Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Reinhardt

Arcane
are monkbros fucked? tried monkeh and compared to "ROAR!" and "ME SMASH!" barb there is literally nothing monkeh can do.

Gradenmayer

Learned
are monkbros fucked? tried monkeh and compared to "ROAR!" and "ME SMASH!" barb there is literally nothing monkeh can do.
They are kinda broken after you get a subclass. Especially open hand monks.

You can even combine them with Barb if you take Brawler feat and get a couple of items. They get unique melee animation in rage where you do an overhead with both hands .

Nigh unkillable combination.

Reinhardt

Arcane

You can even combine them with Barb if you take Brawler feat and get a couple of items. They get unique melee animation in rage where you do an overhead with both hands .

i'm asking about checks.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
also is there anything good in all those tiiiiiiight crevices i can't enter?

According to someone who play a druid (I think whydoibother), there is some nice stuff you only get if you morph into small animals and explore them. Still not enough to make me want to play a druid, but YMMV

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I haven’t used monks, but you fight some at the end of act 2 and that really made me want to try them. By far the strongest basic enemies I’ve encountered

Gradenmayer

Learned

i'm asking about checks.
Not a lot of them in act 1, more in later acts, but less than Barb overall.

Out of the 5 classes I have on my class monkey character- Bard gets the most checks, followed by Barbarian and Druid (early into act 2 tho)

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm a monk and the dialogue checks are almost universally gay. There's a particularly bad one with a shopkeeper or smth in that village outside Baldur's Gate where you say some mind-rotting shit like "[MONK] A tranquil mind must be at rest" and they say "ah, one of those stoic types, are you?". Echoes of Fallout 3's "[Intelligence] I'm intelligent" "hm, you seem intelligent" nightmares.

There's a couple cool ones about having self-control and mental discipline though, there was one somewhere in I think act 2 where you can invoke [MONK] to avoid getting brainwashed or some shit.

A lot of monk checks seem to get paired with deception or intimidation as well, which is kind of weird for RP purposes if you were going for someone who's all honest and calm and such.

muckguppy

Prophet
I said I didn't like it because the story gets progressively shittier, gameplay wise it's very good ... But it turns into a buggy mess in the third act I have to say.

Idk. gortash is a faggot and I wish they didn't go so overboard on the exposition storydumps.

Yeah I've played it a lot to have a negative opinion but suck my dick

Lemming42

Arcane
By the way, does anyone know if there's a meaningful difference between persuasion and intimidation on occasions where you're offered both checks? I tend to try and go for persuasion for RP purposes, but the thought occurs that the outcomes of both are typically exactly the same. Same for deception on occasions where it's offered alongside the others, I think?

Reinhardt

Arcane
By the way, does anyone know if there's a meaningful difference between persuasion and intimidation on occasions where you're offered both checks? I tend to try and go for persuasion for RP purposes, but the thought occurs that the outcomes of both are typically exactly the same. Same for deception on occasions where it's offered alongside the others, I think?
by intimidating locals you establish your superiority, trying to persuade them you admit you are not their better.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a question about Waukeen's Rest and the Toll Collector's office. They seem pretty disconnected from the rest of the 1st map's story, and I'm constantly feeling like I've stumbled into some place that I have no business being in.

The other sections of the 1st map all warrant my presence in some way, because some quest sends me there. But in the area north of the blighted village, everything feels like its own story, separate from the rest.

It's also self-contained when it comes to quests and locations, everything you are asked to do in that northern area only happens there.

It also made an impression on me that some of the more annoying Wokeshit with gender and race-swapped paladins and guards happens there. The fact it made an impression on me is still a good sign, meaning there isn't much of that shit elsewhere.

Does it feel the same to you, and what's your theory on why it's like that? Rushed development of this part of the map, different designers?
No one to comment on this? It can't be just me.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I have a question about Waukeen's Rest and the Toll Collector's office. They seem pretty disconnected from the rest of the 1st map's story, and I'm constantly feeling like I've stumbled into some place that I have no business being in.

The other sections of the 1st map all warrant my presence in some way, because some quest sends me there. But in the area north of the blighted village, everything feels like its own story, separate from the rest.

It's also self-contained when it comes to quests and locations, everything you in that northern area only happens there.

It also made an impression on me that some of the more annoying Wokeshit with gender and race-swapped paladins and guards happens there. The fact it made an impression on me is still a good sign, meaning there isn't much of that shit elsewhere.

Does it feel the same to you, and what's your theory on why it's like that? Rushed development of this part of the map, different designers?
nigga was killed by gobbos. gud enough for me.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In case of RPG releases we have maybe Rogue Trader upcoming, and it is not a "heavy RPG", more like a tactical combat with RPG elements and dialogues.

How so? I don't think most people would agree with this. What's your definition of "heavy RPG"?
I simply define what serves what - RPG elements serve to be beter in tactical combat or tactical combat serves RPG elements- for example when you fail diplomacy\trickery\intimidation and other checks that allow you to avoid combat entirely.

Gradenmayer

Learned
I'm a monk and the dialogue checks are almost universally gay. There's a particularly bad one with a shopkeeper or smth in that village outside Baldur's Gate where you say some mind-rotting shit like "[MONK] A tranquil mind must be at rest" and they say "ah, one of those stoic types, are you?". Echoes of Fallout 3's "[Intelligence] I'm intelligent" "hm, you seem intelligent" nightmares.

There's a couple cool ones about having self-control and mental discipline though, there was one somewhere in I think act 2 where you can invoke [MONK] to avoid getting brainwashed or some shit.

A lot of monk checks seem to get paired with deception or intimidation as well, which is kind of weird for RP purposes if you were going for someone who's all honest and calm and such.
Deception is probably for shadow monk enjoyers.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
i heard people bitching the game was slow on nu-shit like 4000 series Nvidia cards.
A lot of guys who buy newer cards freak out every time the framerate in a game drops below 100 fps and keep a framerate counter on screen just to bitch about it online.

Bro everything under 60 100 240 fps is LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE <- this is what shitlennials actually believe.

I guess if you were actually born after the 90% of gaming history where 30 fps was considered butter smooth, and no monitors could even go above 60, you might think that.
Okay grandpa, we know your eyes hurt if you cannot have your cinematic 24fps experience.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
They made it obvious in this game that a dialogue choice is going to be gay. If you can’t tell the difference…you are gay.
I think a big problem is that most of the codex are autsists and they have no real life social experience, so I understand many don't understand what's happening.

Sad! Many such cases on the codex.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just realised what these huge hype-related sales mean for CRPGs, for 3-4 years...

The way that trend chasing works in gaming, just like Hollywood when it puts out movie clones, means we are going to suddenly get some extra turn-based CRPGs put into development for a few years, by publishers who want to chase Baldur's Gate III in clones. They will probably learn all the wrong lessons, but it should at least give the Codex more to talk about.
Already posted earlier in the thread. They will 100% learn the wrong lesson. Expect a slew of demonic/lizard waifu simulators with realistic genital options.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They made it obvious in this game that a dialogue choice is going to be gay. If you can’t tell the difference…you are gay.

Mostly, yes I'd agree with you. But no one saw that Gayl one coming.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been seeing a lot of "when you land an unarmed attack" effects on items. Also a few "while you aren't wearing armor or shield" effects.
So maybe monk scales with gear, ironically given its reputation for gear independence.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

It's also self-contained when it comes to quests and locations, everything you in that northern area only happens there.

nigga was killed by gobbos. gud enough for me.
WR has some stuff later on with the Duke, and also the whole Zentarim questline, which is really good for rogues. The toll collector's office seems a bit different from early access. I think exploring it was a way to tell that the paladins were evil. Maybe it still is. I just used speak to the dead for it though. So it's connected to Karlach.

RegionalHobo

Scholar

no, monk has some of the best itens in the game and clothing type of armor overall is bonkers in this game. that said barbarians are ultra broken so there s that

in other news i started playing as a party of three and yurgir is a damm good fight

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Waukeen's Rest and the Toll Collector's were probably changed/added later, because they are the quest zones for Wyll and Karlach's personal quests, and those two were changed/added later themselves.
Honestly Wyll and Karlach could've been DLC characters, with how relevant they are to the main plot (from what I've seen). Smaller stakes, more individualized, separated from the rest. Maybe they were changed/added after everyone complained during early access that the entire party is made up of evil cryptic assholes.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I just realised what these huge hype-related sales mean for CRPGs, for 3-4 years...

The way that trend chasing works in gaming, just like Hollywood when it puts out movie clones, means we are going to suddenly get some extra turn-based CRPGs put into development for a few years, by publishers who want to chase Baldur's Gate III in clones. They will probably learn all the wrong lessons, but it should at least give the Codex more to talk about.
Already posted earlier in the thread. They will 100% learn the wrong lesson. Expect a slew of demonic/lizard waifu simulators with realistic genital options.
Another irony is that if EA, say, wanted to chase this trend, they would probably comission BioWare, likewise Microsoft Obsidian.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom