Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, at day 29, with a company of level 3-4 Bros, I got a two-star 'Kill those Webknechts in the forest' contract.

Not only were there 16 of those things (who must have spawned some eggs too, I kinda lost track), but I also ran into an auto-ambush, so running away was impossible and my archers were pretty much fucked from the start. That seems a bit much.

I probably should have been better equipped and higher level at day 29, but the only contracts available where caravans and packages.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Maybe i should just fire everyone and retire

qz3sx4.jpg

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Is there any way to sell treasures for atleast close to equal price they're worth? I got some stuff worth ~2,6k each from killing monster trees but I can sell it only for around 5 times or less it's worth anywhere I go. Makes killing these monsters not worth the effort.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
I think they are crafting ingredients. Not vendor trash. Dunno though.

Is it me, or did the game got harder on Expert?
Lost my first outfit due to a crappy map, a single enemy archer gibbing 2 hands early, basically starved for repair kits... And then ran into some raider bandits.

Better map seed and I am really struggling for money. Upkeep is yuge. Feels like all kinds of hands got more expensive by about 30%... Cant find the beggars I used to fill my ranks up early game.
Borderline 0 in repairkits and medkits. If I walk to a city now and there is no doable quests there, I am into money negatives.
A single toughy fight with half the squad getting their armor damaged and crippled and I am in a death spiral I wont come out of ...

Time for Easy economy...

1 day my fucking ass
lTdV3ZJ.jpg

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still hard to avoid injuries but no downed bros = good mission
Don't they have an attack that always causes an injury if it connects? At any rate, avoiding injuries altogether seems impossible. Unhold are probably the least attractive fights in terms of investment/return, as you'll have to factor in a few days of recuperation or an expensive trip to the temple after each one. Still, they're fun fights. I like that they have mobility even while seemingly pinned down by multiple bros.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I think they are crafting ingredients. Not vendor trash. Dunno though.

Lost my first outfit due to a crappy map, a single enemy archer gibbing 2 hands early, basically starved for repair kits... And then ran into some raider bandits.

Better map seed and I am really struggling for money. Upkeep is yuge. Feels like all kinds of hands got more expensive by about 30%... Cant find the beggars I used to fill my ranks up early game.
Borderline 0 in repairkits and medkits. If I walk to a city now and there is no doable quests there, I am into money negatives.
A single toughy fight with half the squad getting their armor damaged and crippled and I am in a death spiral I wont come out of ...

Time for Easy economy...

1 day my fucking ass
lTdV3ZJ.jpg

What can you craft with it?

I got heart of the forest, some wood resin IIRC and another item I forgot the name.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
So Schrats apparently have some sort of line aoe attack that kills in 1-2 hits and doesn't miss. That's fun. 3 of these wiped out half my company. I don't even know how you'd approach them because you must break their shields with axes to damage them, arrows don't do anything. Playing ironman with all this new shit might have been a mistake, I'm gonna savescum like crazy on my next try.

I also fought alps once, they attacked me in a plains at night but didn't do shit because I had 12 men and a bunch of dogs. Easiest fight ever, but the gimmick will probably get old fast and if they got me earlier it would've been one sided the other way. Not great design.
Hexen are annoying and very dangerous. Contract paid 120 gold per hexe killed, lol. Avoid at all cost.
Schrats... they don't do anything weird like hexen and alps but they have a ton of hp and their attack deals insane damage and is super hard to dodge (or I just got unlucky).
Spiders are very well designed and interesting to fight. Maybe they could use some boss-spider monster for late game 3-skull fights.
Haven't seen the unhold yet.
Crafting and armor attachments are very nice. Would be nice if some backgrounds gave you new ones.

So far I hope the new monsters (other than spiders) will get some balance and design tweaks, as they are now fighting them doesn't seem worth it and is pretty gimmicky. Maybe we need to work out strategies for them, like when goblins were first introduced, but for now they don't seem worth fighting, unless you can do something like I did with fighting 12+7 dogs vs alps.

Another thing: IMO using tryout should decrease the cost of the merc by what you've paid for the tryout. Especially because you only see the traits not the stars or stats.

I think so. I fought a necromancer, fallen hero, 2 ghosts and a bunch of armored zombies around day 25, had a 2-start contract for a goblin camp with an overseer and a shaman around day 50-60. I saw a location with ancient priest and a bunch of legionnaires close to town around day 50 and a wandering hexe with 3 schrats (good luck!) around day 60. The map is swarming with brigands. I haven't played in a while but I don't remember it getting so hardcore so fast before.

2yS8err.jpg

West. Tablelands.
i6YShGv.jpg

It was to the west btw. I guess that area also counts as tablelands, but it's not marked.

I was taking shortcut and was ambushed at night. 41 enemies.
IsxXr7f.jpg

Thankfully, it's ghouls fighting zombies and ghosts. Small ghouls got scared, big ghouls killed all the ghosts.
2TNO5HE.jpg

That's not even remotely close to enough. 500 per head would not be worth it unless you're in super late game and OP as hell. Dunno, 1000 maybe? I'd rather fight a camp of orcs or goblins than a couple of these and that will pay 1,5-3k and give some loot on top of that.
eGgE0E7.jpg

Last edited:
Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
ran into alps, took a 1000 coin 3 skull mission out of desperation for money
started my virgin fite by waiting out a turn, realized what they were doing and started 'dancing'...
worst possible camp, but they generally dont manage to sleep everyone and once you wake up someone, they dont sleep again for a turn
4UopQ9x.png

when i didtn konw what i was doing, this was the closes i came to a wipe, i was bunching up cause i thought the alps bite...
tuB3mp5.png

but fairly soon, you realize what formation is best and you make this 2 line frontline and move 2 tiles a turn until you back the alps into the map border...
CbGeAOg.jpg

1000 coin for nothing, the only damage i took was experimenting just to see what these fuckers do as an attack
2lL4Ttw.jpg

its hard to say if this tactic works for more of em, but right now its fucking free money and ingredients
3 skull, 1k coin orc misssion... well, any mission would have obliterated that squad...

Reinhardt

Arcane
3 hours ago i won big ork fight without losses or even wounds. And then... blackout in my part of town. And now i have to fight them again.:negative:

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm still mucking along in earlyish game. I kept wondering what's the deal with spiders - by far the easiest enemies to dispatch - but then I got a contract where 13 of them roam the forests and you have no choice but to fight them inside. Gets a lot more tricky with eggs, trees and webs.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Spiders are perfect enemies. Early they can rape you but later they come in hordes and feed your ego by dying in big numbers.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Can bandits and others spawn with armor already having armor attachments?
Haven't seen any, even on bandit leaders. You can loot attachments from bandit camps though.

Another thing that has not been fixed since the earlier versions. I had a contract to find a location for 300 crowns, then a guy approached me to not report the location (and take a huge reputation and town attitude hit) for... 320 crowns. These should be at least 1,5-2x times the original amount to be worth considering.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Spiders are perfect enemies. Early they can rape you but later they come in hordes and feed your ego by dying in big numbers.
I've never had issues with them.

Also - I still get perk panic in this game. There's a few builds that are easy to figure out (Sarge bro most obviously, archers also pretty simple), but I always feel stupid building (most specifically) two-handed bros.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So Schrats apparently have some sort of line aoe attack that kills in 1-2 hits and doesn't miss. That's fun. 3 of these wiped out half my company. I don't even know how you'd approach them because you must break their shields with axes to damage them, arrows don't do anything. Playing ironman with all this new shit might have been a mistake, I'm gonna savescum like crazy on my next try.

I also fought alps once, they attacked me in a plains at night but didn't do shit because I had 12 men and a bunch of dogs. Easiest fight ever, but the gimmick will probably get old fast and if they got me earlier it would've been one sided the other way. Not great design.
Hexen are annoying and very dangerous. Contract paid 120 gold per hexe killed, lol. Avoid at all cost.
Schrats... they don't do anything weird like hexen and alps but they have a ton of hp and their attack deals insane damage and is super hard to dodge (or I just got unlucky).
Spiders are very well designed and interesting to fight. Maybe they could use some boss-spider monster for late game 3-skull fights.
Haven't seen the unhold yet.
Crafting and armor attachments are very nice. Would be nice if some backgrounds gave you new ones.

So far I hope the new monsters (other than spiders) will get some balance and design tweaks, as they are now fighting them doesn't seem worth it and is pretty gimmicky. Maybe we need to work out strategies for them, like when goblins were first introduced, but for now they don't seem worth fighting, unless you can do something like I did with fighting 12+7 dogs vs alps.

Another thing: IMO using tryout should decrease the cost of the merc by what you've paid for the tryout. Especially because you only see the traits not the stars or stats.

I think so. I fought a necromancer, fallen hero, 2 ghosts and a bunch of armored zombies around day 25, had a 2-start contract for a goblin camp with an overseer and a shaman around day 50-60. I saw a location with ancient priest and a bunch of legionnaires close to town around day 50 and a wandering hexe with 3 schrats (good luck!) around day 60. The map is swarming with brigands. I haven't played in a while but I don't remember it getting so hardcore so fast before.

2yS8err.jpg

West. Tablelands.
i6YShGv.jpg

It was to the west btw. I guess that area also counts as tablelands, but it's not marked.

I was taking shortcut and was ambushed at night. 41 enemies.
IsxXr7f.jpg

Thankfully, it's ghouls fighting zombies and ghosts. Small ghouls got scared, big ghouls killed all the ghosts.
2TNO5HE.jpg

That's not even remotely close to enough. 500 per head would not be worth it unless you're in super late game and OP as hell. Dunno, 1000 maybe? I'd rather fight a camp of orcs or goblins than a couple of these and that will pay 1,5-3k and give some loot on top of that.
eGgE0E7.jpg

I fought three of them and lost one low lvl bro. The strategy I used was try to surround one at a time and not to make straight lines(always use the "blind spot" on the back lines or when not possible always back off after attacking), and every time a bro was hit hard and got low or half health I disengaged if possible(most of my bros have rotate and footwork). I didn't bother with their shields because I found them to be fairly easy to hit. They're tanky as fuck though. And their attacks do miss.

I don't know if there are fights against them with more than three, but I don't think it would be doable if that was the case, unless I had a very high level party with top tier equipment.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I don't find Alps badly designed. On the contrary they promote a specific kind of play which is different that the usual line of battle. You have to split groups that need to stick together but not too close (because I FEEL that Alps do some sort of "splash" sleep, aka one guy and anyone adjacent). Doing that they are not so bad.
Didn't find any hexes so far

hivemind

Alps are literally the highest peak of tactical design this game has ever achieved. Anyone who dislikes them is unironically mentally challenged(in the taste department)

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
Alright, I fought alps again and they are trash. Literally free money. Huge amount of it too.
1 most important reason is that they cannot hurt you in the same turn. So you just mash space to skip your turn to the end and wake everyone up. They dont skip the turn effectively...
Or rather they do it rarely and the best thing is their initiative is high, so they have to skip turn first lol.
So you get slept. Whoopty doo, stand in a hex, problem solved. Dont get gready, move slowly.
2 skulls - 5 alps - 700 coin
3 skulls - 7 alps - 1000 coin

Trophies for everyone!
vL4SfC7.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom