Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #1: $850k raised, in-engine footage coming soon

Zeriel

Arcane
Aww yisssss.

Only thought: please don't be leaning towards using zoom out for combat. Pleeeeease.

Edit: Oh, fuck. It really is what they are planning.

Once combat starts, the combat shifts out of the first person mode.

That's a bummer. I'm not off full hype mode yet, but I do feel like this sort of thing does a lot to undermine the immersion of first person perspective.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ok great you can put together a 3d benchmark video.

can you please show combat?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Disclaimer: Game will not look like that when you play it (TW3 syndrome)

Invalid comparison. In a dungeon environment vision is limited to close surroundings, which can free some (a lot of ?) power. And TW3 is open world and a console game.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Only thought: please don't be leaning towards using zoom out for combat. Pleeeeease.

Edit: Oh, fuck. It really is what they are planning.

That's a bummer. I'm not off full hype mode yet, but I do feel like this sort of thing does a lot to undermine the immersion of first person perspective.

From what I've read the weeks before the claim explanation was: "either combat via portaits" or "zoom out", so basically 2 ways. Now I just hope they don't ditch the "first person portrait combat". The necessity to create full fledged animated, textured, equipped 3d character models is almost a waste of resources (or at least eats much more resources) than some character portaits.
I hope we'll soon get details how exactly they plan to incorporate combat. This is essential to know!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
TW3 was downgraded because of consoles. No console version for BT4.

Not really. Yes, in some cases - but the game does not run very well on the PC either.

So, forgive me for taking a realistic view rather than an idealist one.

Also, do you seriously believe that there will not eventually be a console version of this? I don't. Wasteland 2 is going to consoles and there is zero reason why this one won't eventually either.

Zeriel

Arcane
TW3 was downgraded because of consoles. No console version for BT4.

Not really. Yes, in some cases - but the game does not run very well on the PC either.

Also, do you seriously believe that there will not eventually be a console version of this? I don't. Wasteland 2 is going to consoles and there is zero reason why this one won't eventually either.

Witcher 3 runs fine on PC. Controls are a separate issue, but if you have performance problems with it you probably have a very shit PC and just aren't used to games being demanding.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Unlikely that a console version won't happen. Every company welcomes additional money. However I see nothing in the demo that wouldn't work with the exact same visual quality on consoles (without downgrading). Firstly the environment is limited, secondly UE4 is well optimized for occluding/not rendering unseen areas.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Looks good to me! It's not this, no 'dynamic trees' 'n shit here, but that's hardly a shocker.

People already bitching about a downgrade though.:D This thing looks nice, but it's not THAT nice, come on.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game wont look like that, it wont run like that, it wont play like that. Typical "inengine" bullshit trailer.

Anyone who thinks that the gameplay will be similar to that trailer is truly delusional.

Zeriel

Arcane
Witcher 3 runs fine on PC.

The benchmarks I've seen say otherwise. Bester does have a point about UE4 being an optimized engine though, and from my experience with Wasteland 2, inXile's programmers are good at optimization.

Don't know what to tell you, I run the game on a 7-year-old CPU and a 970 and get consistent 60 fps in most scenes with everything except Gameworks on Ultra. The only time it dips is in extremely intensive areas like Novigrad where there are hundreds of entities around you.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

In case of the Witcher, the first video looked so great, that even a ultra high end PC would have struggled to run it, and the consoles would have exploded just by seeing the box. But looking at this video, this doesn't look that great (not that it looks bad). I don't think that a huge ammount of dumbing down is needed to run it on a PS4. And if this comes for the PC first, they can dumb it down after the release of the PC version. With the Witcher 2, this was the same. The game looked great on PC, much better than what the consoles could handle. They only dumbed down the graphics later, and only for the console version.

There is a bigger problem with this by the way. There is a reason why indies don't make games with these kind of visuals. They need to put in a lot of resources, time and money, to design and animate these visuals, which I doubt Inxile will have. Except if they pull a Chris Roberts.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well that video was fucking beautiful. I'm still concerned about the combat and exploration (movement).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many millian had PoE/Torment after two days?
Torment was funded in six hours ($900K), as already mentioned.

PoE funded in 27 hours ($1.1 mln), and it needed ~24 hours to gather $1 mln.

This campaign is going quite a bit slower, after a great start during the first 12 hours, but this is understandable, as the game's genre is much more niche, and Bard's Tale IP is not very well known at the moment - the franchise was popular in the 80s, and that was a long time ago, much larger gap between then and today than late 90s of IE games. There is not even a 90s 'spiritual successor' to namedrop (as there was Fallout with Wasteland 2) to rally the troops.

It will still (over)fund easily, but I doubt it will break any records, unless inXile really surprises everyone with something - and yes, the in-engine video is gorgeous, but I am not sure that will be enough. Not that many people are into old-school RPGs, and they had Grimrock to realize that (Grimrock 1 sold ~900K copies on Steam, Grimrock 2 ~100K).

Bethesda announcing Fallout 4 one day after the KS campaign started is probably not good for publicity too.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bit off topic but since this thread has been dominated by graphics discussion I have to wonder whether the big publishers of the game industry have made some kind of secret "treaty" to reduce the intensiveness of graphics.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bit off topic but since this thread has been dominated by graphics discussion I have to wonder whether the big publishers of the game industry have made some kind of secret "treaty" to reduce the intensiveness of graphics.
It's an open secret Microsoft and Sony are not happy if the PC version looks better than the version on their console. How much that unhappiness leads to money changing hands is anyone's guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom