Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 rumoured to be in development

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Oh boy! Another game set in the Bored Coast!

Ryuken

Liturgist
I would have no objection against a 'new start, new storyline' BG3 but a first person view for a partybased combat RPG... it has to work like the M&M or Wizardry games then. If it still is gonna be partybased of course, in these times of RPG franchise raping you never know what new 'open-minded' devs come up with.

Something like a more advanced and detailed TToEE engine would be good yes.

aries202

Erudite
I donnt mind a BG3 game. However, I have had enough of the Sword Coast as setting. There are many interesting places in Faerun in which I would like to see a crpg game take place. That's actually why I like MotB story's since it's set in the land of Thay?

There's also vast major areas out east and in the deep south of Faerun the crpg games haven't touched yet, or just touched superficially. A game, for instance, that took place all the way north e.g. on the northern most islands in the ice way where you could sail a ship or get on a ship that sailed from village to village would be a great idea, imo.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Let's see...the Bhaalspawn saga ended one of three ways: the Bhaalspawn became a good deity and was a force of justice; the Bhaalspawn became an evil god and bitch-slapped Cyric; or the Bhaalspawn declined godhood and retired as one of the most powerful mortals in existence. I don't see any good sequel ideas that would actually benefit from using the plot. I suppose one could come up with some absolutely fucking retarded "You lost all your power type of thing", but that would be a waste of an IP, even more than Fallout 3."

You ASSUME you be playing he same character. Yoiu can have a story tie in to the BG series saga without playing that specific charcter, Dumbcrunchnuts.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elhoim said:
My bet is that it is "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3" the game that it is in development.

You mean Interplay licensed out Dark Alliance?

Could happen. I thought they wanted to do it themselves, but I doubt they got Atari to trust in their developing capacity enough to get the BG license.

ppl, how about remake of first?

edit: you know supar cul remake, like doom

oh man that'd pwn. They probably should include something so that you can do headshots with well-aimed magic spells and shit!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None said:
oh man that'd pwn. They probably should include something so that you can do headshots with well-aimed magic spells and shit!

R00fles :)

Hmm... a story sequel to BG2... yeah, with levels 40 - 60. You will be fighting armies of dragons, smaller gods, and your final battle will be AO, where you can decide to rule the universe, or not... allowing for another title with levels 60 - 80 ;)

Texas Red

Whiner
I like the way of thinking of those "people". They want to make a D&D game because of the popularity of the board games. In a wacky marketing research mix up, they sodomize D&D in to action games because apparently that' what D&Ders are demanding. If its not for the D&D players, then why the fuck do they need the license, and the rules which they don't use, in the first place?

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's being made by Obsidian with Chris Avellone as lead designer and they are using a modified Infinity Engine.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Araanor said:
Stop yammering about "bhaalspawn", the suits never cared for series consistency and the name of the series was pretty arbitrary to begin with. BG2 didn't even feature the city.

No, it wasn't.

As everybody here knows: The 1. game initially shoud've been called "Baldur's Gate: The Iron Throne" and was meant to be the beginning of several adventures (aka modules) in the BG area. Only the success and the fan's reaction to BG1 cynical ending created the the story for pt. 2 (SoA) and 3 (ToB).

axedice

Cipher
Didn't PC Gamer tell the same thing 3 years ago?

Vault Dweller - Sat Aug 21 said:
I picked up PC Gamer today, and although a lot of people already know what the article says, here are some details:

<blockquote>Though BG3 won't be a direct sequel to the storyline of the first two BG games, Atari intends for the game to have similarly epic scope and feature a large gaming world populated by memorable characters.

It will feature cutting-edge 3D graphics, although the gamemakes haven't decided whether to license an existing engine or develop a new one. Atari ambitious design goal is to make a visually stunning RPG that both lives up to BG's great heritage and evolves the genre.

When asked if the follow-up would stick with isometric perspective, John Hight, Atari Executive Producer, indicated that Atari wasn't "afraid to move the camera for cinematic effect. [Your viewpoint] will be immersive then the traditional isometric perspective and bring you closer to the action. You want to see the fear in the orc's eye as you blast him with a fireball, don't you?"

BG3 will use the DnD 3.5 rules for an authentic roleplaying experience.

While there'll naturally be a lot of combat, Atari plans to include a wide variety of quests and incorporate non-combat-oriented skills to give bloodless solutions to some quests

Hight's bottom-line promise: "It will be epic"</blockquote>
Looks like they have no clue what to do with the game other then to make it <b>visually stunning</b> and <b>epic</b>. And, of course, evolve the genre. Poor genre. Hasn't it been evolved enough already?
I guess this epic project turned out to be NWN2 rather than BG3. So are there any solid news about this new rumor from pc gamer? I don't think hasbro will allow it to be made with anything other than the 4th edition. We will see tieflings with a society and fire elementals who die with fire damage. Yay!

fastpunk

Arbiter
jiujitsu said:
It's being made by Obsidian with Chris Avellone as lead designer and they are using a modified Infinity Engine.

That would give me a stiffy. But Chris Avellone working on KotOR3 would give me an even bigger stiffy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Chris Avellone is currently working on 3 games : BG3 . PST2 and KOTOR3... he'll use the same plot idea and graphic engine in all 3 games since time is short.

Texas Red

Whiner
ghostdog said:
Chris Avellone is currently working on 3 games : BG3 . PST2 and KOTOR3... he'll use the same plot idea and graphic engine in all 3 games since time is short.

Not really. He licensed the ToEE engine for all these games.

Aegeri

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
I like the way of thinking of those "people". They want to make a D&D game because of the popularity of the board games. In a wacky marketing research mix up, they sodomize D&D in to action games because apparently that' what D&Ders are demanding. If its not for the D&D players, then why the fuck do they need the license, and the rules which they don't use, in the first place?

For the same reason that someone buys an IP of a turn based game and then completely sodomises it into an FPS game, which sells itself on everything you shoot making big explosions.

Monolith

Prophet
Aegeri said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

For the same reason that someone buys an IP of a turn based game and then completely sodomises it into an FPS game, which sells itself on everything you shoot making big explosions.
Wut? Who would do such a vile thing!? :shock:

Section8

Cipher

Here's the theory. D&D players will buy them because of the name. Probably just to bitch about how something they love was raped. So they're already as good as sold, regardless of what the game is. Other gamers will play this awesome game and love it so much, they'll get a hard on for the D&D name and start buying sourcebooks.

It's not hard for a human to see the fundamental flaws, but that's not how marketing departments roll. There are an awful lot of licensed games out there that are viewed as nothing more than an interactive advertisement for a related product. I worked on a Hot Wheels game once, with budget in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and a price tag of about twenty bucks per unit - all for the purpose of trying to sell more toy cars that cost about a dollar apiece. Go figure.

Azarkon

Arcane
The only company I trust to do this with any sort of resemblance to the old school IE games is Obsidian, but I'm willing to be surprised - if it the rumor is true to begin with.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Obsidian hasn't convinced me yet (though at these grim rpg times they're one of the few hopes) . They have made 2 sequels to 2 Bioware games and they are both unbalanced. Strangely kotor2 was better in the npc character department while nwn2 sucks there big time. I've yet to play motb that seems to be their best release so far. Though I really think that they will be judged when they'll finally release their alien RPG, which will be something of their own entirely and not sequels to other companies games.

With them being a relatively small company I don't think that they'll work on anything anything else before finishing alien , except maybe another nwn2 expansion (which is easy). They should really focus polishing and playtesting alien so that they'll eventually release a stable game without any content being cut due to publishing deadlines.

Mareus

Magister
Edward_R_Murrow said:
The Bhaalspawn saga doesn't have to be over. there's so much that cna be done with it if you use actual imagination.

Let's see...the Bhaalspawn saga ended one of three ways: the Bhaalspawn became a good deity and was a force of justice; the Bhaalspawn became an evil god and bitch-slapped Cyric; or the Bhaalspawn declined godhood and retired as one of the most powerful mortals in existence. I don't see any good sequel ideas that would actually benefit from using the plot. I suppose one could come up with some absolutely fucking retarded "You lost all your power type of thing", but that would be a waste of an IP, even more than Fallout 3.

I know this is an old topic but i was searching for any rumors about BG3 and i stumbled up here. Reading your post just made me want to intervene. What's this crap about Bhallspawn saga is over?? There is so much more you could do with the story if you just use your imagination.

1. As you draw to the end of BG saga you meet Cyric and if you remember correctly he is worried that you will replace him. Here you have great potential for a great plot. Just imagine a war between Gods, ...something God of War has proved can be very interesting. Imagine how deep the story could get when you would see the consequences of your battle for the Throne of Bhall affect millions of people in Fearun, when some of your choices result in the deaths of your old companions. Imagine the possibilities. It could be done in a grand way and it could still be party based. Even your old party members could play an important part in such a game.

2. Multiple endings are no problem. You import your character and continue from there. If you chose to be a mortal and give the power up, the game could explain that the affairs of the Gods caught you up eventually and that you were forced to intervene in the end. If you chose to be a God, the game just continues from there and you could basicly solve the multiple endings with just 2 starting movies. And it doesn't matter if you were good or evil, because the game would still allow you to play it anyway you like.

3. As for those ending short stories that you got when finishing Throne of Bhall, that could also be explained through the story of the whole game. Just use imagination.

So there you have it. I think there is still a lot BG3 could give to the gamers, but i don't believe it could be done by a company who wants to push forward the technology.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
You won't be hearing any new announcements from Obshitian any time soon, except, hopefully, the one of their dissolution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom