Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II Sucks!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Marcelo21 said:
Center fully buffed party around where he will appear. Set traps where he will appear if you're feeling even cheaper. Hack away. When he transforms turn into the slayer. His final form just spams imprisonment and slayer is immune to it. Beat him senseless and keep your other character at bay so they don't get imprisoned. The end. That twisted rune encounter was much harder.

yes but slayer shapeshift is so...
easiest ways are pro undead scrolls or spell immunity:abjuration.

Marcelo21 said:
Oh the final encounter in ToB with the ascension mod. Fuck that shit the other boss fights with ascension were appropriatly difficult for an experienced power gamer but that last fight was anal, I just cheated to see the end.

Well first time I needed like 16h to win without dead partymembers. but it gets easier with other party members and better tactics. (keldorn,minsc etc really have no good defense in fights like this, arcane casters are better suited to survive)

crufty

Arcane
Code:
    A          B
Daggerfall    BG2 

1. A - B = 0
2. A + B = 0
3. Not enough information to decide.

Hmmm.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Well, technically i am with OP. I really wanted to "get in" the game, I like that its party based, the adventuring has something to it...but but but the problem is combat, especially in DnD setting.

Combat feels chaotic and hard, frustrating at times, because something went wrong in the middle of a fight.

On the other hand i really enjoyed TOEE combat, which feels more rewarding for choosing a right tactic.

relootz

Scholar
AndhairaX said:
BG II is a fantastic game. Wyrmlord, you have no idea what you are missing. Play it TODAY.

There is still hope for u Andhaira!

Multi-headed Cow

Wulfstand said:
Jan tried to take Boo from Minsc, offering some crackers for the little hamster. However, I don't really recall anything between Jan and Korgan
Korgan loved Jan to pieces and enjoyed all his stories. I remember a few times where he would keep egging Jan on to tell more stories, and I think he even backed Jan up during a few of the Boo-stealing banters.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
It's a great game (currently playing it with BG Trilogy btw - wonderful mod/conversion), Bioware really did added some life to Faerun and Faerun wasn't overused at that time. Yes it's too biowarishly romantic but I would prefer it to any post 2001 game anytime. And also the gameplay seemed more alive because of party members interacting with you and each other.

Elzair

Cipher
This guy also apparently cross-posts much of this stuff at the Escapist. This marks the first thread of his that has not been locked (yet) by RPGCodex. It also marks the first thread of his that has been locked by the Escapist.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
This is similiar to going on a metal forum and stating Opeth is Nu metal....too easy trolling.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Marcelo21 said:
Center fully buffed party around where he will appear. Set traps where he will appear if you're feeling even cheaper. Hack away. When he transforms turn into the slayer. His final form just spams imprisonment and slayer is immune to it. Beat him senseless and keep your other character at bay so they don't get imprisoned. The end. That twisted rune encounter was much harder.

yes but slayer shapeshift is so...
easiest ways are pro undead scrolls or spell immunity:abjuration.

No easiest way is buying a protection from magic scroll at adventurer's mart. Unlike spell immunity:abjuration you don't have to worry about it running out before you've killed kangaxx.

But yeah, that's three ways to beat that battle easily. Definitely not even close to the hardest battle in the game. In fact, barely harder than the average lich

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Dajaaj said:
Definitely not even close to the hardest battle in the game. In fact, barely harder than the average lich

Without prior knowledge it is almost impossible to win. Contrary to the liches and even dragons if you're lucky.

Wulfstand said:
Azrael the Cat said:
MOST IMPORTANTLY - great pair of villains. Well trio of villains really, except that Bhaal (not spoiling anything here: by the end of BG1, and hence before the start of BG2, the main character finds out he is a son of the god of murder) works quite subtly in the game, possibly too subtly in that most folk seem to think that it is Irenicus instead.

Nah mate, by the time you get to ch 3 i guess (when you jurney to the Sahuagin City and the rest) it's pretty clear who sends you all the dreams...

Yeah I thought it was reasonaly obvious as well. BUT I've seen a metric fuckton of posts indicating that the poster thought it was Irenicus the entire way. I actually harbour a sneaking suspicion that those posters are largely responsible for the 'must put in MASSIVE HIGHLIGHT AND GREAT LETTERS FLASHING PLOT TWIST HERE! PLOT TWIST HERE!' approach to storytelling that Bioware adopted from that point onwards. It's like they found that moderately obvious wasn't obvious enough for most of their fans, and so they had to spell everything out retard-friendly from that point on.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I really need to replay that game, I can't remember those dreams or those three villains you talked about.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I miss portraits.

2yv01ug.jpg

Jim Cojones said:
Bioware really did added some life to Faerun and Faerun wasn't overused at that time.

IMO they added too much life to Faerun. Almost every location you visited was special, ancient, or epic. After a while it just stops being impressive alltogether.

That's why overall, I preferred BG, it felt much more like a real adventure in a "real" world.

Emotional Vampire said:
Jim Cojones said:
Bioware really did added some life to Faerun and Faerun wasn't overused at that time.

IMO they added too much life to Faerun. Almost every location you visited was special, ancient, or epic. After a while it just stops being impressive alltogether.

That's why overall, I preferred BG, it felt much more like a real adventure in a "real" world.

I prefer that too, not only because micro-managing an epic-level party with every single pen&paper skill and spell included is incredibly tedious, but exactly because of this. BG2 started what became a trademark of pretty much every single Bioware game since, they cut everything happening between the action and streamline their games to a more interactive movie kind of experience. The Sword Coast was there to explore to your heart's content, almost seamlessly - travelling from Candlekeep to the Friendly Arm was actually that, travelling. You never knew what lied ahead, and if anything. There was a sense of place, rather than you clicking from one movie take to the next one.

Aerya

Novice
onemananadhisdroid said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Jim Cojones said:

I prefer that too, not only because micro-managing an epic-level party with every single pen&paper skill and spell included is incredibly tedious, but exactly because of this. BG2 started what became a trademark of pretty much every single Bioware game since, they cut everything happening between the action and streamline their games to a more interactive movie kind of experience. The Sword Coast was there to explore to your heart's content, almost seamlessly - travelling from Candlekeep to the Friendly Arm was actually that, travelling. You never knew what lied ahead, and if anything. There was a sense of place, rather than you clicking from one movie take to the next one.

In a way I agree with you... but in BG2 there is more than traveling... You discover a "romance", some really funny dialogues (get Jaheira, Viconia and (Aerie is optional) in team and you get JEALOUSY verbal fights)...oh... and you can kill Saemon Havarian...
Played BG2 16 times and every time it was different without mods and with mods... the only constant was the "epic" death of Saemon... too bad none made a ballad out of it... :twisted:

P.S . If you want a new game where you explore the map get NWN2 Storm of Zephir

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom