Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Brancaleone vazha You guys realize that is what Porky does, right? This is who he is. He complains about sucking at games and then insults people that give him advice.

Emotional damage detected... Show me where I complained about sucking at the game... I am actually doing pretty well, finished 2 crises on Ironman, despite the game throwing all kinds of shit at me. Seems like you misread the situation and put your 2 cents in, which are worthy of their creator. :smug:

Harthwain

Magister
Protip: you can get an achievement for beating four late game crises on Ironman on beginner, because the only thing that matters is being on Ironman, not the difficulty of the campaign as such. Also, you don't have to beat four late game crises on the same run. You can still get the achievement if you have different playthroughs.

Just saying, if you ever want to get an achievement and brag about it.

Like clockwork, after insulting you he brags about how well he's really doing once someone has pointed out his stupidity. Really guys! He's doing fine!

The thing is, kiddo, doing well is not subjective. I am on day 320 of my campaign on Ironman, going stronk. ;) And since I am playing for fun and not min/max or be a munchkin, there is literally nothing I could do to do better in this campaign.

Protip: you can get an achievement for beating four late game crises on Ironman on beginner, because the only thing that matters is being on Ironman, not the difficulty of the campaign as such. Also, you don't have to beat four late game crises on the same run. You can still get the achievement if you have different playthroughs.

Just saying, if you ever want to get an achievement and brag about it.

Seems pretty pathetic, I got that achievement years ago on Veteran/Veteran/Ironman for the first crisis.

So my epic campaign continues with yet another grinder:

On day 320, took a contract to take out whatever terrorizes some backwoods village. Noticed the contract was 3 skulls and a ton of money, so I was like I probably shouldn't, but I mean come on...

24 Nachenburgers. Ok, I was hoping they would all be the junior type. No such luck, 5-6 top level fuckers, and another 6-7 mid-levels, and the rest are juniors.

I fucked up and instead of taking all footmen, which is my usual strategy against plethora of Nachos (works great to prevent them from encircling your backline if there is no backline :) ), took a backline of crossbowmen. This of course is not ideal against that many Nachos, as you can't let them encircle you, but if you attack them too fast, they just use that shit to feast on their own corpses. Which is what happened.

Next thing I know, the fat fuckers swallowed half my company (the fucking AI is pretty good at figuring out to swallow the best dudes too, swallowed my sergeant, and 2 knight like dudes, among others), and are constantly feasting themselves while I kill them. So by mid-battle, I am 110% sure I am getting wiped. Shit is getting desperate, crossbowmen are fighting with spears and shield (I realized I forgot to give one a shield as a backup, :(, he blocked with his ribs), bannerman is poking well fed Nachos with banner while 2 junior Nachos are sitting on his face, best dudes are digesting in Nacho stomachs, and I am already making plans to start next campaign.

But somehow, my little bros stuck with it, and slowly, Nacho by Nacho, they managed to claw their way back. It got funny toward the end, as they popped the fat Nachos, and dudes started coming back half-digested.

So, the final tally: the poor bannerman Guntbert died (even though I have a surgeon retinue, he already had 2 permanent injuries before, so this one did him in), but he was the only fatality. Another footman got the Traumatized permanent trait, so I had to retire him from company, and one of the crossbowmen got messed up lungs (-40% fatigue). I will keep him around while I train his replacement, but long term he's gotta go with 30 fatigue. Other than that, one dude got a missing nose (minor thing) and one dude got brain damage, so all in all, an epic victory.

The religious war started between North and South, but I am not getting involved until most of the settlements become non-hostile.

Ok, campaign continues, day 350:

Finally waited out all the settlements hating me, started doing contracts everywhere again. Found another excellent Swordmaster candidate to replace the one I lost at that ambush battle months ago. This one started with 20 mdef and 2 stars in it, and 75 mattack with 1 star. Will be a similar build to before, but I will replace Footwork with Lone Wolf this time, and maybe another perk later.

Took one the first Religion War crisis contract, defend the holy sight against enemy army. Only one skull, but holy fuck, it was a really tough contract. Even after doing the prelims, ended up with my 12 guys against 20 enemy southerners. Gunners, conscripts, an officer, fire spearmen, etc. Seemed like real overkill for a one skull, 1200 gold or so contract.

The gunners, much like in real life, were more about the fear than the actual thing. When they start doing their thing, I almost shit myself every time, but most times, not much happens. But southerners are always relatively hard to kill with their Dodge and Shields and other crap. Battle took like 20-30 minutes, but eventually I won with only losing one guy (he came with a permanent injury, traumatized, which got partially cancelled out by Brain Damage permanent injury he got earlier). That guy makes me think my mercenary company should offer health insurance or some shit.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And the moral of the story is:

- forest fights are bad, they've always been bad and the community is made up of retards who fail to point that out, which means they will always be bad.
- Swordmasters are also fucking bad. Check the spreedsheets, WORSE stats-for-the-gold ratio. Go Hedge Knight/Oathtaker/Anatomist or go for a cheap background.
- Sword duelists just need so many fucking stats, at that point ANYTHING would "work".

1- Forest fight "design" or the lack there of is of course terrible, no argument there.
2- I'd hire a good swordman (aka with the right perks) when I see one because at some point, money isn't an issue and having 2 good perks on a bro is worth more than gold.

3- Let's agree to disagree, the only reason not to use a duelist is because it's too strong, even with the base game because you'll flank the enemy and then destroy his archers, pikemen, sergeants faster than with any other unit.
It makes berserk teams even more lethal and fights even shorter.

With Legends, many other builds will shine, 2H swordman with kata and sanguinary/berserk is even more lethal and some low AP 2H cleavers, "super AOE pikes" or 2H Axes/maces for single tough opponents will eventually do better but it depends on the stats of the named weapons you'll roll.
So what perks would you take on a sword duelist (or rather what are you giving up on)?

Depends if we're talking about the base game only, base game + Legends or Legends + PTR.

With Legends, at the very least, you get +1 perk every 5 levels past 11 and I think it changed to every 4 levels.
Starting characters even get 1 every 2 or 3 levels after 11.
There's also a lot of great perks.

I didn't play with the base game alone in years.

I'd say something like that:
Iron Lungs.
Perks: Recover, Berserker, Sword Mastery, duelist if there's no 2H fencing swords in the base game (I don't think there is any), Student (which is free) because he needs to level up fast, low level fencers are terrible (just give him a 2H pike or a shield + spear until he's ready), Footwork, Relentless, Nimble, pathfinder.

It's eight, student giving back 1 perk point.
Then, take your 2 last picks between Colossus, Killing Frenzy, Fearsome, Overwhelm, Lonewolf, dodge, anticipation, resilient...
Resilient can be very good against hexes and goblins, overwhelm against everything with high hp, fearsome against swarms (goblins, nachos, spiders, ...)
I think anticipation and dodge helps him not to get targeted. This and high enough defenses.

Also, you should aim for 200 initiative, which is the maximum the base game takes into account for lunge damage.
I usually pick pathfinder for everyone, if you don't, avoid fighting anywhere but in plains and roads.

FriendlyMerchant

The gunners, much like in real life, were more about the fear than the actual thing.
I personally always side with the desert people. The nobles have better gear so killing them is more profitable.
Dont guns alone overweigh all the gear the northerners might have? Also desert is more fun & challenging to play against, I think.
Handguns are expensive. But rng usually reduces the amount you get to a few. Meanwhile things like billhooks and polehammers are fairly plentiful and the average weapon carried by a noble soldier is worth much more than anything else carried by southerners. Noble armies are better for armor farming too, especially if they have knights or Zweihanders. Better helmets too. I personally find desert armies just annoying to fight and usually not worth the time there's nothing more fun about them than the nobles. Other than worse armor, they function the same way as nobles with the exception that they have handguns instead of arbelists and they might have an annoying gimmick present which is the only source of difficulty from them. Plus the fort defense is much nicer for gear farming and the desert people tend to pay much better for weapons while the extra cost for food and tools is marginal. If I get tired for the holy war, I just go to the arena and make shekels. I couldn't do that with the nobles.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Like clockwork, after insulting you he brags about how well he's really doing once someone has pointed out his stupidity. Really guys! He's doing fine!
Porky is just... himself. My view is that we talk here about a strong feeling of inadequacy (this is where bragging comes in) coming from actual inability to solve problems. Is the source of the issue lying in low intellect or is it emotional? I have no idea. If I had to guess - emotional, the subject seems to be capable enough intellectually - when he can control his emotions. But then myself, I am an optimist. Perhaps a bit of self-hatred comes to play too, which is then reflected at everyone perceived as the source of the psychological discomfort.

End of short psychological evaluation. Forgive the terrible quality, it's worthless and stupid but at least it is free. And is still more intellectually stimulating than many of the posts in this thread lately. Mine possibly included - but you-know-who was posting the most lately by far.

Truth to be told, I still hope 3/4 of Porky posts are trolling. Decent trolling too.

Porky is just... himself. My view is that we talk here about a strong feeling of inadequacy (this is where bragging comes in) coming from actual inability to solve problems. Is the source of the issue lying in low intellect or is it emotional? I have no idea. If I had to guess - emotional, the subject seems to be capable enough intellectually - when he can control his emotions. But then myself, I am an optimist. Perhaps a bit of self-hatred comes to play too, which is then reflected at everyone perceived as the source of the psychological discomfort.

End of short psychological evaluation. Forgive the terrible quality, it's worthless and stupid but at least it is free. And is still more intellectually stimulating than many of the posts in this thread lately. Mine possibly included - but you-know-who was posting the most lately by far.

Truth to be told, I still hope 3/4 of Porky posts are trolling. Decent trolling too.

2 idiots come into a thread and attempt to insult the guy actually talking about the ... game the thread is about. The guy easily dispels their 80IQ level insults, and uses his razor sharp wit like a fencing swordmaster (no pun intended) to carve them a new one. Crying, the 2 idiots accuse him of trolling, insulting, etc. Never change, 'Codex. :)

Ninjerk

Arcane

I don't think he's unintelligent--not very self-aware perhaps, but he's articulate enough for me to think his intellect isn't his problem.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I don't think he's unintelligent--not very self-aware perhaps, but he's articulate enough for me to think his intellect isn't his problem.
6IEmCQE.jpg

My new swordmaster is almost up to level 8, where he gets Duelist.

Meanwhile, I am trying to recruit a Noble for my single Knight position, but it's proving hard. Paid 8k for a Hedge Knight, but he had sucky stats, way worse than my Sellswords. Had to let him go. Found an adventurous noble, but he was fat... :(

Serus

Arcane
Patron
My new swordmaster is almost up to level 8, where he gets Duelist.

Meanwhile, I am trying to recruit a Noble for my single Knight position, but it's proving hard. Paid 8k for a Hedge Knight, but he had sucky stats, way worse than my Sellswords. Had to let him go. Found an adventurous noble, but he was fat... :(
I once played a campaign where three starting brothers were all fat. I run into the seed by accident, couldn't stop myself from playing it. "Three fatsos" i called them. (Un?)fortunately two of them lost the "fat" trait fast. True story too, i posted some of their adventures in this threads. I suppose it makes sense they lost all the additional fat fast, after all you are a foot company that travels all the time. Want to be fat, work as a city guard who can take bribes and drinks beer all the time - not just when the player feels generous.

If you want a practical point in my post - the fat trait is easily lost - but it is completely random afaik. Still, there are many worse traits by far.

I don't mind the Fat trait in general, but in this case, for my lone Knight:

1. It's bad because -10 Fatigue hurts. The knight will have to wear 3 tons of armor as well as sword + shield, so he will already be short on Fatigue.

2. From a purely LARPing perspective, a fat knight? No way, man. They were the Chuck Norris of middle ages.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind the Fat trait in general, but in this case, for my lone Knight:

1. It's bad because -10 Fatigue hurts. The knight will have to wear 3 tons of armor as well as sword + shield, so he will already be short on Fatigue.

2. From a purely LARPing perspective, a fat knight? No way, man. They were the Chuck Norris of middle ages.
Don't be fatphobic!
0JCXXHN.jpg

More Battle Brothers fun. :smug:

This weekend, Ontopoly II was raging drunk in the Shoutbox, so I was bragging about playing BB, and when he asked about it, I joked with him that the game would be too difficult for him.

Being drunk, he took it kinda personal, and the following exchange ensued on my profile page :lol::

AOwrsxg.png

UQxpitO.png

iLe20Ho.png

3eecEef.png

Had a brutal day in my campaign, which hit a year. Some legends died...

First, defended a village against an orc horde with a Warlord, 6 Warriors, and 3 Berserkers. Killed the berserkers quickly, but Warriors take a while to beat down, while they are just marching through your lines at will. All this marching eventually led to one of my veteran crossbowmen (and one of the 3 starting bros) getting killed. Poor guy, though he already had a busted lung from before, so I was planning to replace him at some point.

Then had a fight against 4 Unholds, which normally isn't that bad, but this time, they just got ALL THE RNG. Fight took forever because I had to keep most of my melee bros away from the Unholds since they already had no health and injuries and no armor left. Crossbowmen ran out of bolts, shit got weird. Only one sellsword bro was doing well, cause he had ~640 armor with Battle Forged, a heater shield and something like 70 mdef. But he ran out of fatigue and could only attack once per turn, so it took a long time to get anywhere with those damn Unholds healing back up. In this fight, I lost Gottfried, another legend, who had both Brain Damage and Traumatized permanent injuries. They also killed a rookie crossbowman I recruited to replace the guy above.

So now I need to train up 2 crossbowmen, and a few footmen, while still looking for a Knight.

Legends... Legends never die...

Campaign hit day 400...

I finally found a Knight candidate. a certain Sir Walter, a dis-owned noble with 2 stars in mattack, a star in mdef and a bit Paranoid and a braggart. Still, started with 67 mattack and 15 mdef, so not too shabby. I immediately put the heaviest available armor on him, which left him with exactly 3 Fatigue for going to the bathroom.

The religious war ended with barely any involvement from me (won 1 battle) since I was too busy recruiting and training people up after losses. Now have some breather room until the next crises, which I hope to use for training up the Knight and the rest of the young assholes.

The epic swordmaster got old... :( I am still keeping him around in case I find the fountain the youth and/or to get those training events for nobility. And I mean even with Old, he is a good backup fighter (50mdef, 99mattack).

Onward to glory... My current ambition is to get Invincible reknown (8000).

Sir Walter became dubbed as Sir Walter the Slayer, after killing 8 enemies in a single battle. He is now sporting 360 body armor and 300 head armor with Battle Forged, a stylish heater shield with company colors, and of course, a noble sword. While having 92 mattack, and almost 70 mdef. Most enemies laugh when seeing him, and go attack a Lindwurm instead.

Meanwhile, the 4th crisis started, the Undead Invasion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom