Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't want no goddamned trannies in my games. Fuck off Beamdog

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
“If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”

“I got to write a little tender, romance-y side quest for Khalid and Jaheira where you could learn a little bit about how their marriage works and how they really feel about each other.”

There’s also four new companions, one of whom is gay, one of whom is bisexual. There’s even a monster companion, a throwback to a Baldur’s Gate II easter egg. But it’s not just about representation for representation’s sake. Beamdog wanted to give players options.

probably old news, but wtf

Cool, not going to buy, not going to play.

Don't reboot a classic franchise only to insert your modern political shit into it.

I can't Brofist yet but here, this one is engraved on a cookie.

Space Insect

Arcane
If these trannies were literally able to become women through magic in the game, why would they ever bring it up? Wouldn't they want to leave their traumatized past of different gender behind?

Durian Eater

Learned
If these trannies were literally able to become women through magic in the game, why would they ever bring it up? Wouldn't they want to leave their traumatized past of different gender behind?

It's not about doing something that makes sense in the context of the gameworld. It's about pushing an agenda in the most clumsy way possible.

Space Insect

Arcane

It's not about doing something that makes sense in the context of the gameworld. It's about pushing an agenda in the most clumsy way possible.
Those two things are different sides of the same coin. If something doesn't make sense but was added for inclusiveness, is that not clumsy? Is it not the pushing of an agenda?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I said it already in the other thread, but the biggest problem with introducing these ideas, is that they're never explored, only thrown in your face, which makes them out of place and ridiculous.

A D&D character who was born a male but has the mind of a female has many ways to become a physical female. The belt as mentioned, as well as plenty of other magical solutions. Even were such options out of the character's ability to obtain, there should at least be a mention, as opposed to acting as though this is our world and such a solution would never be acceptable.
Ah, but then the characters would be embracing cishet oppression by accepting the notion that gender identity is defined by the physical body and by transforming themselves to be in accordance with such a cruel, patriarchal notion. True diversity in gaming requires adding trans characters who have no desire to change their physical form, throw their identity in your face, and cannot be responded to negatively.

A user named cat

Here I thought Beamdog sucked for milking a dead franchise and selling awful graphic "enhancements" of games that were fine as is, but I didn't realize they're full blown SJW too. Way to shoehorn your progressive bullshit into games and hire writers who whine about video game misogyny. This SJW nonsense is infesting everything nowadays. I expect their next BG installment to have Tumblr features. Beambog finally create an original game and it's Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Sheman. Figures.

Mustawd

I'm 100% pro LGBT SJW shit IRL. But forcing it in the middle of a decade+ year old game series? That's called fucking tacky.

EDIT: And I don't even like the RTwP BS of the BG series....

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No way, man, this is open declaration of war. Look, I am not naive in the ways of doing business. I just thought that most of the mid-level RPG companies were friends with each other and they didn't pull shit like this. Guess I was wrong.

Well it's gonna cost him at least a little bit because he just guaranteed I'm never buying DOS.

edit:

probably old news, but wtf

nvm

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After reading these enlightening posts in this thread, I cannot help but feel:

about the game and the company in general.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Checked the thread looking for impressions about the game. Got a few pages of excitement over trannies instead.

Hehe, it's not that bad. Just a disappointing touch that no game is safe anymore. I'm enjoying the expansion. It is exciting to play another chapter in the Baldur's Gate saga.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
One thing that amazes me is that despite all the helper features they added, they didn't implement spell range/area overlay, something that would have actually been useful.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Pfff thank god they didn't. It would've probably been the last drop for me and I wouldn't even play it.

I love what they have done with Siege of Dragonspear. I just finished BG2 last night for the first time and now I'm playing SoD without every playing BG1. Maybe after expansion I will play BG1 LOL. Along with patch 2 did BG2 EE received the same improvements as SoD? I mean improved AI, improved scripts, the HUD now indicates the ideal character to use with the current selected items and also it shows if the item is better or not.
The backgrounds is SoD are wonderful and also I love that most of the characters are voice acted.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Some Minsc spoliers below.

So Dynaheir died in my Baldur's Gate play-through, and I never bothered to resurrect her. Because well, I didn't like her that much, but I do like Minc though. Now I'm at the part where I can get Minsc back, but the damn thing is, Dynaheir is alive again and of course Minsc refuse to go anywhere without her. Now I will have to drag her along. This presents another problem though. I never got any stuff for her. She have zero equipment, she is 2 levels below me and got just the basic spells. What a pain this will be.
The following trick worked in the original BG many years back, no idea if it's been patched: Have the character you want to get rid of enter the house of some random townie all alone, and then remove her from the party. At this point she is supposed to start a conversation telling her companion to leave together, but since she's in a different zone the convo doesan't trigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom