Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

No, Viekang did not explode while teleporting. He survived, as confirmed by the "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" adventure module, which takes place 123 years later.

I am pretty sure that after teleportation the game shows the body explosion animation and log says that he died.....

Theldaran

Liturgist
No, Viekang did not explode while teleporting. He survived, as confirmed by the "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" adventure module, which takes place 123 years later.

I am pretty sure that after teleportation the game shows the body explosion animation and log says that he died.....

That's the way the game has of removing the character from play. Doesn't actually mean he died as in pass away, he actually teleported elsewhere. Do note that this is 2000 tech.

I think that Viekang is more like some easter egg/joke, because in all my years of play I haven't gotten any meaningful interaction with him. Maybe he had an actual story prepared for him, but I never saw that in the game.

Throne of Bhaal consists of pitting you against different Bhaalspawn, following that Alaundo prophecy. If you complete the game, you're like the last one standing so to speak (you can choose to assume a god's portfolio or continue to be a special mortal). I'm assuming -but could be wrong- that if you choose to ascend -which is the Evil option, I think, because you assume Bhaal's portfolio- all the Bhaalspawn essences would return to you, but the ending sequence is meh. Likewise, it stands to reason that if you continue your adventuring life, the surviving Bhaalspawn would go about their lives normally, since you wouldn't have a reason to hunt them down -especially if you're Good-aligned.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Do all Bhaalspawns beside the PC die in ToB? I think there was teleporting dude you help him by scaring him or something and he end up teleporting, maybe there are others as well in other places, so can't they just say your parent was one of the bhaalspawn instead of Charname specifically if others survived?

He explodes while teleporting, because he hits a magic barrier.

What about the chihuahua Bhaalspawn?
all bhaalspawn are dead and bhaal is back as a god

No.

You are right. Used an old save. It says Damage taken (78) and Unconscious. The animation is the lighting animation, not explosion.

My memory lied:argh:

To answer your questions:
- All Bhaalspawn have unnaturaly long lives, even human ones.
- Other than CHARNAME/Abdel Adrian, other surviving Bhaalspawn include Viekang, Imoen, Balthasar (if you consider the Ascension mod canon, since David Gaider wrote it), as well as an unknown number of Saradush survivors. Plus any and all Bhaalspawn that simply were "somewhere out there".
- No, Viekang did not explode while teleporting. He survived, as confirmed by the "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" adventure module, which takes place 123 years later.

No matter if you're playing vanilla or ascension, Balthazar is either killed by the PC or willingly surrenders his Bhaal's essence to Solar. He shouldn't count. Am I remembering that correctly?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
On the other hand, I love his attempt at a manifest destiny religion for real Americans.

Cael

Arcane
The Quran did cause quite a lot of butthurt as far as I can gather, so 250 pages is still not terrible. And the Quran is more of a spinoff or reimagining than a sequel :p
It is an attempt at a reboot. And like most reboots, it sucked donkey dicks.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The Quran did cause quite a lot of butthurt as far as I can gather, so 250 pages is still not terrible. And the Quran is more of a spinoff or reimagining than a sequel :p

Yeah, but very loyal followers, those people are true troll fanboys, with wagon and all.

Imagine if Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had actual fans, those people would certainly be special snowflakes.

Cael

Arcane

Yeah, but very loyal followers, those people are true troll fanboys, with wagon and all.

Imagine if Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had actual fans, those people would certainly be special snowflakes.
Some might say "suicidally loyal"... *rimshot*

Sykar

Arcane
I'm more worried that they haven't released any story details whatsoever. Not the premise, not a handful of screenshot to illustrate the beautiful and exotic locations we will be visiting, not a sneak peak of a companion or two... nothing. This leads me to two theories:

1. The game is going through development hell.
2. The very premise of the game, its foundation, will involve some huge spoiler that Larian doesn't want to reveal too soon (for example, that we are playing as CHARNAME'S kid, or as another Bhaalspawn, or something completely different).
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man of the tall races who romanced Viconia or Aerie, and worse than that the protagonist of this game is going to necessarily be an elf or half-elf. I really have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark about everything concerning this game.

As for it being in development hell, how can that really be? Unless they can't reach an agreement with WotC and everything is being tortuously prolonged.

Aerie could be romanced by gnomes so.... :troll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just read the first line and i knew that it is written by a retard.

We should probably start by acknowledging that Baldur's Gate isn't actually a grim-and-serious RPG at all.[]

And then he went on and told me how it is actually a comedy game....

Now i am not arguing that the game is all grim dark and shit,both games were pretty serious in generally with some jokes in between. Tho the second game was a lot more grim dark. In the games it was the art and the camera that kind of separated the player from the darker parts of the story. The story itself is pretty grim tho,you play as the rape child of slaughter god,that goes on a revenge quest against his brother,which is a sociopathic corporate iron magnat that wants more money,and ended up killing the only father figure that the player had. Now if that is a comedy story......then you are mentally unfit and a danger to society.

Theldaran

Liturgist
We have to separate between the main quest and side missions.

The first game was fairly serious on its main. Then they had to fill lots of areas, with easter eggs and wild things, like that Larry, Laryl and Darryl or whatever they're called. Or the whole Melicamp affair.

The second is more of the same. Main story is revenge story, 17 years prior to Tales of Berseria. But there's room for some buffoonery.

It's not hard to imagine that there aren't a lot of differences between Bioware/Black Isle at the turn of the millennium and Larian now. It's pretty normal to have some comic relief, 100% dark-and-gritty stories are more of a postmodern thing (right Obsidian?).

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm more worried that they haven't released any story details whatsoever. Not the premise, not a handful of screenshot to illustrate the beautiful and exotic locations we will be visiting, not a sneak peak of a companion or two... nothing. This leads me to two theories:

2. The very premise of the game, its foundation, will involve some huge spoiler that Larian doesn't want to reveal too soon (for example, that we are playing as CHARNAME'S kid, or as another Bhaalspawn, or something completely different).
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man of the tall races who romanced Viconia or Aerie, and worse than that the protagonist of this game is going to necessarily be an elf or half-elf. I really have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark about everything concerning this game.

As for it being in development hell, how can that really be? Unless they can't reach an agreement with WotC and everything is being tortuously prolonged.

Can gnomes interbreed with other races and if so what is the result?

Cael

Arcane

Can gnomes interbreed with other races and if so what is the result?
With elves, it would be kenders... In Aerie's case, FLYING kenders...

Theldaran

Liturgist
Nope, kenders were created from Gargath's Gray Gem.

That's in Dragonlance, but kenders only appear there, so.

Later in D&D3 halflings shifted from hobbits (in AD&D) to something like kenders, but that was just lazy. Besides, kenders have a specific identity.

"Kender" the term itself is vaguely Germanic-inspired (it seems) to mean something like "children" or something; "child" in German is "Kind". Kenders do indeed behave like children most of the time.

Cael

Arcane
Nope, kenders were created from Gargath's Gray Gem.

That's in Dragonlance, but kenders only appear there, so.

Later in D&D3 halflings shifted from hobbits (in AD&D) to something like kenders, but that was just lazy. Besides, kenders have a specific identity.

"Kender" the term itself is vaguely Germanic-inspired (it seems) to mean something like "children" or something; "child" in German is "Kind". Kenders do indeed behave like children most of the time.
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom