Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah... I don't even think bolt-action rifles will be standard equipment.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah... I don't even think bolt-action rifles will be standard equipment.

they will be, they are plenty of bolt action rifles in bf 1942 and 1943, hell, there are even ww1 weapons in bf 4

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
this is going to be arcadey run and gun killstreak onl1n3 gaym yes?

you never played a battlefield game have you ?

this is not a corridor shooter like cod, you have big open spaces, so even if its run and gun arcade shooter, you cannot hide behind a corridor wall.

inb4 BUT A BUILDING WALL........ no, buildings can be destroyed.

sullynathan

Arcane
this is going to be arcadey run and gun killstreak onl1n3 gaym yes?

not slower paced? e.g. insurgency
Battlefield doesn't have kill steaks but from what I've seen of insurgency, I doubt this game will be as slow or realistic as insurgency.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I want to hear high quality version of the the new re-orchestrated 1942 theme for BF 1

My only complaint so far about BF 1 is dindu nuffin...... but i will live with it.

funkadelik

Arcane
How am I supposed to feel immersed in a WW1 setting without some heart tugging dub step to go along with my emotions?

Beastro

Arcane
Only issue with it is it's too epic in spot. Original was nice and subdued.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty damn hyped for the E3 presentation. Hope we get to see real gameplay 64 player battles that give us a clear impression of how the game will be.

Starwars

Arcane
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-ea-was-concerned-kids-didnt-know-ww1/1100-6440385/

Battlefield 1: EA Was Concerned Kids Didn't Know WW1 Even Happened
There was "some debate" internally about Battlefield 1's World War 1 setting.

Following last month's news that EA Studios boss Patrick Soderlund initially rejected DICE's pitch for Battlefield 1, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said today that there were concerns the company's younger audience didn't even know World War 1 happened.

Speaking at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2016 Global Technology Conference, Jorgensen said there was "some debate" inside of EA about Battlefield 1's setting.

"World War 1, we were worried that many of the younger consumers out there didn't know that there was a World War 2 or Vietnam, so World War 1..." he said.

One of the reasons why Soderlund originally rejected DICE's Battlefield 1 pitch was because he thought trench warfare couldn't be fun. But World War 1 offered much more than that, and once developers presented these ideas to EA, the project got the green light.

"I think what people don't understand about World War 1 is the technology shift that went on during the war," Jorgensen said. "People started the war on horseback and ended the war with airplanes and tanks and battleships and submarines. And that's a huge opportunity for us to be able to do a video game around."

Jorgensen also mentioned that there is a huge geographic opportunity for Battlefield 1's content, since World War 1 took place across all of Europe and northern Africa.

It appears people are indeed interested in a World War 1 Battlefield game. The game's announcement trailer is now the most-liked trailer for anything on YouTube. Jorgensen said this speaks to the "excitement" that exists around the game, even if it might not necessarily be indicative of future sales.

Sometimes, it strikes me how weird the world gets sometimes. I mean, I like historical shooters but the whole "trench warfare couldn't be fun" just jumped out at me. The whole connection of fun and games to a terrible war, it just gets kinda fucked up at times. The dude is selling World War 1, so weird.

Ugh, late night whisky thoughts.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
On the one hand, I'm kinda averse to glorifying WWI as something 'fun', since as a New Zealander I've been beaten over the head with how awful and wasteful the first world war, and the Gallipoli campaign in particular, was.

On the other hand, I play shit like the total war games constantly, in which things like genocide, mass-killings, sacking, looting, etc are basically reduced to numbers on a screen, so I'm probably in no real position to take any moral grandstanding on this.

Beastro

Arcane
Sometimes, it strikes me how weird the world gets sometimes. I mean, I like historical shooters but the whole "trench warfare couldn't be fun" just jumped out at me. The whole connection of fun and games to a terrible war, it just gets kinda fucked up at times. The dude is selling World War 1, so weird.[/QUOTE]

Assuming a lot of things about WWI that weren't universal, even on the Western Front. They're ultimately doing nothing that countless companies have done marketing WWII and no one has a problem with that.

WWI is massively distorted war in people's minds that people react to more with emotion and what they were taught than anything factual.

On the one hand, I'm kinda averse to glorifying WWI as something 'fun', since as a New Zealander I've been beaten over the head with how awful and wasteful the first world war, and the Gallipoli campaign in particular, was.

I could see this point if the same idea was applied to WWII (especially since they are two parts to the same overarching conflict) and other wars, like Vietnam, but it never comes up. WWI is only a special case because people hate stalemates even though WWII is at worst comparable to it, but there was a lot of movement and dynamism in the latter, so it feels "better" that people locked in the popular idea of cratered moonscapes of mud being mowed down en mass for little gain.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
The whole idea of producing games for children on times that made grown men go insane is weird

A lot of entertaining shit is that way.

Think of amusement parks and horror films, they exist to expose us to faux life or death situations in a stupid safe environment.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I dunno, maybe I'm just averse to them presenting the horrors and tribulations of the first world war to dubstep.

Like I said, I'm inherently biased towards the subject because WWI is still very much a sore point in New Zealand public conscience, unlike in places like the United States where it's mostly passed over in favour of discussing WWII. I accept that my view is somewhat hypocritical (even though my view of the events of WWII as something that 'fun' can be derived from has dimmed as I've gotten older and began reading more in to subjects like the Pacific campaign and the Great Patriotic War), but it's still enough to keep me away from the game for now.

Beastro

Arcane
I dunno, maybe I'm just averse to them presenting the horrors and tribulations of the first world war to dubstep.

It's fucking retarded no matter what war is involved, though.

That's ultimately my point, not that WWI is special, but that we're too accustomed to other wars being treated in a more cavalier way.

The Battlefield series once was subdued with good, yet neither over the top or inappropriate music, CoD actively tried to find a balance between fun and not glorifying war, but they've decayed into crap.

As fitting and entertaining as it was, even the music to BF Vietnam was a stupid easy way of connecting young people to the war.

Like I said, I'm inherently biased towards the subject because WWI is still very much a sore point in New Zealand public conscience, unlike in places like the United States where it's mostly passed over in favour of discussing WWII.

I'm Canadian. It's not looked on here as a wound, but our famous battles and what we sacrificed are looked on as sacred, but that's not much of a far step away from WWII in our minds as well.

If anything WWII is actually worse for us, because of Dieppe and the popular (mistaken) perception that we were deliberately chosen by Mountbatten to be "Gallipoli'ed" during an operation that was expected to fail and should have never happened.

(even though my view of the events of WWII as something that 'fun' can be derived from has dimmed as I've gotten older and began reading more in to subjects like the Pacific campaign and the Great Patriotic War)

Eastern Front is the one that gets me, even the decent treatment of it in CoD1 is crap since anything that glosses over the darker aspects of it feels like deliberate whitewashing to me.

Edit: The only game that handles the Eastern Front well is Red Orchestra because the gameplay with its one shot one kills does its best to emulate being scared of war and dying mercilessly when you find yourself trying to hide wishing you could get even one kill before someone spots you and downs you.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, kind of bizarre that people are cool with WWII but not with WWI. You'd think that something like fighting as a Nazi would be more controversial, and people could have relatives killed/maimed from WWII still in living memory. IE, someone could have their grandfather walk in on them playing the BF 1942 Battle of the Bulge map and talk about how they actually lost their leg in that battle and watched their best friends get blown away.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
The jews made WW2 an entertainment machine bar none. Untermenschen think Saving Private Ryan is a gloomy antiwar movie.

And if you've seen [current year's] remembrance celebration of Verdun, than you know that WW1's perception shifted too. Hence Battlefield 1.

Anyway, moralizing craft is so [previous century], we progressed past that.
13629247174_5ae8093fcf_z.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Edit: The only game that handles the Eastern Front well is Red Orchestra because the gameplay with its one shot one kills does its best to emulate being scared of war and dying mercilessly when you find yourself trying to hide wishing you could get even one kill before someone spots you and downs you.
That, and the screaming.

My god, the screaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom