Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not good PR if every time you google Baldur's Gate 3, there are a bunch of videos and articles complaining about the combat system, though. Yeah, most people won't care, but it's still not a good idea to have bad PR.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Probably only a small percentage of people will get upset for for the reveal of BG3's gameplay. either way pretty sure the majority of the people will be looking forward to it if it looks good.

Since I'm a heretic not sold off on both Divinity: Original Sin games, I'm not expecting shit about BG3. So many ways to screw up. So little chances of it being the game we deserve.

So, I'm really expecting some popamole play, heck, I loved BGs back in their day but even then there were already people calling them popamole, can we seriously expect something great *now*?

Theldaran

Liturgist
With a budget like BG3's, no.

What kind of a budget, then?

I think I might get some hate, but here it is: DOS2's graphics were certainly better than that Neverwinter Nights EE abomination, but they weren't masterful either.

I played like an hour or something of DOS2, but couldn't really see the masterpiece.

With DOS1 it's even worse since I own it and I didn't even start playing seriously. Somehow I'm just discouraged about it.

In their time, BGs both nailed the graphics AND the gameplay. The plot, dialogue and missions were serviceable (not great).

Lacrymas

Arcane
For games to actually be somewhat interesting, they need to have a lower budget to not require a huge slice of the market to justify its existence. Huge budgets necessitate broad appeal and the Codex isn't known for its love of games with broad appeal.

Theldaran

Liturgist
That may be a limitation, but not an advantage.

I mean, with lower budget you get less creative freedom. It's true that games get the more generic the wider their target audience is. But with low and medium budget games, they can still be good or bad.

Of course this isn't the late 90s anymore, and we can't have a game that succeeds for what it is (so, well done in at least two big areas).

For example, I don't think that POE at launch costed 4 millions either. Some of that money was used to improve the game later, some of that apparently went to support Obsidian's dwindling coffers. They capitalised well on the lack of BG style games back then. But delivered a problem-ridden, fanbase-dividing game.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
they need to have a lower budget to not require a huge slice of the market to justify its existence. Huge budgets necessitate broad appeal and the Codex isn't known for its love of games with broad appeal.

Yeah, like Witcher 3, a game that everybody on the Codex hates because of its high budget.

We only like little independent games like Disco Hipsterium and the dumb masses would never enjoy something that monocled, they are too busy playing Death Stranding. btw, which game won best narrative at the VGAs this year?

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Wow you're so smart and always right. And follow the masses because masses never wrong, right? You're epic and I want to be like you. Also DOS2 is so Epic and undead race is so relevant in DOS2, and adds so many mechanics wow, so cool! Very massive indeed and totaly not a useless gimmick.

You do realise that every game developers goal is to print that dollar or not?

They need to follow the masses or they will end up being sold to Microsoft

And yes D:OS2 is very decent game compared to other shit that gets released in recent years, dont have to be genius to realise that

Theldaran

Liturgist
Why can't we have nice things? Why do you advocate for games with strict limitations, Lacrymas?

I know that nowadays the majority of shekels go into graphics and tinkering with the engine, but that doesn't justify having a game with early 90s graphics... don't you think that then I would play Gold Box games? Do you think that now they can make a game with Gold Box games graphics, but better in the rest of the areas? Huh?

I'm just asking for good games according to this age, otherwise I would only play indies! Also it seems you're confusing strict indies with AA games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd sell my soul for more games with 90s graphics, but that's not the point. It is not I who place limits, it's the reality of the market forces. Would I want a great 2D RPG with a huge budget catered to my very specific desires? Yes, but that's not gonna happen.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'd sell my soul for more games with 90s graphics, but that's not the point. It is not I who place limits, it's the reality of the market forces. Would I want a great 2D RPG with a huge budget catered to my very specific desires? Yes, but that's not gonna happen.

Well because that case is the niche of the niche, it may happen along the line but probably not.

Not everybody in the Codex is so hard a hipster, I think. There are some, too, sure.

Also... the thing about 90s graphics is that... they were adapted to that era. To have them now you have to imitate them specifically, and just generally hire designers trained in that technology. And that just isn't easy to come by.

Theldaran

Liturgist
See, all it needs is that CHARNAME was a woman canonically (like Revan).

Still that wouldn't bar her from having children with Viconia or Aerie through just... "a wizard did it" (like an actual wizard). I know that those girls were hetero, but that's what retcon is for, ain't it?

I think that, since the games had blank protagonist and no mention of Abdel was made in them, they could alter canon. In fact, the canon of the BG novels is weak, shitty, and retarded. Why not change it?

Revan is canonically male.

Huh? I'm deluded then. Maybe confused him with Surik? Was it all an illusion? I dunno.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm more worried that they haven't released any story details whatsoever. Not the premise, not a handful of screenshot to illustrate the beautiful and exotic locations we will be visiting, not a sneak peak of a companion or two... nothing. This leads me to two theories:

1. The game is going through development hell.
2. The very premise of the game, its foundation, will involve some huge spoiler that Larian doesn't want to reveal too soon (for example, that we are playing as CHARNAME'S kid, or as another Bhaalspawn, or something completely different).

I agree with that, but not with calling me stupid :cool:

Theldaran

Liturgist
IMO they have solid foundations to work with, they just need to expand a bit on materials such as Descent into Avernus, if anything.

The path to follow should be clear, but they seem to want for it to be such a grandiose slam dunk that it can end up biting them in the ass. Great risk, great chances of screwing up obviously. I would be willing to be more optimistic if things like POE had left me fulfilled, which it didn't.

Atchodas

Augur
I would be willing to be more optimistic if things like POE had leave me fulfilled, which it didn't.

And why do you think I am so happy and supportive about Larian making BG3?

I mean it could have been Obsidian doing it :negative:

Seriously Godbless Swen and best of luck to him and may Sawyer burn in hell

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Still that wouldn't bar her from having children with Viconia or Aerie through just... "a wizard did it" (like an actual wizard). I know that those girls were hetero, but that's what retcon is for, ain't it?

All you need is the Cursed Belt of Gender Bending, which, as a bonus, is an actual in-game item. Either for Charname, or for the girls. Would just have to use the pause-and-drop-gear-to-the ground exploit to smuggle it to BG2. Wonder if it'd break Edwin's questline if used after his... accident. Of course the name should be updated for modern sensibilities. Rainbowy Belt of Gender Bending, anyone?

Theldaran

Liturgist

All you need is the Cursed Belt of Gender Bending, which, as a bonus, is an actual in-game item. Either for Charname, or for the girls. Would just have to use the pause-and-drop-gear-to-the ground exploit to smuggle it to BG2. Wonder if it'd break Edwin's questline if used after his... accident. Of course the name should be updated for modern sensibilities. Rainbowy Belt of Gender Bending, anyone?

I was told to my fucking face that apparently there are like 17 genders, I believe it was. Naturally after that I fled the scene posthaste.

So, maybe 17 different items or a single item with 17 choices... being a dev is hard, man.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm more worried that they haven't released any story details whatsoever. Not the premise, not a handful of screenshot to illustrate the beautiful and exotic locations we will be visiting, not a sneak peak of a companion or two... nothing. This leads me to two theories:

1. The game is going through development hell.
2. The very premise of the game, its foundation, will involve some huge spoiler that Larian doesn't want to reveal too soon (for example, that we are playing as CHARNAME'S kid, or as another Bhaalspawn, or something completely different).
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man of the tall races who romanced Viconia or Aerie, and worse than that the protagonist of this game is going to necessarily be an elf or half-elf. I really have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark about everything concerning this game.

As for it being in development hell, how can that really be? Unless they can't reach an agreement with WotC and everything is being tortuously prolonged.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man of the tall races who romanced Viconia or Aerie, and worse than that the protagonist of this game is going to necessarily be an elf or half-elf. I really have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark about everything concerning this game.
Also, the obligatory Neanderthal summon. He's gonna have a field day with this hypothesis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom