Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I can't believe I actually found out about the new update from the Codex, despite checking the steam page at least once a day.
I also can't believe it took them 1.5 years to draw this one banner. (HOB's first big BB video came out January 2022)

Joking aside I actually think that there is more coming for BB, despite them supposedly focusing on their new game. The reason for that, as I said in another thread, is because in the Febuary Q&A (the only one they ever did, possibly?) the main dev mentioned needing testers for something "interesting", and I don't think several bug fixes and a banner counts as that.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I honestly don’t know why indy devs ignore the mac crowd given the majority of these macs are toasters in terms of gaming performance which makes them a perfect couple. sad.

Modron

Arcane
I honestly don’t know why indy devs ignore the mac crowd given the majority of these macs are toasters in terms of gaming performance which makes them a perfect couple. sad.
1.84% of steam users use mac, it's not worth the time or effort for even big triple A studios to cater to, someone who sells maybe a 100-10,000 copies of their game would probably be lucky to pick up 10 sales from all the effort to port something to mac.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1.84% of steam users use mac, it's not worth the time or effort for even big triple A studios to cater to, someone who sells maybe a 100-10,000 copies of their game would probably be lucky to pick up 10 sales from all the effort to port something to mac.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
Well tbh there’s 0 point for a mac user to use Steam if there are no mac games. But i see the point. I wonder if there will be changes in this statistics in September when Larian are expected to ship osx version of BG3.

Reinhardt

Arcane
started reading stronghold yesterday, about zombie apocalypse in medieval wales and bunch of englishmen besieged in a castle by undead and now i kinda want to replay bb again...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
started reading stronghold yesterday, about zombie apocalypse in medieval wales and bunch of englishmen besieged in a castle by undead and now i kinda want to replay bb again...
Try Poul Anderson's high crusade next. Then you'll want BB.
IN SPACE!

Covenant

Savant
I've been getting back into this recently, and I've been meaning to push myself to give some of the other origins a go rather than sticking with my usual Lone Wolf. I was initially veering away from Anatomists given the whole 'Can never be Confident' thing, which is a pretty hefty penalty, but I've been looking at some of those potions and wow... You could make some pretty godly bros by combining just a few of them.

Also, multiple years of playing and I still have mixed feelings about permanent destruction - I don't think it's well-balanced and it adds a lot to the map RNG factor, but at the same time, without it, it's too easy to ignore crises. If only there was some sort of actual endgame you were building toward, sort of like how Darklands did it, I think it'd ameliorate the issue a lot by giving you an actual overall win/lose to shoot for.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i think there should be an option for making crisis permanent and launch them all at once.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've been getting back into this recently, and I've been meaning to push myself to give some of the other origins a go rather than sticking with my usual Lone Wolf. I was initially veering away from Anatomists given the whole 'Can never be Confident' thing, which is a pretty hefty penalty, but I've been looking at some of those potions and wow... You could make some pretty godly bros by combining just a few of them.

Also, multiple years of playing and I still have mixed feelings about permanent destruction - I don't think it's well-balanced and it adds a lot to the map RNG factor, but at the same time, without it, it's too easy to ignore crises. If only there was some sort of actual endgame you were building toward, sort of like how Darklands did it, I think it'd ameliorate the issue a lot by giving you an actual overall win/lose to shoot for.

The real answer to this is to disable permanent destruction and take the crisis seriously.
It's hard enough to build up the economy to get settlements half destroyed or completely destroyed.
Legends adds some dynamic economy which makes some settlements grow overtime if you take care of them but really, you have to babysit the ones you want to grow.

Battle Brothers is good but really, there's a huge gap between what it is and what it could have been.

PlayerEmers

Novice
Tried the game and it seems as RNG-swingy as Wesnoth. Why do people make 'tactics' games like this? Eador's low level of outcome variance was absolutely fine. Glad I didn't buy this.
its kinda heavy on RNG.
the thing is: BB is full of baits and noob traps (its pretty much intentional). it will absolutely filter most people from this game.
when you start to learn stuff from the game you will see theres a few ways to mitigate most of those RNG shenanigans.

but...
Tried the game and it seems as RNG-swingy as Wesnoth. Why do people make 'tactics' games like this? Eador's low level of outcome variance was absolutely fine. Glad I didn't buy this.
I was an adventurer like you but then I took a bolt to the head...
...you will still definitely get headshoted by pleb thugs and goblins and lose your bro in a whiff

I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS :troll:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS I HATE GOBLINS :troll:
At least this guy does something productive with that feeling.
iu

Covenant

Savant
I wouldn't take goblins lightly per say, but in terms of trying to avoid bullshit RNG deaths, I'd take them any day over frenzied hyenas or necrosavants.

Modron

Arcane
it's a game of rng mitigation, you need to become the cheesemaster
It's mostly just about learning what you can and can't take and not being overly aggressive rather than their being cheesy strategies abound. The only rng that bothered me was character recruitment since they kept on adding layers of rng to it, starting stat spread instead of fixed background bonuses like it started as where you only had to worry about traits then they added on skill potentials adding a further layer of rng. Started with just 1 level of rng on recruitment and ended up with the 3 layers we see currently.

PlayerEmers

Novice
At least this guy does something productive with that feeling.
iu
based goblin hater autist
I love him

I wouldn't take goblins lightly per say, but in terms of trying to avoid bullshit RNG deaths, I'd take them any day over frenzied hyenas or necrosavants.
its just that I find goblins really annoying to fight against.
their loot also kinda sucks dick compared to loot from other non-animal fights.
just... fuck them

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
its kinda heavy on RNG.
the thing is: BB is full of baits and noob traps (its pretty much intentional). it will absolutely filter most people from this game.
when you start to learn stuff from the game you will see theres a few ways to mitigate most of those RNG shenanigans.
I got decently good at Wesnoth, but the high outcome variance never stopped being annoying. I could get good at BB too but just don't want to because I doubt the variance would stop being annoying in this game too. High outcome variance is properly understood as a separate issue from claiming the dice are biased or that the game is too hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom