Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II Sucks!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
MetalCraze said:
Wyrmlord said:
Skyway is a BG2 fan, so the point is moot.

:shock:
Weren't you defending BG2 once, especially for its graphics?

I was defending BG2 compared to all other crap that Bioware released later - doesn't make me a fan. BG2 indeed had very good areas with great graphics to back them up - Athkatla felt like a real, big fantasy city instead of your usual crap made out of five 1-storey buildings and called a district in a following 3D era. And the overall variety of locations - you had tropics, you had underdark, you had lake areas, you had a proper large castle, you had illithid and beholder lairs, you had well-drawn dungeons with actual traps (they could've been much better though), you had etc etc - and every single one of those areas looked more or less unique. In that regard BG2 felt like a proper DnD adventure.
But then it also has cliche story, characters and typical IE combat.

Quilty

Magister
I want to hate BG2 because of its cliches and combat, but then I see light spilling from an open doorway onto cobblestones and hear the faraway voices of traders hawking their wares, and I get all mushy inside.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
DraQ said:
Jim Cojones said:
I would prefer it to any post 2001 game anytime
Bwuh?
Let me explain:

MetalCraze said:
Wyrmlord said:
Skyway is a BG2 fan, so the point is moot.

:shock:
Jim Cojones said:
It's a great game (currently playing it with BG Trilogy btw - wonderful mod/conversion), Bioware really did added some life to Faerun and Faerun wasn't overused at that time. Yes it's too biowarishly romantic but I would prefer it to any post 2001 game anytime. And also the gameplay seemed more alive because of party members interacting with you and each other.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=470690#470690

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
haha r00fles!

So once skyway was capable of recognizing what an awesome game BG2 was, but then he started craving codex cock and began to shout SHIT on every corner. Sad story.

ravenshrike

Novice
Multi-headed Cow said:
PS: Kill that ogre in the circus tent. It will try to tell you it isn't an ogre, don't listen to it.
Hey now, it's not an ogre, it's a whiny shrill bitch who will dump you for a ponce of a Tiefling. Comparing her to an ogre is an insult to ogres.

Malachi

Liturgist
Thinking back, I remember conversations going something like this ...

(Aerie, sobbing)
"Wings! Once I had wings!
(waves bloody back stumps in your direction)
"Hold me?"

Even though Aerie had the ability to become ridiculously powerful later (because you could do some nasty stuff with combining mage and cleric spells), I couldn't stand bringing her along, let alone as the "romance" option.

So yes, I agree, kill the ogre. It's the humane thing to do.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, it's fun to see how powerful she can be but how emotionally unstable she is, so much that she would fail all of her will saves.

People who whine about Aerie whining are whiners. There was like, five banters with her in entire game(unless you wanted to romance), and in every single one of them you can just tell her to shut up.

So it's a good NPC(a rarity in BG series!) you will not use because, uh, you would need to click "No one cares, let's go" five times in the game?

Tastes like lies.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd take Edwin and Viconia over Aerie any day. At least they aren't annoying.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
seeing how much everyone shits on it here like it was the worst thing before Oblivion came
That's not true. At least 70% of the Codex LOVES BG2.

In fact, if you were to run a poll, you would find that BG2 is the Codex' 4th or 5th most popular RPG of all time.

mountain hare

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
People who whine about Aerie whining are whiners. There was like, five banters with her in entire game(unless you wanted to romance), and in every single one of them you can just tell her to shut up.

Not only that, you can turn her down with some brutal remarks.

Baldur's Gate II is easily the best cRPG of all time.

Balthamael

Liturgist
mountain hare said:

I would hesitate on making this claim. Critical analysis forces me to admit that there are a number of aspects where BG2 simply fails, and there are other games that are better at being cRPGs, whatever that means. Even so, this is the game I have played the most, had the most fun with.

Black

Arcane
mountain hare said:
Emotional Vampire said:

Not only that, you can turn her down with some brutal remarks.

Because it has shitty npcs that you can ignore?
GOTY every year.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I was defending BG2 compared to all other crap that Bioware released later - doesn't make me a fan.
Does giving it the highest score AG forums allow make you one?
metalcraze.png

Never knew you think so highly of NWN, BTW.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
MetalCraze said:
I was defending BG2 compared to all other crap that Bioware released later - doesn't make me a fan.
Does giving it the highest score AG forums allow make you one?
metalcraze.png

Never knew you think so highly of NWN, BTW.
I have no words to describe this.

I have no words to describe this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom