Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
All I'm saying that without ANY information

This is exactly my point, you have information. You just don't like what it indicates.
We have information, you just decide to ignore it.
There are no clear cut information. We have basically nothing which you extrapolate and make up shit that this will be Mass Effect or DA: Inquisition.

What you have to understand is that just like in the modern, civilised world the principle of innocent until proven guilty helps to prevent illicit suffering of innocents, in the case of modern, popamole Role-playing games the principle of shit until proven otherwise serves the same noble purpose.

Suicidal

Arcane
Honestly I don't really understand the point of making "Baldur's Gate 3" at this point. That ship has sailed long ago and since they're using the new ruleset and it's set like 100 years after the originals and probably will have very little connection with them, why not just do a completely new D&D game? Or something else entirely. Larian has their Original Sins now and a lot of people like them so just make a new one.

Making a sequel to a 20 year old series that not that many people know about will leave most modern gamers indifferent (or rather, as excited as they would have been for any other new Larian game) while the fanboys of the original games will want to burn Larian at the stake for making even the slightest changes to the formula even if said changes are objectively good.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with but I'm kinda expecting something on the level of Dragon Age that was also supposed to be the "new Baldur's Gate" n shiet but ended up pretty mediocre.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Honestly I don't really understand the point of making "Baldur's Gate 3" at this point. That ship has sailed long ago and since they're using the new ruleset and it's set like 100 years after the originals and probably will have very little connection with them, why not just do a completely new D&D game? Or something else entirely. Larian has their Original Sins now and a lot of people like them so just make a new one.

Making a sequel to a 20 year old series that not that many people know about will leave most modern gamers indifferent (or rather, as excited as they would have been for any other new Larian game) while the fanboys of the original games will want to burn Larian at the stake for making even the slightest changes to the formula even if said changes are objectively good.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with but I'm kinda expecting something on the level of Dragon Age that was also supposed to be the "new Baldur's Gate" n shiet but ended up pretty mediocre.
Old news. It’s for brand recognition and WOTC probably did it for money, which isn’t surprising.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Nioh on Nvidia's streaming service more or less successfully, so something along the lines of Skyrim should be wholly unproblematic.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Seems unlikely to be an action game if it's going to be a Stadia flagship title. Input lag doesn't go well with reflex gameplay.

Have you tried Stadia? From what I've heard, the input lag is not too bad, i wouldn't want to play competitive CS on it but for your run of the mill action game it will probably be just fine.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently I've been living under a rock for the last week. But of course only a week is enough for a 76-pages thread...

Hmmm lots of reasons to be either hopeful or depressed on this one.

Good omens:
-Larian is the most succesful TB & party-based RPG studio in the recent years, one would expect WotC to pick them based on that.
-They haven't said anything yet about action or TB. Normally in the minds of the suits, and since the days of Diablo, real time = larger playerbase & more money, so if they stay quiet about it it could be a good sign.
-WotC already fucked it up with Sword Coast Legends. I'm not sure humans can learn from mistakes but I doubt it'll be *that* terrible. They probably know they won't get many more chances to establish a solid cRPG franchise that bridges across the next generation of players.
-No crowdfunding or stretch goals insanity.

Bad omens:
-5e is a bitch of a system to implement a cRPG. Lots of dice mechanics that are very fun on a table, make little sense on a cRPG. Many ways to interrupt the turn to decide a roll is affected. And overall emphasis on narrative and QoL over mechanics. It will never be implemented like AD&D or 3.5e was, it *will* require heavy alterations.
-... which leads to things like this:

You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does.

If you remove the hit-miss mechanics, is it still D&D? I mean, I hate to miss too, but with statements like this we no longer know what to expect, while on all previous D&D games we more or less knew how the system worked. What else can cause negative reviews and will therefore be removed? Spell Slots? Having low saving throws? Once you accept the core mechanics can be questioned, it's no longer a D&D game -for good or ill-.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is supposed to be at the E3 PC show, right? Do we think they will show something other than the teaser trailer?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I wish we would just know what style it’s in. Isometric, Dragon-Age Esque? It’s a simple fucking question I don’t see how it will spoil everything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah don't worry guys. Baldur's Gate III seems like the most important thing in the world right now but in just two days we're going to have Cyberpunk 2077, Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 trailers to obsess about. The day after that, Bloodlines 2 gameplay footage.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Sawyer reads this thread for sure

Indeed, if everyone was excited about it then it would've been perfectly fine and reasonable.

But this is the "genres are social constructs defined by the current year" Sawyer who at the same time is also butthurt that he can't make games that are not RPGs but call them RPGs because some people actually expect an RPG when they buy an RPG.

Yeah, we get it, bro, people expressing opinions about games is bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's an official Baldur's Gate 3 forum? The Larian forums don't have one: http://forums.larian.com/
Steam forum

Yup:

D8faz96UYAAdgeR

lol

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I'm sorry guys I didn't mean any of it.

"I can't find my character" turn based fans are not low IQ, stupid, and possibly handicapped, you are all very intelligent, sensitive, able bodied souls that deserve respect and adulation and my cruel, careless words were chosen poorly.

Larian fans are also very precious and valuable individuals and the direction Larian has taken throughout their existence to satisfy these star children can only be described as "visionary". Original Sin was a masterpiece blend of tactical perfection and the kind of literary genius that puts Tolstoy or Dickens to shame.

A thousand years from now they'll be talking about it in universities side by side with the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nah the Kingmaker community forum is official BG3 forum the thread there is almost 300 posts already.

The tumblre gal Jaysie is now arguing with grognards over RNG vs Determenistic

They all don't know it will be real time dragon age and visceral as awesome button.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if this interview with Sven and "Dungeons & Dragons' Mike Mearls" has been shared in here:

I might be naive but I certainly do not get the feeling they will go with a "lightweight", action-y approach. On the contrary I fail to see how all these promises of deep, open ended systems could translate into something like that. Gave me positive vibes in any case

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom