Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Especially when quoting that special needs kid who barely joined and now thinks the codex has "gone to the dogs". If your tastes align with his you might have a problem.
Fuck off me boy. You keep talking but I'm still waiting for that picture. I'm a fucking chad, and there is literally nothing I can't do better than you.

Vatnik Wumao
The Disco Elysium player is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Disco Elysium player and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

The idea that only one form of RPG is worth having is beyond silly, but this whole damn forum sees either/or everywhere.
I for one consider both mechanics and story to be integral in the making of a good RPG, but were I to be forced to pick a side, I'd stick with my storyfag bros.

DraQ

Arcane
Jesus why the fuck 3-D? Have they learned nothing?

The mechanic just adds absolutely nothing to a turn based RPG experience, other than having to fanny about with the camera constantly. The only thing you actually get from it is more busywork.

Stupid cunts.
this is peak boomer grognard :positive:

In a turn based combat 3-D adds absolutely nothing.

All a 3-D setting really does for a game is create a sense of action through dynamic changes in the visuals. When you're playing turn based there is no dynamism, it's all about considered action and paced as such.
Aand... we have the first stroke ITT.
:salute:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
You people are self-sabotaging, joyless catastrophizers. This is the first ever AAA turn-based D&D RPG ever, and taking into consideration the AAA part this is absolutely surreal and almost tailor-made for Codex tastes. Yes, the visuals can be a bit ...too much, but the combat and verticality, the sozzy-ness of being able to talk to people with all of your companions while your main is skulking around, the faithful adaptation of D&D 5E, the amount of physical feats you can do in combat (jump, dash, push, pull, shove, I think I saw grapple there as well), the itemisation not being random, etc. etc. are all pure incline and almost hard to believe is actually happening.
Have you heard about this small indi game called Pathfinder:Kingmaker?
Has shitty rtwp gameplay. Modders had to literally fix it.

Falksi

Arcane
Intro screen revealed...

cqDkrAI.png

Latro

Arcane
The Disco Elysium player is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Disco Elysium player and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”
don't worry, as soon as za/um's twitter says something nice about BG3 they'll fall in line like the lemmings they are

Ausdoerrt

Augur
The aesthetics are obviously similar to the Original Sin games, I don't know why they didn't have a different artstyle to differentiate it or to give it some personality.
But it is different? It looks similar cause it's basically the same engine, but it's clear they're going for a somewhat different tone and aesthetic.

Mortmal

Arcane
there is no character creation? or just this preview?
There is, he showed a bit at the start. He played a premade toon to speed up the show.

I would've rather had 10 minutes of character creation than 10 minutes of Swen escaping a trap.
There's Nothing to show , 5Elevel 1 creation is simple enough and there's not even every basic classes yet, bard, barbarian, sorcerers, druid and monks sorry Pink Eye are missing

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official feature list from updated Steam page. Btw Swen said in the livestream Early Access is coming in a couple of months.

Gather your party, and return to the Forgotten Realms in a tale of fellowship and betrayal, sacrifice and survival, and the lure of absolute power.

Mysterious abilities are awakening inside you, drawn from a Mind Flayer parasite planted in your brain. Resist, and turn darkness against itself. Or embrace corruption, and become ultimate evil.

From the creators of Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes a next-generation RPG, set in the world of Dungeons and Dragons.

01.png

Choose from a wide selection of D&D races and classes, or play as an origin character with a hand-crafted background. Adventure, loot, battle and romance as you journey through the Forgotten Realms and beyond. Play alone, and select your companions carefully, or as a party of up to four in multiplayer.

An expansive original story
Abducted, infected, lost. You are turning into a monster, but as the corruption inside you grows, so does your power. That power may help you to survive, but there will be a price to pay, and more than any ability, the bonds of trust that you build within your party could be your greatest strength. Caught in a conflict between devils, deities, and sinister otherworldly forces, you will determine the fate of the Forgotten Realms together.

03.png

Forged with the new Divinity 4.0 engine, Baldur’s Gate 3 gives you unprecedented freedom to explore, experiment, and interact with a world that reacts to your choices. A grand, cinematic narrative brings you closer to your characters than ever before, as you venture through our biggest world yet.

No adventure will be the same
The Forgotten Realms are a vast, detailed and diverse world, and there are secrets to be discovered all around you -- verticality is a vital part of exploration. Sneak, dip, shove, climb, and jump as you journey from the depths of the Underdark to the glittering rooftops of the Upper City. How you survive, and the mark you leave on the world, is up to you.
  • Online multiplayer for up to four players allows you to combine your forces in combat, and split your party to follow your own quests and agendas. Concoct the perfect plan together… or introduce an element of chaos when your friends least expect it.
  • Origin Characters offer a hand-crafted experience, each with their own unique traits, agenda, and outlook on the world. Their stories intersect with the entire narrative, and your choices will determine whether those stories end in redemption, salvation, domination, or many other outcomes.
  • Evolved turn-based combat, based on the D&D 5e ruleset. Team-based initiative, advantage & disadvantage, and roll modifiers join combat cameras, expanded environmental interactions, and a new fluidity in combat that rewards strategy and foresight.
  • Define the future of the Forgotten Realms through your choices, and the roll of the dice. No matter who you play, or what you roll, the world and its inhabitants will react to your story.
  • Player-initiated turn-based mode allows you to pause the world around you at any time even outside of combat. Whether you see an opportunity for a tactical advantage before combat begins, want to pull off a heist with pin-point precision, or need to escape a fiendish trap. Split your party, prepare ambushes, sneak in the darkness -- create your own luck!

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
kinda cool how people on RPG Codex are calling a turn-based iso CRPG with a faithfully implemented D&D ruleset "decline" because it looks ugly, huh
i don't even like larian, but the D&D ruleset and better character designs already prove this will be better than what came before. it's quite simply not baldur's gate, but it could be a superior original sin.

AliceAlcina

Learned
kinda cool how people on RPG Codex are calling a turn-based iso CRPG with a faithfully implemented D&D ruleset "decline" because it looks ugly, huh

no, it look beautiful.
they are afraid it would bring bit of humor to the game and trash the Larian due their previous colorful games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is perhaps because they secretly play AAA games and have gotten used to "good" graphics, so this is "last gen" and "not contemporary" to them. What a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom