Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

I'm interested too. Larian promised to do it, or you're hoping for a mod?
All the "difficulty enhancement" that are currently available only in Honor mode (Legendary actions and so on) are supposed to become selectable options in "Custom mode" when Patch 7 drops.
Which should be in September.

That should be also when "official mod support" is introduced, but the exact benefits of it are still unclear, in the end.

Barbarian

Arcane
That's one problem. The other problem can be described like this: assume you have two tiers of spells - tier 1 with the most useful spells and tier 2 with less useful spells. Without concentration, you'd naturally cast the most useful spells first and then consider whether you need to cast the less useful spells on top. With concentration, you suddenly cannot cast tier 2 spells on top of tier 1 spells and the result is such that tier 2 spells will never get cast or will be cast in extremely limited niche scenarios.
Because the point, BY DESIGN, is precisely that you are supposed to pick the ONE concentration spell that you consider situationally more useful and then everything else you cast (with the same character) should be your non-concentration ones.

If you are a cleric, for instance, you'll probably make your initial choice between bless, spirit guardian or Hold person (depending on what spell slots are unspent at that point and what you are facing) and then you are left with guiding bolt, spiritual weapon and whatever else your specific vocation offers.

You are talking as if this was an unintended consequence, when the goal is SPECIFICALLY to not make some synergies too trivially easy to pull off and pile on top of each other.
Sure, you can use Web and Cloudkill together at the price of having two different casters occupying their concentration slot for it, otherwise you'll be content to pick the one you prefer and then use every other spell that doesn't ask for concentration as a requirement.

We could argue that some spells asking for it are highly questionable. (i.e. Hunter mark, which is so core to a hunter? True strike, that already borders on useless even without it? Etc) but as a general design principle it's absolutely solid.

That is exactly it. 5e actually improved this by a lot.

Just think of the owlcuck games for instance(which are based in "not d&d 3.5" pathfinder). In higher difficulties you would spend tedious minutes applying buffs to the whole party. Hardly ever with any strategy or planning involved - just "more buffs better buffs" and they pretty much included these buffs in the balancing for higher difficulties.

Compared to 5e where the concentration limitation actually makes you have to choose - e.g: haste vs hold person vs fire wall - depending on the situation.

Only buffs you will regularly use in this game is one elixir for each character(you are limited to one elixir effect per effect) and either aid or hero's feast. Also mage armor and mirror image on some characters. And that is great. Most of the strategy and preparation is related to positioning, gear and spell book, not mindlessly clicking 2 dozen buffs in your spellbook as in cuckmaker and wotr. The original baldurs gate games didn't fare too well in this department either.

chaplain_crabtree

Barely Literate
On the subject of abuse, I don't know if I should even say that I beat the game.

For most of the tough fights I did this:
- Darkness on my own party, so the AI can't target us, especially the archers
- When it's my turn: step out, throw a spell / shoot an arrow, step back in

It became boring quickly, too.
Sounds boring not just because it's easy but because it's actively tedious to put in practice.
Frankly you have mostly yourself to blame here.

This reminds me of a friend that when The Witcher 3 launched complained that combat was "too easy to exploit", because he could sit on a boulder and shot the crossbow for 20 minutes at wolves.
I mean, yes, you can. And you are also a bona fide retarded if you do, because there are way simpler and more engaging ways to deal with them.

That said, I do think a few more enemies in BG3 should be able to benefit from the ability to see through darkness.
Also, maybe I'm remembering things wrong but in theory in the core ruleset you are supposed to have a penalty to targeting enemies in magical darkness... not to be unable to do it at all.
I believe you can still melee enemies in magical darkness with a penalty.

chaplain_crabtree

Barely Literate
Hardest fight I had was the one against the Sharran temple. Everything else took me a few tries, this one took a few more.
On the subject of abuse, I don't know if I should even say that I beat the game.

You guys were not playing honor mode I reckon. You should try it, it does improve the game a lot.
Can you still experiment with party composition and roleplaying in honor mode or will I need to optimize my party to the point where I can't pick party members I actually like?

Hydro

Educated
I'm interested too. Larian promised to do it, or you're hoping for a mod?
All the "difficulty enhancement" that are currently available only in Honor mode (Legendary actions and so on) are supposed to become selectable options in "Custom mode" when Patch 7 drops.
Which should be in September.

That should be also when "official mod support" is introduced, but the exact benefits of it are still unclear, in the end.
This and the upcoming rimjob animations is the stuff I am so exited about

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Hardest fight I had was the one against the Sharran temple. Everything else took me a few tries, this one took a few more.

You guys were not playing honor mode I reckon. You should try it, it does improve the game a lot.
Can you still experiment with party composition and roleplaying in honor mode or will I need to optimize my party to the point where I can't pick party members I actually like?
There are plenty of viable parties in honor mode. If you build everyone like crap you're in trouble but you have a lot of choices. Definitely don't need 4 full optimal builds. I'd recommend someone with counter spell and good spell DC.

KeAShizuku

Educated
Look yes I played BG2 when I was 15 and yes the Aery romance is pretty cringe but it's nothing compared to BG3 subreddit.

Look yes I played BG2 when I was 15 and yes the Aery romance is pretty cringe but it's nothing compared to BG3 subreddit.
From the Larian forum, again:

Mordred92 said:
To Larian Studios,
I was lucky enough to receive an invitation to try the beta test of patch 7. I admit that one of the first things I did once the patch was installed was to look at the new TAV expressions during kisses with Ascended Astarion.
I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this change. You have no idea how much joy I felt seeing my TAV happy again. Moreover, with these new expressions, I could really appreciate the work that was done on the kissing animations. I couldn't stop kissing Lord Astarion!
The previous expressions had taken away my desire to play, but now I have found the serenity to do so again. I thank you again and again for everything.

This is the last reply out of a 59 pages thread where thirsty autistic goth girls threw a tantrum for weeks because "Ascension Astarion was mean to them and this takes away from their agency over the romance".

The place has a vague semblance of normality up to the early access phase, but now that the fangirls took control of it it's completely insane.

And obviously it's absolutely frowned upon to ever confront them on their being completely mental ( yes, I tried. I was promised a permanent ban at the next offense).

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
The place has a vague semblance of normality up to the early access phase, but now that the fangirls took control of it it's completely insane.

And obviously it's absolutely frowned upon to ever confront them on their being completely mental ( yes, I tried. I was promised a permanent ban at the next offense).
Yeah, the Astarion fangirls are something else. They even have their own weird theory about how Astarion doesn't actually make their spawn into a slave, despite the game outright stating that vampires don't make their slaves into their equals as early as Act 1.

Girls. Sure.
I believe they're women, at least for the most part. It's not like there have never been horny women in RPG fandoms, it's just that the Astarion obsession has escalated to some kind of fever pitch because his stans have all found each other and egg each other on in their echo chambers.

babayaga

Novice
You guys have no clue how many actual women simp for Astarion. Simply go to archiveofourown.org and see how many fanfics there are about him. (It's showing almost 18 000 results and that's A LOT)
BG3 is like a new sims game for them. They can't get enough

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You guys have no clue how many actual women simp for Astarion. Simply go to archiveofourown.org and see how many fanfics there are about him. (It's showing almost 18 000 results and that's A LOT)
They simp specifically because he's a fag. These corrupted, degenerate things think a normal man too boring of a concept, not perverse enough. Fucking western white women. Dogs and faggots, anything less just doesn't cut it anymore. It's like the coomer meme, but for real and worse, way worse.

babayaga

Novice
They simp specifically because he's a fag. These corrupted, degenerate things think a normal man too boring of a concept, not perverse enough. Fucking western white women. Dogs and faggots, anything less just doesn't cut it anymore. It's like the coomer meme, but for real and worse, way worse.
Daddy issues

Barbarian

Arcane
I know wymmin have a fetish for vampires(as well as werewolves, pirates and bick-dicked billionaires).

But flamboyant gay vampires? Are you guys sure these "fangirls" are not actually "fantroons"?

babayaga

Novice
I know wymmin have a fetish for vampires(as well as werewolves, pirates and bick-dicked billionaires).

But flamboyant gay vampires? Are you guys sure these "fangirls" are not actually "fantroons"?
Some def are but there aren't enough troons to write all these fanfics

Barbarian

Arcane

Some def are but there aren't enough troons to write all these fanfics

Isn't half of the zoomer population in the 'kwa "bisexual" already? Lord knows how many genderbenders there now with all the troon fever.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
because you'll only need to defeat a few defenders, having killed the rest of them earlier, group by group. +M
You do that by starting the fights manually? Sounds like meta gaming abuse, in a game that's already so prone to abuse.
Clearing out the tower by this method does not employ any exploits, unlike your darkness strategy, and does not require any metaknowledge; it merely consists of fighting each group of enemies as you encounter them, as you would normally in a dungeon. :M

Old Hans

Arcane
merely consists of fighting each group of enemies as you encounter them
I just was add how much I dislike this system. For instance, showing up to moonrise towers and immediately killing the guards out front and no one ever notices, because no one ever leaves their little engagement bubble

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
merely consists of fighting each group of enemies as you encounter them
I just was add how much I dislike this system. For instance, showing up to moonrise towers and immediately killing the guards out front and no one ever notices, because no one ever leaves their little engagement bubble

As I recall, in one of the early pre-release streams Sven triggered combat and it engaged skeletons/zombies from an entire dungeon and caused a very slowly playing out clusterfuck that he had to reload out of. Unless I'm misremembering, they might have dialled it back because of things like that.

Barbarian

Arcane
I used barrelmancy in my honor mode playthrough sometimes. I mean the game pretty much both supports it and stimulates it - abundance of explosive barrels outside combat areas that you can collect and place around freely with no response from non hostile characters.

Next playthrough I plan to avoid it, and only use it during combat if ever. For both challenge and realism.

It is cheese in the end. Npcs should react to your character openly filling the room with explosive barrels at least.

The original series was guilty of such cheese with rogue traps being extremely powerful, but devs later fixed it by restricting the amount of traps you could place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom