Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
It's the "eh tastes are just different all styles are valid" attitude that led to ugly cities people feel depressed in.
Disagree, at least with regards to USA.
It was government control — and handing decisions over to a few people — that led to this. Private buildings in general look really good, the public buildings whose designs are OK'd by a handful of hand-picked architects generally look like, well…
I temporarily worked in this building:
US_Dept_of_Energy_Forrestal_Building.jpg

Vatnik Wumao
It's just sad that you don't want to get the point... this perspective is no better than the one SJW's have. I get that it's edgy, but it's wrong.

No. Modernist art is what's wrong. Beauty is objective, and an art nouveau design, a classicist painting, or classical architecture is objectively more beautiful than modernist abstract art and utilitarian architecture.

It's the "eh tastes are just different all styles are valid" attitude that led to ugly cities people feel depressed in.
While people love to shit on brutalism, I do believe that some buildings done in the style are much more beautiful than kitschy art nouveau.
1920px-DHHS2_by_Matthew_Bisanz.JPG
The decaying color of the concrete and the minimalist style of the architecture itself gives it a feeling of endurance and simplicity which is Proletarian in nature (as opposed to campy bourgeois embellishments).

Also, Infinitron, maybe you could split this line of discussion into a separate thread.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
People arguing about art styles of real life buildings in a thread about BG3. I believe we have reached peak autism.
And about AC vs AB in 20 years old game.

Right after seeing first real screenshots from BG 3 after almost a year of secrecy. Tells a lot.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's just sad that you don't want to get the point... this perspective is no better than the one SJW's have. I get that it's edgy, but it's wrong.

No. Modernist art is what's wrong. Beauty is objective, and an art nouveau design, a classicist painting, or classical architecture is objectively more beautiful than modernist abstract art and utilitarian architecture.

I would almost certainly get called an SJW by some here (I disagree, but eh) and I think most utilitarian architecture is a horror. Art is more hit or miss (dada was the shit), but shit like excessive brutalism is why Britain is a giant eyesore.

I get Magnat's point about it being proletarian, but I think it serves the idea of state power more. There are good and bad modes of 'proletarian' (like anything else). It wouldn't need to be so imposing if it wasn't trying to project authority first and foremost.

You don't really see a liberated prole architecture because there's no money behind it, but the art of Europe's squats echoes what it would be.

People arguing about art styles of real life buildings in a thread about BG3. I believe we have reached peak autism.

I live for this shit.

Vatnik Wumao

I would almost certainly get called an SJW by some here (I disagree, but eh) and I think most utilitarian architecture is a horror. Art is more hit or miss (dada was the shit), but shit like excessive brutalism is why Britain is a giant eyesore.

I get Magnat's point about it being proletarian, but I think it serves the idea of state power more. There are good and bad modes of 'proletarian' (like anything else). It wouldn't need to be so imposing if it wasn't trying to project authority first and foremost.

You don't really see a liberated prole architecture because there's no money behind it, but the art of Europe's squats echoes what it would be.
Were I to be elected God Emperor of Syldavia, I would probably develop an architectural style which would combine the sort of brutalism as exemplified above with architectural folk patterns, some neoclassical shapes (mainly columns and what not) and a lot of wallhanging plants and green zones. :obviously:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Were I to be elected God Emperor of Syldavia, I would probably develop an architectural style which would combine the sort of brutalism as exemplified above with architectural folk patterns, some neoclassical shapes (mainly columns and what not) and a lot of wallhanging plants and green zones. :obviously:

MARRY ME.

I miss the squats of Amsterdam. We had a bowling alley.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just hoped to get some work done at work before drama starts, but leaks could break even best laid plans, ever(
Now I multitasking like crazy.
Yeah same here. Work is fucked for today. Can't wait for later to actually see the mechanics etc

Elex

Arbiter

Sacibengala

Prophet
I don't like them either, frankly. This is very close to Crysis 3-levels of uncanny valley, somehow.
Honestly I don't give a shit if people like them or not, that's their prerogative.
But to claim that they look like the models in Divinity 2 means having autistic levels of detachment from reality.
"Remind me of" is very different from "look alike" or "has the same quality". But...whatever.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
To be pedantic, reading the article, it is my understanding that Single Weapon Style is capable of conferring additional natural Armor Class bonuses beyond the -20 AC cap and the Dexterity figure (putting the overall maximum natural AC at -28) and that the next best option for characters forced to stack Armor Class for physical survivability (Monks, I suppose) is to stack modifiers versus specific types of armor, since they allow the Armor Class value to budge above the cap. Thanks to stacking Potions of Absorption, you can achieve negative AC in the forties against blunt weapons and multiple characters have sources of piercing AC (though stacking this to high heavens would only really be of note against Ascension Illasera, and she already has better counters). Unfortunately, it's the hardest to pump up vs slashing AC, which is by far the most common, although with enough pushing of the envelope one might be able to hit around -33 effective AC against that type.

Thanks for taking the time to read the write-up and expose its omissions and oversights. I forgot about SWS and I copped out on PoA with a general footnote on +AC from potions, which I didn't add after each breakdown. : P

Curratum

fuck fuck fuck i'm still at work
I was seeing some leaked screenshots https://imgur.com/a/h6KujfN#caVuocp

And this took my attention.
rPPA08Q.jpg

Honestly; looks like "DOS3" But i really wish that is only visual wise. Not mechanic wise.

so what's the yellow bar there?

UI being being basic is expected if it's gonna stay in EA for a while...
Movement. (Speed in 5e terms)

BA could be bonus action, as defined in the 5E rules:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/05/23/clarification-about-bonus-actions/

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I want to have the option to remove the tacky character outlines when you mouse over something. It does indeed just look like D:OS3 but D&D. Which is actually better than straight-up D:OS3, especially if they cut random items and stat bloat. BA is more than likely Bonus Action, but it might be something else.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to have the option to remove the tacky character outlines when you mouse over something.
I'm obviously not against extra options but the outline is there to indicate that you are actually targeting the character and not the floor next to him for example

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm obviously not against extra options but the outline is there to indicate that you are actually targeting the character and not the floor next to him for example
Mmmm no, changing the mouse cursor is enough. Even with that outline in one of the D:OSes, people were still hitting the floor instead due to the idle animations of the models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom