Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II Sucks!

PipBoy4000

Novice
Alright, I have been trying to get into some of the RPG classics like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. Since I heard BGII was the shit, I decided to check it out. Whoever said that was fucked in the head!

For one thing, the damn game is just too damn hard! I mean, I ended up having to cheat to get past the battle with the slavers. Second of all, the game is just so damn boring! The main quest, so far, is just to gather a bunch of gold; I mean what kind of shitty-ass quest is that! The first dungeon is pretty fun, but after that the game just takes a nose-dive. Third of all, the game is just damn confusing. What's going on? Who is this "Bhaal" guy? Where is Amn? They don't give much ingame explanation for anything! Do I have to play the first one to know what is going on?!

I just needed to get that off my chest. If you are looking for a good CRPG, look elsewhere.

TNO

Augur
BRO YOURE TOTALLY RIGHT ABOUT FAGGOTS GATE 2. I DONT KNOW WHY SOME PEOPLE LIKE IT BECAUSE ITS OBVIOUSLY SHIT LIKE YOU SAID. I COMPLETED THE CAMPAIGN FIVE TIMES AND EVERY TIME FOUND OUT SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS SHIT ABOUT IT.

SOME PEOPLE THINK FAGGOTS GATE 2 IS THE BEST GAME BIOWARE MADE. THATS LIKE SAYING GETTING GANG RAPED BY TWO PEOPLE IN PRISON IS THE BEST BECAUSE EVERY OTHER NIGHT IT WAS THREE. I THINK THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE FAGGOTS GATE 2 ARE CLOSET CONSOLEFAGS WHO SECRETLY PLAY ALL THE GAMES THEY PRETEND TO HATE AND NOT MAKE IT CLEAR THEYRE DOING IT ONLY TO LET YOU KNOW HOW SHIT IT IS.

THE ONLY RPGS WORTH PLAYING ARE TEXT-BASED (ANY), ARCANUM, PS:T, FALLOUT AND BLOODLINES. LEAVE FAGGOTS GATE TO THE FAGGOTS.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Codex pretty much has convinced me to continue not having touched Baldur's Gate.

I mean, I am a free thinker and all, but obviously I never really had the inclination to play it in the first place, and seeing how much everyone shits on it here like it was the worst thing before Oblivion came, I guess it just seals things to be as they are.

That, and it's a game about teenage kids who pick up swords and run around fantasy lands to avenge their foster father. Fuck that sort of JRPG shit.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Gragt said:
Le fuck? Are you pulling a Wyrmlord?

Oh, it's you!
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but Baldur's Gate is about coming-of-age teenage adolescent adventurer, is it not?

No.

There is nothing "coming-of-age" in it. Not only because the character is already of age when you start, but also because it's modeled after a classic DnD adventure which means you will fight off Gibberlings instead of learning the value of friendship, explore ancient ruins instead of female anatomy, and instead of finding wisdom you'll find Full Metal Plate +1. It's pretty awesome.

As for BG2, you could say it's a game about soul-searching. Except it's REALLY soul-searching - that is, the bad guy literally grabs your soul and takes off.

Andhaira

Arcane
BG II is a fantastic game. Wyrmlord, you have no idea what you are missing. Play it TODAY.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
BG II is a fantastic game. Wyrmlord, you have no idea what you are missing. Play it TODAY.
No damn it, and damn BioWare fans like you. :wink:

Seriously, I have made the mistake of playing two BioWare games - Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. Both are games with terrible pausable real-time combat systems, cheap exploits, unvaried combat situations, and focus on LARPing by talking to premade characters about the value of your friendship.

I will not be the sort of idiot who keeps giving things a new chance despite knowing how terrible the previous experiences were.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Skyway and I don't necessarilly have the same tastes in games, and Skyway is a BG2 fan, so the point is moot.

Now, the game being from the same developer is the turnoff, regardless of whether it came before or after the games of that developer that I have played.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As EmoVamp said, it's not really about the character's coming of age, though he is supposed to be young and inexperienced like so many CRPG protagonists before. BG1 places very little focus on your character and tries to get the game going by weaving a mostly uninteresting tale of conspiracy, though in the end it turns a little around your character. BG2 is much more character centric.

Anyway why should you care for this? Weren't you the one who said not too long ago that story in a video game is like the story in a pr0n movie?

All this talk makes me want to replay BG2.

Multi-headed Cow

What the hell, you haven't played the Baldur's Gate series, Wyrmlord?

Wyrmlord said:
Skyway and I don't necessarilly have the same tastes in games, and Skyway is a BG2 fan, so the point is moot.

That wasn't my point, so your point is moot.

Now, the game being from the same developer is the turnoff, regardless of whether it came before or after the games of that developer that I have played.

And that's exactly your Skywayism. Games are not made by developers. They are made by PEOPLE. Different people will make different games, even if they're in the same company under the same brand. Amazing, huh? Even if they wear same hats! And that's not even going into the genre differencies between BGs and NWN/KOTOR. After all, Tim Cain knows jack shit about RTSes. Probably.

Now, if BGs were released between NWN and KOTOR that argument would hold some merit(But even then they could just be done by a different studio).

If simple logic is not enough for you and you want tangibility, here are credits for BG, here are credits for BG2, here are credits for NWN, and here are credits for KOTOR. Compare to your heart's content.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you don't like the premade characters you can just create a party of your own, IIRC.

Multi-headed Cow

Lockkaliber said:
If you don't like the premade characters you can just create a party of your own, IIRC.
Only if you play a multiplayer game by yourself. Which I wouldn't recommend since there's some good banter in BG2. Take Minsc, Jan, and Korgan. Or hell, Jan and anyone, I just remember some particularly good banter between him and Minsc and Korgan.

Multi-headed Cow

PS: Kill that ogre in the circus tent. It will try to tell you it isn't an ogre, don't listen to it.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The guy doesn't seem to like "LARPing" and seems intent on branding the game as such. If all he wants is good combat encounters (although real-time with paus) he should go for a self-made party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom