Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
**** Balance. This excessive focus on balance(and accessibility) is why most modern RPG's are trash. And why poe 1/2 is inferior to bg1/2.

Balance is that thing people don't care about until a game is too easy or too hard for their liking (exacerbated to an extreme with high level content).

Wrong. I got my ass kicked when I tried to kill Spawn of Rovagug on PFKM for the first couple of tries, when i tried again with custom made mercenaries, changed all of my memorized spells on my wizard, changed the gear of all of my fighters, took the right strategy and defeated him... Was so amazing. Experiencing moments where you see the bodies hit the floor with a single high level spell and then moments where you have a hard challenge and needs to think a lot is so amazing. Much better than having the same experience for 666 hours.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Experiencing moments where you see the bodies hit the floor with a single high level spell and then moments where you have a hard challenge and needs to think a lot is so amazing. Much better than having the same experience for 666 hours.

No one advocates for "everything is the same level of difficulty all the time" it's avoiding both "everything is easy all the time" and "90% of players are brickwalled"

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Experiencing moments where you see the bodies hit the floor with a single high level spell and then moments where you have a hard challenge and needs to think a lot is so amazing. Much better than having the same experience for 666 hours.

No one advocates for "everything is the same level of difficulty all the time" it's avoiding both "everything is easy all the time" and "90% of players are brickwalled"

Which game with high level gameplay has this problem? Easy every time or insanely impossible every time?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
LoL the last chapter of Kingmaker was really bad. Also have no idea what do you mean by hard enemies,a well build party could cleave trough them like hot knife trough butter. Only the final boss could be a bit of a challenge.....and swarm spiders :).
Most people don't have well built parties. And if you look at a majority of complaints it's about enemy variety and mostly difficulty. You can find countless people talking about this. Most people don't go on the codex and read builds or know shit about Pathfinder.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Suddenly all of the Larian cultists praising the game for low level dnd will be fine with a higher level cap. Anything Larian gives, we will take sitting down. No problem. Larian only makes good decisions and no bad decisions according to these people.
You know,

"Ah, a level cap. Fine, I don't care"

and

"Ah, no level cap. Fine, I don't care"

aren't two mutually exclusive stances.

Elex

Arbiter
yhihpeanvce51.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL the last chapter of Kingmaker was really bad. Also have no idea what do you mean by hard enemies,a well build party could cleave trough them like hot knife trough butter. Only the final boss could be a bit of a challenge.....and swarm spiders :).
Most people don't have well built parties. And if you look at a majority of complaints it's about enemy variety and mostly difficulty. You can find countless people talking about this. Most people don't go on the codex and read builds or know shit about Pathfinder.
Don't care about most people,care only for the opinion of codexers....to an extend. If you can't build good party by that point,i would recommend trying out minecfrat. Also what kind of retard will complain about difficulty when you have like 30 difficulty options to twitch in mid gameplay?!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Which game with high level gameplay has this problem? Easy every time or insanely impossible every time?
All of them. :M

Not truth.

In fact, games with lv cap = 10 or 9 had way more BS. On Temple of elemental evil, you have to survive a fight against a ***** demigod at lv 10. This is far worse than weakening a demigod and having a army of 6 lv 20 party members fighting a weakened demigod on kingmaker. And Dark Sun : Shattered Lands? You need to create a party of Pun Puns because your party capped at lv 9 will have to fight a army of 15th level mobs on final battle. Din't multiclassed? Too bad. And you get to lv cap far before the final battle and then spend hours re trying the final battle.

I don't like games that put balance above fun, immersion and variety. However, say that low level games are better balanced is pure BS.

I will buy the EA for all Codexers who show interest, just to spite that one member.

I have interest.

I mean, BG3 is not my most desirable game. This year, my list of RPG's which I wanna to play are :
  1. By a huge margin, Pathfinder Wrath of The righteous. But seems that it only launches next year.
  2. Cyberpunk 2077
  3. BG3
BG3 is a game which i have moderate interest. Cyberpunk 2077, above average and PF:WoTR is a game which i really must play once before dying. I wanna play it so much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In fact, games with lv cap = 10 or 9 had way more BS. On Temple of elemental evil, you have to survive a fight against a ***** demigod at lv 10.

You can beat Zuggy no problem by using the summons from the skull or alternately go through the ritual to destroy the skull to make her weak enough to not be such a problem. Additionally, you can just not fight her at all and enjoy the ending slides.

And Dark Sun : Shattered Lands? You need to create a party of Pun Puns because your party capped at lv 9 will have to fight a army of 15th level mobs on final battle.

It is true that DS:SL has a problem with being an easy game up until the final battle when the difficulty spikes to an absurd degree.

However, say that low level games are better balanced is pure BS.

No one likes Throne of Bhaal, Mask of the Betrayer is praised for writing but not combat, and Hordes of the Underdark has the advantage of being tuned for a single character plus two AI-controlled companions of their making (and only four possible after the first chapter) but would still likely brickwall most people who played the base campaign.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can beat Zuggy no problem by using the summons from the skull or alternately go through the ritual to destroy the skull to make her weak enough to not be such a problem. Additionally, you can just not fight her at all and enjoy the ending slides.
I think he refers to Iuz. The poor Zuggtmoy is just a demon loser, not a deity.

Codex Year of the Donut
On Temple of elemental evil, you have to survive a fight against a ***** demigod at lv 10. This is far worse than weakening a demigod
Actually, it was meant to be for characters at level 8.
And you realize you're critiquing Gygax here, right?

30187844041.jpg

You realize Zuggtmoy is significantly weakened by destroying the Orb of Golden Death, yes?
Very few parties were actually capable of getting to Zuggtmoy let alone banishing her. It was meant to be dangerous, you were meant to die.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I know, but Zuggy is not only the unique "epic" character which you can fight. You can fight Iuz too... Before you got the elemental planes. And sorry, but I hate gimmicky bosses.

It is true that DS:SL has a problem with being an easy game up until the final battle when the difficulty spikes to an absurd degree.

And ... Is a low level game.

No one likes Throne of Bhaal

Everyone LOVES Shadows of Amn. You can fight Dragons, Liches and other powerful creatures on SoA and start the game at lv 7~10 depending on your class. Throne of Bhaal is good, but is not as SoA not because is epic level but because the WoTC licensing pressures made then rush with ToB to not lose the license and be forced to update to 3E.

ascension which is a mod made by one of BG2 higher ups fixes a lot of problems with ToB.

Hordes of the Underdark has the advantage of being tuned for a single character plus two AI-controlled companions of their making (and only four possible after the first chapter) but would still likely brickwall most people who played the base campaign.

But how you can write a story about a low level guy entering the underdark and dealing with conflict between drow?

And do you really wanna lv 3 guys dealing with Myrkul? You can't have the same quality of writting on MotB for a low level character.

All that low level characters can do is to slay low level kobolds. If youi wanna explore the multiverse of forgotten realms, you need to go at least medium level

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can fight Iuz too... Before you got the elemental planes. And sorry, but I hate gimmicky bosses.

You're not supposed to actually win that fight. It's just a fun thing that can happen (I've never actually seen it happen the two proper times I've gone through ToEE)

And ... Is a low level game.

Shattered Lands was a mess because of SSI's struggles to keep up with changing technology.

Everyone LOVES Shadows of Amn. You can fight Dragons, Liches and other powerful creatures on SoA and start the game at lv 7~10 depending on your class.

BG2 is a mid-level campaign, not high-level. It was an explicit goal that you should never be able to cast a level 9 spell in SoA without using a scroll :M

Throne of Bhaal is good, but is not as SoA not because is epic level but because the WoTC licensing pressures made then rush with ToB to not lose the license and be forced to update to 3E.

ascension which is a mod made by one of BG2 higher ups fixes a lot of problems with ToB.

Gaider acknowleges that his mod would brickwall the majority of players.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG2 is a mid-level campaign, not high-level. It was an explicit goal that you should never be able to cast a level 9 spell in SoA without using a scroll :M

Sorry, but I consider Horrid Wilting a high level spell. I don't consider only when your mage is above lv 18 a high level. IMO 1~7 = low level. 8~15 = mid level and 16 and above, high level. Note that thieves can reach lv 23 on OC... Which is epic level. so yes, IMO SoA is mid to high level. And ToB is high to epic level.

Note that despite the PC not casting this spells, Liches and other enemies can cast. And if you are soloing with ToB installed, you can learn and cast this spells.

After they raising so much money, would they include a option to create my own character?

WoTR kickstarter: 2020
DOS2 kickerstarter: 2015

Yep. However, DOS1 received a lot of praise by game journalists din't launched bugged, and was on consoles.

Larian also has a much longer history and make tons of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom