretty sure they're not working on BG3, but making a feature film about Swen the Shining Knight's grand adventures!

Interesting. I hope they are in-engine cinematics that don't remove u from the game world. like Skyrim or the original BGs. not that "now let's watch a movie" crap. i loved final fantasy 15 but i don't want every RPG to utilize that type of cutscene system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm beginning to be a bit concerned for Larian. What are they even doing? It seems they are throwing too many eggs in the same basket and with a catapult no less. Especially since they cancelled Fallen Heroes to divert all resources ot BG3. I think they are overestimating the popularity of the BG saga and its sales potential.

Xeon

Augur
I thought they cancelled because both parties were kinda busy or something, since Logic Artists were bought I think and maybe needed to concentrate on their own game or something and Larian was busy with BG3.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Logic Artists had a contractual obligation to work on another game, but Larian also has no resources to spare to actually finish it either despite their hundreds of employees. It's "on hold."

Elex

Arbiter
i feel like that have to suddenly redo a part of the game, they started with a certain “news release pace” in mind, but then they discovered something not working at all, the need more people now and they need it to work fast for recover the lost time.

Atchodas

Augur
Please give some arguments why would they divert from their recipe of success that was D:OS series ?

You being butthurt and wishing BG3 to fail is not an argument btw

Lacrymas

Arcane
Please give some arguments why would they divert from their recipe of success that was D:OS series ?
Because they think a Twitcher-style game would be even more successful. Why? Because Twitcher is successful. It's not the best or most logical conclusion you can infer from that, but there you go.

Xeon

Augur
Not sure if Divinity 2 considered a AAA or AA kind of game but they already made a Witcher style game so I don't think its too foreign to them to go that route again if they think its where the mass appeal is.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
BG3 won't be like Witcher. They can't change genre defining game to become unrecognizable. In fact, how would you play with party in Witcha game? They won't do that. They can't do that. I'll be their doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom