Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man who romanced Viconia or Aerie, and worse than that the protagonist of this game is going to necessarily be an elf or half-elf. I really have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark about everything concerning this game.
Also, the obligatory Neanderthal summon. He's gonna have a field day with this hypothesis.
You are assuming he doesn't die of a massive coronary first :D

Theldaran

Liturgist
IMO the reason for not having strong canon on CHARNAME was that the game sported the D&D rules, and thus you had pretty amazing variety in a lot of things like race, class, even your degree of intelligence as you could have 3 to 18 base... same with charisma...

As Bioware later proved, in modern times it could be a canonical character like Shepard, Hawke... the only game that did the same was DA Origins.

And leaving your character blank so you can fill it up as you wish, impacts the story to a degree, it has to be a bit "impersonal" because you can't really anticipate what the players want each playthrough. Or at least, that was the case in 1998.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm more worried that they haven't released any story details whatsoever. Not the premise, not a handful of screenshot to illustrate the beautiful and exotic locations we will be visiting, not a sneak peak of a companion or two... nothing. This leads me to two theories:

1. The game is going through development hell.
2. The very premise of the game, its foundation, will involve some huge spoiler that Larian doesn't want to reveal too soon (for example, that we are playing as CHARNAME'S kid, or as another Bhaalspawn, or something completely different).
Like I've theorized before, I doubt it's a wise move to force yet another canon. If we play as CHARNAME's child, the only option is for them to be a man of the tall races who romanced Viconia or Aerie,

Actually, there is one more option. Just have CHARNAME - of whichever race - find xir's spouse - of whichever race - AFTER ToB. Have the whole thing happen offscreen. The connection will be weaker then, but it will allow for any race of CHARNAME's child in BG3.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The development cycle of Larian goes as follows:

1. Talk about the game briefly.
2. Spend 9 months in an opium den penning down jokes.
3. Implement the jokes in the game, before anything else in the game is even made.
4. Make the rest of the game.
5. Optional: donate your blood to Swen so he can restore his youth and terrorize gypsy children along the countryside.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Everybody else: LOLLLLLLL LET'S HAVE THE SAME DISCUSSION AGAIN FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME
Don't fool yourself, you play a huge part in this insanity. If there could be non-mega-threads about the topic, every big question would have its own thread and people would find the discussion they're looking for. The way it is now, every discussion is buried in a mega-thread no-one will waste time searching, and so instead everyone ends up repeating discussions.

The degenerate behavior you're laughing at is the direct result of your own thread management rules.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, there's nothing to talk about but we still want to shitpost about it anyway, so quit complaining.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Everybody else: LOLLLLLLL LET'S HAVE THE SAME DISCUSSION AGAIN FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME
Don't fool yourself, you play a huge part in this insanity. If there could be non-mega-threads about the topic, every big question would have its own thread and people would find the discussion they're looking for. The way it is now, every discussion is buried in a mega-thread no-one will waste time searching, and so instead everyone ends up repeating discussions.

The degenerate behavior you're laughing at is the direct result of your own thread management rules.

That's kinda true TBH.

I never seem to be capable of finding things (actual parts of a discussion) when I need to.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
3. Implement the jokes in the game, before anything else in the game is even made.
5. Optional: donate your blood to Swen so he can restore his youth and terrorize gypsy children along the countryside.
Cobwebs of lies.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There would be oceans of ink being spilled if someone announced that they are working on a sequel to the Bible, so 250 pages for BG3 with only a revealed name isn't so terrible.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The Quran did cause quite a lot of butthurt as far as I can gather, so 250 pages is still not terrible. And the Quran is more of a spinoff or reimagining than a sequel :p

Silly Germans

I am a state cetified blood and cum donor, how can i help ?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Do Bhallspawns live forever or how is this supposed to work? Since he must have been very old to have a child that's now in the age to go adventuring.

Xeon

Augur
Do all Bhaalspawns beside the PC die in ToB? I think there was teleporting dude you help him by scaring him or something and he end up teleporting, maybe there are others as well in other places, so can't they just say your parent was one of the bhaalspawn instead of Charname specifically if others survived?

Do all Bhaalspawns beside the PC die in ToB? I think there was teleporting dude you help him by scaring him or something and he end up teleporting, maybe there are others as well in other places, so can't they just say your parent was one of the bhaalspawn instead of Charname specifically if others survived?

He explodes while teleporting, because he hits a magic barrier.

What about the chihuahua Bhaalspawn?

Xeon

Augur
You are right, I forgot, there was another quest with the mage merchant having his scrolls stolen and then warning the thief about that.

Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom