Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kitchen Utensil

The results of that poll represent the controvery in this thread quite well, if you ask me, even if tat poll seems to be kinda biased to me. So the people who want to shut down any opposing opinions in this thread are in error.
Nobody is shutting down anything. What you're saying just isn't popular.

I've been following this thread for a while, and people have repeatedly tried to intimidate those who don't like where this game is going into stopping to participate. Don't lie now, that would be quite easy to prove (unless Infinitron or someone would delete said posts).
Then, seeing Ontopoly's activity, I guess we really aren't that great at intimidating.

Lel.

But seriously, thank god (or rather, DU). As retarded as some of the most ignored and downvoted guys are, I'm grateful that they're not banned. Eventhough I personally probably would ban some of them.

Vatnik Wumao
Logical fallacy where?

Claim from fork: people want to shut down opposing opinions
Me: your opinion just isn't popular
You: Truth isn't a popularity contest
Me: :roll:

I never claimed anything about the game's name. Yeah it totally is a PR stunt. Larian is not perfect, in my book. I have only thoroughly enjoyed one of their games. At best, I would say I'm cautiously optimistic, but I am getting more and more excited about BG3, primarily because it is TB, set in Forgotten Realms, and has multiclassing. All great points for me.
Fair enough. Thought that you were likewise acknowledging the validity of the naming by way of an argumentum ad populum in your reply to fork.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why pay money for making a game in certain setting, when they could make game in theirs own setting for free?
z341reV.png

Are you serious?

Lilliput McHammersmith

Logical fallacy where?

Claim from fork: people want to shut down opposing opinions
Me: your opinion just isn't popular
You: Truth isn't a popularity contest
Me: :roll:

I never claimed anything about the game's name. Yeah it totally is a PR stunt. Larian is not perfect, in my book. I have only thoroughly enjoyed one of their games. At best, I would say I'm cautiously optimistic, but I am getting more and more excited about BG3, primarily because it is TB, set in Forgotten Realms, and has multiclassing. All great points for me.
Fair enough. Thought that you were likewise acknowledging the validity of the naming by way of an argumentum ad populum in your reply to fork.
No I think naming it BG3 is dumb, but I also don't care that much. Even the originally planned BG3 (Black Hound) was not going to continue the Bhaalspawn saga. That story is over. But there are plenty of sequentially numbered sequels to games that have little, if anything, in common with the first games. Final Fantasy is a prime example. It's not really that big a deal.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No I think naming it BG3 is dumb, but I also don't care that much. Even the originally planned BG3 (Black Hound) was not going to continue the Bhaalspawn saga. That story is over. But there are plenty of sequentially numbered sequels to games that have little, if anything, in common with the first games. Final Fantasy is a prime example. It's not really that big a deal.
FF X isn't sequel to FF IX, it's a brand.
Sequels are numbered FF XIII-2, FXIII-3 (aka LR).

Codex Year of the Donut
Why pay money for making a game in certain setting, when they could make game in theirs own setting for free?

The funny thing is Larian was able to create its own stories, and somewhat playable games. D:OS2 was too much rehash, too many cameos and elves were not elves. But, frankly definitive edition, it was decent. (Or if you got it for free, and had no reason to complain for decent non crashing game. They removed the non crashing part in last patch, thus your mileage would differ until they repair it.)
What makes you think they're paying to license the IP?

DnD has had a massive resurgence in the past years.
It might have, but it's all relative. pnp RPGs are a tiny niche hobby, there's a tendency on the codex to vastly overestimate how many people play(and especially spend money on) pnp RPGs.
ICv2 estimated US/Canada tabletop RPG sales amounted to $55 million in 2017. You have video games like Witcher 3 that have higher annual sales than the entire pnp RPG market.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

DnD has had a massive resurgence in the past years. It's becoming, arguably has become already, a normie / socially accepted hobby, in no small parts due to Critical Role IMO. DnD 5E, the most widespread edition and the one that this game is using as its ruleset is based in the Forgotten Realms.
Yea, critical role really helped. (Voice actors can both deliver proper presentation, and it's nice relaxation for them from theirs normal jobs.)

But main problem of any PnP RPG is an ability to invent and deliver proper stories. It's not entertainment for masses, because a lot of people have problems to make something creative. And when people can do that, they don't buy source books, they create homebrew for free and or copy sourcebooks from internet.

Basically it's an example of teach man fishing, and you ruin fishmarket.
1) Nostalgia bait for oldfags that will inevitably try out the game to scratch the BG itch (it probably won't but eh)
2) Lariandrones that will eat this shit up as was stated above
3) People that play DnD but don't play videogames but will end up trying this one out because "it's just like the tabletop"

Overall tying their name to DnD and the Forgotten Realms is a pretty smart business decision. You get a huge pool of potential customers this way
PC gamers are bit different from Star Wars fans, they wanna new fresh playable game, not live in past. But from I saw, the reaction of SW fans on last three movies was really bad, and some twitch streamers who are SW fans were bitching about the disaster that were these last three movies even this month.

Making sequels of decade old game can backfire from both directions. New players can see it too outdated with boring story, and old 100 die hard fans would BITCH about menu on wrong side of screen.

What makes you think they're paying to license the IP?
Because they are living in a hard cruel capitalism.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Presumably Wizards of the Coast will earn royalties from the game's sales. I'm fairly certain that Larian didn't pay them up front, that's not how these licensing deals typically work.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Presumably Wizards of the Coast will earn royalties from the game's sales. I'm fairly certain that Larian didn't pay them up front, that's not how these licensing deals typically work.
D&D videogames are in such a sad state that even a deal without royalties or other forms of payment would be advantageous to WotC. Hell, in their position, I would even consider paying Larian to make this game if necessary.

Vatnik Wumao
D&D videogames are in such a sad state that even a deal without royalties or other forms or payments would be advantageous to WotC. Hell, in their position, I would even consider paying Larian to make this game if necessary.
Wouldn't help them much. Traditional RPGs are a dying hobby.

Lilliput McHammersmith

That you're not ashamed of yourself shilling for a shitty "DOS2-Baldur's Gate Edition" is beyond my imagination.

They should have called it Divinity Original Sin 3: Faggots of the Underdark instead of abusing the shit out of the Baldur's Gate name.
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Can you at least come up with something original? The D:OS3 jokes were stale by like the second day of the announcement.

Goldschmidt

Learned
That you're not ashamed of yourself shilling for a shitty "DOS2-Baldur's Gate Edition" is beyond my imagination.

They should have called it Divinity Original Sin 3: Faggots of the Underdark instead of abusing the shit out of the Baldur's Gate name.
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Can you at least come up with something original? The D:OS3 jokes were stale by like the second day of the announcement.

The only people hyping up this game are the typical Larian fanbase who immensily enjoyed Divinity Original Sin. If on the other hand you loved Baldur's Gate, you got nothing to look forward to with this unwanted sequel.

Hence me calling it DOS 3 wasnot meant as a joke but a sore reality hurting us all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The only people hyping up this game are the typical Larian fanbase who immensily enjoyed Divinity Original Sin. If on the other hand you loved Baldur's Gate, you got nothing to look forward to with this unwanted sequel.
I haven't immensely enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin and Baldur's Gate is one of my favorite games, yet I'm immensely hyped up for this game. What do we do now?

Lilliput McHammersmith

I haven't immensely enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin and Baldur's Gate is one of my favorite games, yet I'm immensely hyped up for this game. What do we do now?
Haha I was just about to say the exact same thing!

I do like D:OS2, but I do find it inferior to many other RPGs I have played, including BG1&2.

Lilliput McHammersmith

What redeeming qualities could DOS 3 have if you enjoyed Baldur's Gate? You seem like a paradox of nature.
  • D&D Ruleset
  • Multi-classing
  • Party-based
  • Tactical Combat
  • The Sword Coast
  • Sprawling Adventure
  • NPC Interactions (seems iffy, based on previous Larian games)
  • Forgotten Realms
  • Mind Flayers

Elex

Arbiter

What redeeming qualities could DOS 3 have if you enjoyed Baldur's Gate? You seem like a paradox of nature.
No shitty armor sistem, no shitty random items, no shitty exponential stats grow.
less barrels, enviromental effect more limited(pretty much fire and smoke).

Lilliput McHammersmith

No shitty armor sistem, no shitty random items, no shitty exponential stats grow.
less barrels, enviromental effect more limited(pretty much fire and smoke).

And while all of that was annoying, my biggest gripe with D:OS2 was the classless system. Fallout and Underrail have amazing classless systems. I despise D:OS2's.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Fair enough, I'm too drunk to read that fanboy drivel for a second time right now, but I know that every post critical of the game is being downvoted to hell, however reasonable the post is. You fanboy fuckers even invaded the BG3-hate thread (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and downvote every "BG3-hater" there.

Don't be jealous of Ontopoly, it's clear you are also very talented so we at Larian will also hire you as a toilet cleaner.

Kitchen Utensil

Fair enough, I'm too drunk to read that fanboy drivel for a second time right now, but I know that every post critical of the game is being downvoted to hell, however reasonable the post is. You fanboy fuckers even invaded the BG3-hate thread (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and downvote every "BG3-hater" there.

Don't be jealous of Ontopoly, it's clear you are also very talented so we at Larian will also hire you as a toilet cleaner.

Wishful thinking, which is what everyone with even half a brain can agree is all that you're posting here, isn't that convincing, you know? So you can kindly suck my dick, newfag losér.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom