Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kaivokz

Arcane
PC Gamer are officially RtwPfags: https://www.pcgamer.com/it-sucks-that-baldurs-gate-3-is-turn-based/

Complete with "turn-based is slow and boring" and "grinds RPGs to a halt". And, cherry on top "lulz taking turns in combat is silly".

P.S. if someone here decides to defend this drivel, the thread should just be burned with fire, maybe the entire Codex, in fact.
Go back and play trails of sky on easy for the story and world building and keep your degeneracy away from traditional PC gaming.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What constitutes a follower? Maybe we can have permanent followers.
:negative:
I remember Swen saying in the demo that when your camp will expand you will have your followers there also. So that might mean that followers are "not-so-detailed" party members. Aka you won't get to level them up and stuff. Who knows
I want to believe they are just like Pillars henchmen or Kingmaker mercenaries.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm curious how Larian plans to implement 5E at-will reactions in a turn-based system. It works in PnP because a player can just interject in the middle of an enemy turn and the DM can take it from there. Take for example the Protection fighting style that Fighters and Paladins can take:

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

The only way I can see of implementing this in a computer game would be pausing in the middle of the enemy turn when a possible reaction is available to the player. So the system would have to be effectively turn-based with pause (TBwP).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
for the love of god just add a skip animations toggle to the turn based game

both jrpgs and blobbers have been doing it for ten thousand years
b but jrpgs are anime degeneracy. even though unlike western games they have been continuing traditions of tb combat, tb tactics, and even blobbers (!), they're bad and there's nothing one could learn from them. r right? (holds his cinematic dialogue waifu)

Those games could be masterpieces but the animu shit IS a deal breaker. There's SOOOO much fucking shit they could cull from their history and THAT's what they decide to give us?

What constitutes a follower? Maybe we can have permanent followers.
:negative:
I remember Swen saying in the demo that when your camp will expand you will have your followers there also. So that might mean that followers are "not-so-detailed" party members. Aka you won't get to level them up and stuff. Who knows
Nope, camp followers are a separate thing.

You'll also be able to recruit "camp followers," who give you benefits at your nightly campsite, but don't participate in combat. D&D aficionados will be pleased to know that one potential camp follower is Volo: the gregarious adventurer who chronicles all notable goings-on in the Forgotten Realms.

Shadenuat

Arcane
for the love of god just add a skip animations toggle to the turn based game

both jrpgs and blobbers have been doing it for ten thousand years
b but jrpgs are anime degeneracy. even though unlike western games they have been continuing traditions of tb combat, tb tactics, and even blobbers (!), they're bad and there's nothing one could learn from them. r right? (holds his cinematic dialogue waifu)

Those games could be masterpieces but the animu shit IS a deal breaker. There's SOOOO much fucking shit they could cull from their history and THAT's what they decide to give us?
well not all animu shit is same shit. like shrine of orm that is still slowly made by that 1 dude who likes old style fantasy anime I think many would tolerate https://twitter.com/shrineoform?lang=en

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm curious how Larian plans to implement 5E at-will reactions in a turn-based system. It works in PnP because a player can just interject in the middle of an enemy turn and the DM can take it from there. Take for example the Protection fighting style that Fighters and Paladins can take:

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

The only way I can see of implementing this in a computer game would be pausing in the middle of the enemy turn when a possible reaction is available to the player. So the system would have to be effectively turn-based with pause (TBwP).
Pretty easy: Just have it be mandatory and automatic.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

This is what they are going for in Solasta (10:17):

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just remove Paladin. I need no Lawful Stupid religious zealot in my party. Shoo.

Fuck you moderntard with your "grey" moral relativism shit gib me muh Paladin so i can go bring a can of Deus Vult on the filthy heretics.
Well, there you have it. Different people want a different style campaign, including at different times.

That's what I liked most about DE, it was like a PnP campaign set in the right setting and with the right tone and story for me. I didn't feel railroaded gameplay-wise, because I was already fine with the above things, and I had enough roleplaying opportunities within the constraints of the world, the story, and the predefined character.

They can easily implement this by modifying their existing attack on opportunity.

Harthwain

Magister
- just like bg our game is about your party
- but you have 2 less party members

:M
Is there any practical advantage of having maximum of 6 party members over 4 though (assuming the encounters are designed with the maximum possible party size in mind)?

Shadenuat

Arcane

Is there any practical advantage of having maximum of 6 party members over 4 though (assuming the encounters are designed with the maximum possible party size)?
4 members more or less fall into categories of fighta roguey cleric mage.

5 gives strange classes or pair combinations (like fighta + 2 flanking rogues + casters) a go.

6 to 8 provides for even bigger flexibility due to so much open space in party composition.

Is there any practical advantage of having maximum of 6 party members over 4 though (assuming the encounters are designed with the maximum possible party size)?
Amount of possible team compositions increases dramatically. But I don't mind it being designed around 4, battles would be too long with more.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Well to be clear, it's a video game so there is not about it that is practical. But, the gameplay is much more interesting and much more varied when you have those two extra slots. The strategy and tactics get deeper, you can explore more classes, etc.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

You can experiment with more classes combinations. It's the same practical advantage of having a maximum of 4 party members over a single main character with no companions: you can have more fun controlling more characters with various classes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

In all those games you need to have a tank, a healer, a thief and a spellslinger. Two extra characters allows you room for customization in your party set up. Who is gonna take a bard or a druid when a cleric or a thief are more efficient in their primary roles? But with a party of six, you can take anyone you want.

There's also the whole companion thing but it seems in this game they threw that out the window with that awful dialog shit lmao.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom