Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm curious how Larian plans to implement 5E at-will reactions in a turn-based system. It works in PnP because a player can just interject in the middle of an enemy turn and the DM can take it from there. Take for example the Protection fighting style that Fighters and Paladins can take:

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

The only way I can see of implementing this in a computer game would be pausing in the middle of the enemy turn when a possible reaction is available to the player. So the system would have to be effectively turn-based with pause (TBwP).
They can easily implement this by modifying their existing attack on opportunity.

The problem is the at-will aspect of the reaction, maybe you want to keep your attack of opportunity because you want to protect the backline or maybe you don't want to spend you reaction with this enemy in particular because its attacks are weak.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious how Larian plans to implement 5E at-will reactions in a turn-based system. It works in PnP because a player can just interject in the middle of an enemy turn and the DM can take it from there. Take for example the Protection fighting style that Fighters and Paladins can take:

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

The only way I can see of implementing this in a computer game would be pausing in the middle of the enemy turn when a possible reaction is available to the player. So the system would have to be effectively turn-based with pause (TBwP).
They can easily implement this by modifying their existing attack on opportunity.
Kinda hard to make that work well when reactions can consume resources such as spell slots. You don't necessarily want to take every possible reaction in 5e.

I'm expecting that a lot of reactive abilities will be either cut or significantly tweaked. One example we know of is the Feather Fall spell. In 5e Feather Fall is a reaction spell that you can trigger when you fall, but in the gameplay demo Swen manually cast the spell before jumping off the cliff.

DraQ

Arcane
Baldur's Gate III, a sequel to two classic, well-implemented realtime-with-pause games, then RTWP
Did this guy even play BG with its well implemented RTWP? How about kludgy hacks like "let's turn pause off while in inventory" because they couldn't find a way to stop people from changing from plate into robes and back in split second or gulping eleventy potions at once?

Someone should troll them by joining and arguing it should be RTWP to stay true to its DnD roots.
Hell, forget about trolling - by the looks of it we might be lucky enough to get a few RTWP folks ITT to do it earnestly.
They seem dumb enough.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
- just like bg our game is about your party
- but you have 2 less party members

:M
Is there any practical advantage of having maximum of 6 party members over 4 though (assuming the encounters are designed with the maximum possible party size)?

In all those games you need to have a tank, a healer, a thief and a spellslinger. Two extra characters allows you room for customization in your party set up. Who is gonna take a bard or a druid when a cleric or a thief are more efficient in their primary roles? But with a party of six, you can take anyone you want.

There's also the whole companion thing but it seems in this game they threw that out the window with that awful dialog shit lmao.
When you talk about "primary role", you are not taking into account how skills and proficiencies works in D&D 5. A rogue and a bard can be both excellent "thieves". A cleric can be both a tank (even better than fighters, who are more damage dealers) and a healer.

Having said that, SWEN WHAT THE FUCK GIVE US THE FUN

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

With pause of course! BG3 is going to be the first ever TBwP game!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
battles would be too long

Does not fucking compute, fie and begone zoomer filth.
Ok, senile boomer. Remember the fight with oil slimes that they cut out from OS2? Now imagine every encounter being built like that, because they need to somehow challenge team of 6 characters,while staying true to the ruleset.
The ruleset gives the DM very simple and easy to use tools to build encounters for 6 characters. Having played the game for a long time, these encounters hardly ever last more than 5 or 6 rounds, so I really can't see any problem with a 6-men party.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
As usual the codex is going to fixate on irrelevant shite like UI, inventory, party size, "itemization" etc ignoring real problems like mechanical depth, writing and setting. Buncha chumps you are. No wonder games are utterly shite.

Honestly I hate the writing even more than the turn based system. I'd maybe be willing to give it a chance if not for the shit tier dialogue style

As someone who hasn't even played a CRPG, I can already tell going turn based is a retarded decision. Is there anything a TB RPG has over an RT one besides bowing to the muh accessibility crusade?
Stating opinion without actually trying the thing you are shitting on is a retarded decision as well.

DraQ

Arcane
We no longer "burn" things with fire. Now we just "dip" them.
It would be nice to have mechanics like this for fire arrows, though - position yourself adjacent to fire source and you can actually fire them ignited, otherwise they are just arrows with higher price and negative damage modifier.

For dipping (in fire at least) I would love to see something like this just once:
> you dip your bow in fire
> congrats, bow is now charcoal
:swen:
Dipping in actual fluids should work normally - for *arrows* in case of bow.

As someone who hasn't even played a CRPG, I can already tell going turn based is a retarded decision. Is there anything a TB RPG has over an RT one besides bowing to the muh accessibility crusade?
It seems to reliably annoy retards, for one.

Harthwain

Magister

With pause of course! BG3 is going to be the first ever TBwP game!
Jagged Alliance had an interrupt system where you could take an action during your opponent's turn (which made saving some action points useful).

I find that part to be ironic, because I remember when playing turn-based was considered less accessible approach than real time. How the tables have turned...

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Go back and play trails of sky on easy for the story and world building and keep your degeneracy away from traditional PC gaming.
Not my fault "traditional PC gaming" can only muster one half-decent turn-based RPG per decade. Also, why so butthurt?

DraQ

Arcane
Dips bow.

Seriously what were they thinking drinking?

Draq came up with the correct answer in two seconds.
It would be even cooler with explosive arrows - you could basically have two kinds - one that needs to be "dipped" before firing to explode, the other that just explodes on impact, but might detonate in inventory if character (or container) falls, jumps from sufficient height, is impacted by sufficient blunt damage, is affected by other explosions or certain spells (*cough*, shatter, *cough*).

Yes, this is this simulationism that's apparently worthless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's what I think will go wrong - writing will fail to be meaningful or engaging. I'm sure they'll find a way to make a vampire, one of the most ripe for exploitation things, pointless and sterile. The environments will be meh at best in terms of aesthetics and design. The 4 member party will limit the encounter design, but that encounter design would be pretty cool. While I usually throw the evil eye at Larian, they have always managed to show a particularly keen sense of lead-up and culmination. Cyseal has at least 3 such areas. It might get formulaic at one point, though, so they have to be careful. The companions are going to all be white kids with problems, i.e. totally normal people with silly issues. They'll use the BG references in the most inopportune times, like a super tense situation that will be resolved by Minsc storming in. I also have the nagging feeling they'll not let up the epicness and it will be mindflayers and dragons all the way down. I hope we get to do more traditionally adventurous things and get away from all that, but I'm not holding my breath. Oh, and the SFX are going to cause my eyes to bleed.

So, yeah, basically the writing I guess. They have a "dozen" writers now, so my 7 man cuck squad is no longer appropriate.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
As usual the codex is going to fixate on irrelevant shite like UI, inventory, party size, "itemization" etc ignoring real problems like mechanical depth, writing and setting. Buncha chumps you are. No wonder games are utterly shite.
Writing would be bad, so why even discus it before we would see it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom