Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It doesn't really make much difference and that goes double if you didn't reach the XP cap in BG1, which most people don't.
Weeeeell, I usually hit 161 000k around 1/3 into BG 1, usually after mass genocide of Sword Coast's basilisks solo and cleaning "tower" part of Durlag's Tower.

It could be true for erm... normal people, but I could bet that general level of autism among Codexers is high enough for most people here to have similar experience.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It doesn't really make much difference and that goes double if you didn't reach the XP cap in BG1, which most people don't.
Weeeeell, I usually hit 161 000k around 1/3 into BG 1, usually after mass genocide of Sword Coast's basilisks solo and cleaning "tower" part of Durlag's Tower.

It could be true for erm... normal people, but I could bet that general level of autism among Codexers is high enough for most people here to have similar experience.

I always reach the cap but that's because I have RPG autism. I bet most people will at the max reach 90-100k

Daidre

Arcane
Grinding exp for one character in party game
Grinding means abuse of respawn mechanics. When you deal with something that is supposed to be difficult for party solo it is not grinding. And SCS's basilisks are smart enough not to spam immune target with 0-damage hits.
Same with scroll scribing - it as ok for me as long as you do not use Remove Spell button in spellbook.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I remember Ankhegs always hitting 30+ hitpoints on my fighters so I couldn’t farm them at level 2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What I don't get is why people who abuse obviously unintended mechanics to farm XP don't just cheat instead. It's functionally the same it just saves a bunch of time

Reinhardt

Arcane
What I don't get is why people who abuse obviously unintended mechanics to farm XP don't just cheat instead. It's functionally the same it just saves a bunch of time
They ambush me? Ambush. I kill them fair and square? Yes. Exp is mine.

Daidre

Arcane
I can understanding grinding in blobbers, especially Japanese, for example - it is all they are about. And many JRPG in general are built around same formula: main story + optional hard content that requires a ton of grind.

I rarely grind xp in IE games now, but I remember some some long serious camping sessions in Dragon's Eye caves in IWD and even Planescape's Undersigil.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Parabalus

Arcane
Like Jason says, though, you can have Big Picture manage your install for you if it's updated.

This has now replaced BWS https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ - BWP doesn't work anymore, for the non-EE games you need to do it yourself.

someone already pointed this out, though I didn’t get around to checking BEW yet myself. Is it good?

It works well, maybe even better than BWS. No real reason to not to use it.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's very similar to BWS.

I've used it for an installation that seems pretty solid.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Like Jason says, though, you can have Big Picture manage your install for you if it's updated.

This has now replaced BWS https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ - BWP doesn't work anymore, for the non-EE games you need to do it yourself.

someone already pointed this out, though I didn’t get around to checking BEW yet myself. Is it good?

Nice. Does it always do modmerge tool for you or do you still need to sort out that?

Parabalus

Arcane

Nice. Does it always do modmerge tool for you or do you still need to sort out that?

Does it on its own, dunno what even modmerge is apart from being another Beamdog special.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Should have been "does it automatically". I suppose you still have to use modmerge then

EDIT: nah a few sources online say you don't if you use the install tool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom