Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Goldschmidt

Learned
If you don't like the direction that BG3 is taking, don't play it. No matter what it is, it cannot ruin BG 1 and 2.

Yes, it cannot ruin BG 1 or 2 but it is one game less to look forward to.

BG 2 -> BG 3
POE 2 -> Avowed

maybe Black Geyser but I doubt it. If you are looking for a rtwp isometric roleplaying game, your options are growing slim these days.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
maybe Black Geyser but I doubt it. If you are looking for a rtwp isometric roleplaying game, your options are growing slim these days.
If you are looking for RTwP RPGs, you should really look for a doctor instead.

Also... there's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. What more could you possibly want?

Kitchen Utensil

I love BG1 and 2 as much as anyone else, but this obsessive hatred for the “marring” of the series is pathetically retarded.

Even if BG3 was TERRIBLE, it wouldn’t change anything about BG 1 and 2.

It’s sort of like the Star Wars sequels. In my opinion, they are absolutely awful movies. Massive shits on the established characters and lore. Does that ruin all of Star Wars? No. They’re just bad movies.

So if BG3 were bad, it doesn’t take away from BG1&2. Another example is Ultima IX. I have never seen anyone praise that game, and yet somehow Ultima is still regarded as one of the greatest role-playing game series of all time.

If you are a soulless consumer faggot, yes.
Not sure what consuming has to do with what I said.

If you don't like the direction that BG3 is taking, don't play it. No matter what it is, it cannot ruin BG 1 and 2.

Lel, since so many Larian-faggots seem to be incapable to comprehend what I'm saying and are downvoting me, let me try to explain even to the dumbest retard:

If I were to invent and sell something under a certain name, be it something intellectual like a crime story, a script for a movie, a sepcial kind of furniture or anything else, would it be ok for anyone owning the rights to just sell _anything_ under the same label, even if it was _nothing_ like the original product?

Imagine yourself in the inventor's position. Do you not care at all what the next thing labelled with the name you've given your invention would be? Something completetly contradicting your original idea?

Well, I guess not. But then you're a retarded cons00mer or brainwashed beyond anything that'd be worth to be called a human being.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
If I were to invent and sell something under a certain name, be it something intellectual like a crime story, a script for a movie, ea sepciaal kind of furniture or anything else, would it be ok to sell _anything_ under the same
If what you want to sell respects the fundamental characteristics implied by that certain name, yes.

So the question becomes: what are the fundamental characteristics of Baldur's Gate? (We already had a poll on that: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/what-makes-a-baldurs-gate-to-you.132106/page-10 )

Lilliput McHammersmith

I love BG1 and 2 as much as anyone else, but this obsessive hatred for the “marring” of the series is pathetically retarded.

Even if BG3 was TERRIBLE, it wouldn’t change anything about BG 1 and 2.

It’s sort of like the Star Wars sequels. In my opinion, they are absolutely awful movies. Massive shits on the established characters and lore. Does that ruin all of Star Wars? No. They’re just bad movies.

So if BG3 were bad, it doesn’t take away from BG1&2. Another example is Ultima IX. I have never seen anyone praise that game, and yet somehow Ultima is still regarded as one of the greatest role-playing game series of all time.

If you are a soulless consumer faggot, yes.
Not sure what consuming has to do with what I said.

Lel, since so many Larian-faggots seem to be incapable to comprehend what I'm saying and are downvoting me, let me try to explain even to the dumbest retard:

If I were to invent and sell something under a certain name, be it something intellectual like a crime story, a script for a movie, a sepcial kind of furniture or anything else, would it be ok for anyone owning the rights to just sell _anything_ under the same label, even if it was _nothing_ like the original product?

Imagine yourself in the inventor's position. Do you not care at all what the next thing labelled with the name you've given your invention would be? Something completetly contradicting your original idea?

Well, I guess not. But then you're a retarded cons00mer or brainwashed beyoned anything that'd be worth to be called a human being.
Did you ever consider that you are possibly retarded?

Downvoting you? What is this, Reddit? Go back to Reddit and cry about RTwP, faggot.

Black Isle, the company that made Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and BioWare, in that form, and TSR, don't exist anymore. WOTC bought the rights. Your whole "inventor" thing is dumb

Kitchen Utensil

If I were to invent and sell something under a certain name, be it something intellectual like a crime story, a script for a movie, ea sepciaal kind of furniture or anything else, would it be ok to sell _anything_ under the same
If what you want to sell respects the fundamental characteristics implied by that certain name, yes.

So the question becomes: what are the fundamental characteristics of Baldur's Gate? (We already had a poll on that: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/what-makes-a-baldurs-gate-to-you.132106/page-10 )

The results of that poll represent the controvery in this thread quite well, if you ask me, even if tat poll seems to be kinda biased to me. So the people who want to shut down any opposing opinions in this thread are in error.

Saying "if you don't like it, don't play it" is retarded.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Also... there's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. What more could you possibly want?

Pathfinder is Russian, unbalanced mess.

As much as I am not the biggest fan of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the gameplay is far from unbalanced. It is a lot of fun, it's just the setting, writing, and trash encounters that make me not a huge fan of Kingmaker. Combat alone, it is pretty great.

Lilliput McHammersmith

The results of that poll represent the controvery in this thread quite well, if you ask me, even if tat poll seems to be kinda biased to me. So the people who want to shut down any opposing opinions in this thread are in error.
Nobody is shutting down anything. What you're saying just isn't popular.

Vatnik Wumao
Truth isn't a popularity contest.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Sure, but we're talking about an unreleased piece of entertainment. Shit, the amount of people on this site who spout platitudes about authoritativeness, truth, etc. are seriously deluded. Or autistic. Or both.

Kitchen Utensil

I've been following this thread for a while, and people have repeatedly tried to intimidate those who don't like where this game is going into stopping to participate. Don't lie now, that would be quite easy to prove (unless Infinitron or someone would delete said posts).

Lilliput McHammersmith

Saying "if you don't like it, don't play it" is retarded.
If you don't like it, don't play it.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I've been following this thread for a while, and people have repeatedly tried to intimidate those who don't like where this game is going into stopping to participate. Don't lie now, that would be quite easy to prove.
Please prove that. I have been following it too, and claiming that anyone was intimidating anybody else over an unreleased VIDEO GAME is asinine to the point of ludicrous. Bad troll at this point.

Vatnik Wumao
Sure, but we're talking about an unreleased piece of entertainment. Shit, the amount of people on this site who spout platitudes about authoritativeness, truth, etc. are seriously deluded. Or autistic. Or both.
It's not a platitude when it is in response to a logical fallacy.

Anyhow, I'm not that big of a fan of the original BGs and Larian's 'sequel' might turn out to be better for all I know (although I seriously doubt it), but you're either deluded or intellectually dishonest to claim that this game's name is anything other than an underhanded PR decision taken for brand recognition (a.i. Larianfags would buy Larian games no matter what they were called, but this will incentivize BG nostalgics to try it out) and/or as a way to experiment with the D:OS format without tainting the name and reputation of Larian's original franchise.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Divinity: Forgotten Realms - nothing more, nothing less.

Kitchen Utensil

Fair enough, I'm too drunk to read that fanboy drivel for a second time right now, but I know that every post critical of the game is being downvoted to hell, however reasonable the post is. You fanboy fuckers even invaded the BG3-hate thread (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and downvote every "BG3-hater" there.

That you're not ashamed of yourself shilling for a shitty "DOS2-Baldur's Gate Edition" is beyond my imagination.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why pay money for making a game in certain setting, when they could make game in theirs own setting for free?

The funny thing is Larian was able to create its own stories, and somewhat playable games. D:OS2 was too much rehash, too many cameos and elves were not elves. But, frankly definitive edition, it was decent. (Or if you got it for free, and had no reason to complain for decent non crashing game. They removed the non crashing part in last patch, thus your mileage would differ until they repair it.)

Lilliput McHammersmith

Anyhow, I'm not that big of a fan of the original BGs and Larian's 'sequel' might turn out to be better for all I know (although I seriously doubt it), but you're either deluded or intellectually dishonest to claim that this game's name is anything other than an underhanded PR decision taken for brand recognition (a.i. Larianfags would buy Larian games no matter what they were called, but this will incentivize BG nostalgics to try it out) and/or as a way to experiment with the D:OS format without tainting the name and reputation of Larian's original franchise.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Divinity: Forgotten Realms - nothing more, nothing less.
Logical fallacy where?

Claim from fork: people want to shut down opposing opinions
Me: your opinion just isn't popular
You: Truth isn't a popularity contest
Me: :roll:

I never claimed anything about the game's name. Yeah it totally is a PR stunt. Larian is not perfect, in my book. I have only thoroughly enjoyed one of their games. At best, I would say I'm cautiously optimistic, but I am getting more and more excited about BG3, primarily because it is TB, set in Forgotten Realms, and has multiclassing. All great points for me.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Fair enough, I'm too drunk to read that fanboy drivel for a second time right now, but I know that every post critical of the game is being downvoted to hell, however reasonable the post is. You fanboy fuckers even invaded the BG3-hate thread (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and downvote every "BG3-hater" there.

That you're not ashamed of yourself shilling for a shitty "DOS2-Baldur's Gate Edition" is beyond my imagination.
First, who's shilling?

Second, downvoting? What are you going on about? There are no downvotes on this site. Go back to r/baldursgate.

Kitchen Utensil

First, who's shilling?

Second, downvoting? What are you going on about? There are no downvotes on this site. Go back to r/baldursgate.

No downvotes, huh, watch your post getting downvoted, faggit.

Lilliput McHammersmith

First, who's shilling?

No downvotes, huh, watch your post getting downvoted, faggit.
Hahaha how pathetic. Oh no! You rated my post as retarded. Now I am going to cry all about it. You're "intimidating" me because I have a contrary opinion. Oh the horror! Please, someone make it stop.

Hahah faggot.

Salvo

Arcane
Why pay money for making a game in certain setting, when they could make game in theirs own setting for free?

DnD has had a massive resurgence in the past years. It's becoming, arguably has become already, a normie / socially accepted hobby, in no small parts due to Critical Role IMO. DnD 5E, the most widespread edition and the one that this game is using as its ruleset is based in the Forgotten Realms.

So you have:

1) Nostalgia bait for oldfags that will inevitably try out the game to scratch the BG itch (it probably won't but eh)
2) Lariandrones that will eat this shit up as was stated above
3) People that play DnD but don't play videogames but will end up trying this one out because "it's just like the tabletop"

Overall tying their name to DnD and the Forgotten Realms is a pretty smart business decision. You get a huge pool of potential customers this way

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I've been following this thread for a while, and people have repeatedly tried to intimidate those who don't like where this game is going into stopping to participate. Don't lie now, that would be quite easy to prove (unless Infinitron or someone would delete said posts).
Then, seeing Ontopoly's activity, I guess we really aren't that great at intimidating.

Salvo

Arcane

I, but I am getting more and more excited about BG3, primarily because it is TB, set in Forgotten Realms, and has multiclassing. All great points for me.

I wish I had your optimism for the future : /

Lilliput McHammersmith

Then, seeing Ontopoly's activity, I guess we really aren't that great at intimidating.
I really didn't believe you could be more retarded than Ontopoly, but here we have fork proving that theory wrong. At least fork isn't going on about "passion".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom