Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The idea that only one form of RPG is worth having is beyond silly, but this whole damn forum sees either/or everywhere.
I for one consider both mechanics and story to be integral in the making of a good RPG, but were I to be forced to pick a side, I'd stick with my storyfag bros.

Believe me, I'm on the storyfag side of things. I'm finding the complaint that naysayers are all just wanting 'another book' stupid, not you for caring about it.

It would just be nice to see fewer zero sum arguments where it makes zero sense.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
don't worry, as soon as za/um's twitter says something nice about BG3 they'll in line like the lemmings they are
Do you think that the gameplay demo you saw was good? Are you optimistic about the games future quality? What is your opinion Latro, let's get it on record.
kinda cool how people on RPG Codex are calling a turn-based iso CRPG with a faithfully implemented D&D ruleset "decline" because it looks ugly, huh
It goes far deeper than how it looks. The entire dialogue system is completely fucked which is a direct representation of the game's writing and story-telling. As for this so called "faithful implementation of the D&D ruleset", first of all it's 5th edition D&D which is much worse than 2nd edition AD&D. Second, it doesn't matter how faithful a game implements a ruleset if the actual combat system looks like shit. All the jumping around, the horrible camera view, the MMO like abilities on the bottom of the hotbar. Shit felt mind-numbingly slow, and the word claustrophobic comes to mind. You're just a bot though, so this is all irrelevant.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, essentially, this game is going to be a terrible Baldur's Gate, but a fun D:OS with the D&D system surgically inserted and the setting and name of BG glued on top with adhesive tape.

That's fine by me, yeah.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tell me a single thing you saw that makes you think of Baldur's gate games. The game is a fucking rip off and reskin of dos2

Nothing and that is a good thing because I never liked BG. For fans it's of course a let down to sell this as BG.
Why is a good thing? Do people go the games you like and say that it is a good thing if it got gutted and fully changed? Shouldn't games be focused on the things that people who like it,want it?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't watch it all cuz boring but I skimmed over it all. Seems ok but I expected more. It is basically DoS 2.5. It doesn't have the tone of BG. Turn based is nice. Combat looks promising. Dialogue and story looks disappointing. I prefer to be playing a game with a madman like Irenicus than a demon like the devil from South Park. I'll play it because DoS1 but with better combat would be fun for me and I think that's what this is. But I hoped for more.

I also find it frustrating that gameplay is not progressing, only really the tech. All this time has passed and graphics got better, but I would really like something that is like a new leap forward from BG2 in terms of gameplay, and this just isn't. It is the same thing I've played 100 times. I know a lot of people want more BG and I'd play it too, but I would prefer to see an evolution of RPGs. And that doesn't seem possible when the best we can hope for is a game that tries to be like something from 20 years ago but with a lick of fresh paint.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I would've rather had 10 minutes of character creation than 10 minutes of Swen escaping a trap.
Eh, I'd rather see how a game actually plays live, rather that suffer through another ironed-out rehearsed presentation that shows you only what marketing determined would sell the game better. What was the last time you saw a major developer do an actual live playthrough? Of a pre-alpha game?

It's better to not have combat, AKA Disco, than turd based.
Except what combat Disco had was basically turn-based. So, wut?

Murk

Arcane
The vertical aspect of things looks interesting, and the ability to actually move shit around and climb it is promising. I hope there's a lot of thievery related stuff you can do.

Mind boggling how few games allow you to "go in through the window" ala Arcanum.

Curratum

How is it even possible to have so many retarded people posting in here, and even arguing among each other while both sides are retarded?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Especially when quoting that special needs kid who barely joined and now thinks the codex has "gone to the dogs". If your tastes align with his you might have a problem.
Fuck off me boy. You keep talking but I'm still waiting for that picture. I'm a fucking chad, and there is literally nothing I can't do better than you.

What's up bud! Still wanking to snuff movies on the internet?
No wonder your avatar is a guy ready to blow his brains out, you little shit!

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Abducted, infected, lost. You are turning into a monster, but as the corruption inside you grows, so does your power. That power may help you to survive, but there will be a price to pay, and more than any ability, the bonds of trust that you build within your party could be your greatest strength. Caught in a conflict between devils, deities, and sinister otherworldly forces, you will determine the fate of the Forgotten Realms together.
Just imagine Mask Of Betrayer with Larian writing....

DraQ

Arcane
Jesus why the fuck 3-D? Have they learned nothing?

The mechanic just adds absolutely nothing to a turn based RPG experience, other than having to fanny about with the camera constantly. The only thing you actually get from it is more busywork.

Stupid cunts.
this is peak boomer grognard :positive:

In a turn based combat 3-D adds absolutely nothing.

All a 3-D setting really does for a game is create a sense of action through dynamic changes in the visuals. When you're playing turn based there is no dynamism, it's all about considered action and paced as such.
Aand... we have the first stroke ITT.
:salute:
Falksi
...Because other than most of your brain suddenly gasping for fumes (or haemorrhaging itself dead) there is simply no excuse for posting anything nearly this retarded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Origins is something I am not sure about. BG seemed <charname> driven, or you could create choices through traditional race/class/skill/alignment selections. But since they cut alignment, they added "u can start as vampur lol". what exactly it adds to BG formula ima not sure.

Heinrich

Scholar
Honestly the most surprising thing about all of this is still that Lacrymas of all people has just become the biggest Baldurs Gate 3 fan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom