Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
The only thing more embarrassing than crying about women being in the pictures is crying that that there are too many white people in the pictures. Talk about lack of self-awareness.

Maybe if your 'diversity' agenda wasn't so fucking cringeworthy and blatantly politically-driven, less people would have a problem with it, you dumbfucks.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only thing more embarrassing than crying about women being in the pictures is crying that that there are too many white people in the pictures. Talk about lack of self-awareness.

Maybe if your 'diversity' agenda wasn't so fucking cringeworthy and blatantly politically-driven, less people would have a problem with it, you dumbfucks.
I demand a perfect balance of east-asian men and white men with zero women in my developer photos

Yosharian

Arcane
The art in those pictures is bland as fuck. I didn't even notice there were a lot of women.
22636.jpg

Cael

Arcane
The art in those pictures is bland as fuck. I didn't even notice there were a lot of women.
That is because any wymmyn that has trained herself to be able to match equally trained males in physical combat is going to have some rather unfeminine characteristics...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly I don't really understand the point of making "Baldur's Gate 3" at this point. That ship has sailed long ago and since they're using the new ruleset and it's set like 100 years after the originals and probably will have very little connection with them, why not just do a completely new D&D game? Or something else entirely. Larian has their Original Sins now and a lot of people like them so just make a new one.

Making a sequel to a 20 year old series that not that many people know about will leave most modern gamers indifferent (or rather, as excited as they would have been for any other new Larian game) while the fanboys of the original games will want to burn Larian at the stake for making even the slightest changes to the formula even if said changes are objectively good.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with but I'm kinda expecting something on the level of Dragon Age that was also supposed to be the "new Baldur's Gate" n shiet but ended up pretty mediocre.
Like I said some time ago:

It's a mistake for you to think of this upcoming game, if it is even coming, as of a Baldur's Gate III. It's been 17 years. Different people will make a different game for a different audience. And yes, probably slap a "Baldur's Gate III" logo to it, but what does that change? It won't give you 15 years back.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The amount of hype already generated, game media articles, clicks, forums posts and all this shit - is the reason why its used and why that name has weight.
Even after several games already leached on its fame. But it survived because those couldnt get the name and the setting.

Last of the nostalgia projects to ruin.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, duh, when they start pissing in your soup and shitting in your cornflakes, they are bound to get a lot of forum posts. If it wasn't BG, who cares, but this is bordering on blasphemy.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I unironically like Dorn. His quests were quite good. They were challenging and had nice rewards.

I've always defended Dorn, at least his BG1 version, I haven't played BG2 EE yet, if ever. His quest makes sense and his characterization isn't cringe, unlike Neera and Rasaad. He fits nice in an evil party and he isn't psychotic. He is indeed overpowered for BG1, though, which rustles a lot of people's jimmies.

Yosharian

Arcane
I unironically like Dorn. His quests were quite good. They were challenging and had nice rewards.

I've always defended Dorn, at least his BG1 version, I haven't played BG2 EE yet, if ever. His quest makes sense and his characterization isn't cringe, unlike Neera and Rasaad. He fits nice in an evil party and he isn't psychotic. He is indeed overpowered for BG1, though, which rustles a lot of people's jimmies.
Meh, Dorn just rubbed me the wrong way. So to speak.

Thonius

Arcane
Have they said anything about how many companions there will be in the game? I believe one of the interviews implied a party size of six, but if the game ends up only having 4-6 NPC companions to choose from (Like in Original Sin 1 and 2) I feel that a lot of the potential for interactions between the different characters will be lost.
Swen attended some conference I don't remember the specific details about at Pax and mentioned that in their next game (which we now know is BG3) they'd be focusing more on 'character relationships' since they were mostly absent in OS2. I'm just concerned that this means they'll reduce the amount of companions to make up for an increased amount of character lines, interactions, dialogue options and other things that will increase the time and resources required to add voice overs to everything.
It will be MMO Style adventure, Imagine Fallout 3 but with companions controlled by people online! Imagine all the rich discussion you will have!" I fucked your mom!" "No I fucked yours!"RICH STORY!
And that way they don't have to write dialog for companions! All around profit and incline!

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I guess that the right compassion would be Pillars of Eternity since it also was a "Spiritual successor" of BG.
Uncharted was a succesor to Tomb Raider and in the end new Tomb Raider copied heavily from it. It's happening all over again, Baldur's Gate will try to be more like Pillars of Eternity, beceause that's what people expect.
:deathclaw:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Oh, and one more piece of information about the current canon. "Heroes of Baldur's Gate", which was released more recently than "A Murder in Baldur's Gate", only refer to CHARNAME as "Gorion's Ward". This makes me stick even more to my theory that a slow, creeping retcon is taking place.

Back to a custom character, you mean? I thought Abdel was now the canoncharacter, that brought Bhaal back?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Fun Fact: Josh Sawyer said, that according to his data, Divinity: OS has never been a threat to Pillars of Eternity, beceause only small amount of players played both these games.
As PoE was supposed to be new Baldur's gate, it means that people who play Larian games are not the people who like Baldur's-like games. It makes this situation a bit scary, beceause they either make BE 3 with their Divinity games experience, thus making it unlikeable to original Baldur's fans, or they try to make an acutal Baldur's Gate 3, but this way they will lose their Divinity playerbase.
This drama is going to be glorious.
:dealwithit:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guise it's gonna use the Electron Engine. I hear they fixed the camera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom