Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Leechmonger

Arbiter
This game is terrible, or at least the beta is. Hit detection sucks, map looks awesome but is terrible gameplay-wise, there's still no proximity VOIP, people are bullet sponges, etc.

I would not be surprised if Titanfall 2 ends up being better than this game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I've been having a lot of fun with the beta so far. As always in Battlefield vechicles are where it's at, infantry are just cannon fodder.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is going to die quicker than Hardline.
Funny how people don't understand that there is a difference between the main Battlefield series, which is the focus of Dice and EA, and some shitty spin-offs like Hardline and Bad Company 2. BF1 will be a hit, there is no contest about that.

sullynathan

Arcane
Funny how people don't understand that there is a difference between the main Battlefield series, which is the focus of Dice and EA, and some shitty spin-offs like Hardline and Bad Company 2. BF1 will be a hit, there is no contest about that.
What difference does it make? Bad company 2 didn't die as quickly as Hardline, battlefront sold as much as BF4 and died.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What difference does it make? Bad company 2 didn't die as quickly as Hardline, battlefront sold as much as BF4 and died.
The difference is that they take more care with the main BF series, that's why they are played for years and years. And this being a main BF game, it won't be a quick cashgrab like Hardline.

Drakortha

Liturgist
The difference is that they take more care with the main BF series, that's why they are played for years and years. And this being a main BF game, it won't be a quick cashgrab like Hardline.

It's not just battlefield: ww1, the same as battlefield 4: hardline? It's extremely thematic, like a grand orchestra. What I experienced in the Beta doesn't feel like anything I would play for years, it lacks depth. It looks and sounds good but that's about it really, just like Battlefront. When I realized there wasn't any teamplay going on and all boils down to run 'n gun, I grew bored with it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It's not just battlefield: ww1, the same as battlefield 4: hardline? It's extremely thematic, like a grand orchestra. What I experienced in the Beta doesn't feel like anything anyone would play for years, it lacks depth.
It is the next big BF game after 4, not a spinoff.

Drakortha

Liturgist

yet it's called battlefield 1, not battlefield 5. I think it means Battlefield: WW1 but that wasn't edgy enough for ea.

I digress, it's not a spin-off. With the mountain of DLC and cut content it's hard not to feel like these are spin-offs instead of full sequels. Battlefront just felt like a star wars flavored battlefield so I assumed the same thing for bf1.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played and liked Battlefield 1942 and especially Vietnam was good. I didn't like BF2, it was too arcade for me with too much random running around and just lucky-trigger-killing, no team tactics whatsoever, because the game was too fast for that. Is there any chance I will like any modern Battlefield? I liked Red Orchestra games and ArmAs. I have no idea about current state of BF.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I played and liked Battlefield 1942 and especially Vietnam was good. I didn't like BF2, it was too arcade for me with too much random running around and just lucky-trigger-killing, no team tactics whatsoever, because the game was too fast for that. Is there any chance I will like any modern Battlefield? I liked Red Orchestra games and ArmAs. I have no idea about current state of BF.

They are more arcadey than battlefield 2. For example, in bf1 there aren't any bases where vehicles spawn, that sandbox ability is lost. You simply choose what vehicle you want to fuck around with from the respawn screen. respawn, die, rinse and repeat. It looks and feels better than the older games and is more streamlined. Team work mechanics are very basic and most players ignore it and go with guns blazing lone wolf rambo style.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

yet it's called battlefield 1, not battlefield 5. I think it means Battlefield: WW1 but that wasn't edgy enough for ea.
It's just called BF1 because there is this stupid trend in the gaming and movie industry that they name their next game/movie in the series like it was the first one. And since it is also a WW1 game, EA hit 2 birds with one stone by naming it BF1.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've played the beta for an hour and my impressions have been positive especially compared to battlefield 4. The menu is fucked and doesn't even connect to the servers, meaning I have to constantly try and reconnect.
The game certainly looks good, DICE has that down. I like the new spawning, but they removed the ability to actually see your teammates pov before spawning which is dumb.
The movement is more sluggish than BF4,3, Hardline and battlefront, not in a realistic way but it a weird way.
The gunplay itself has gotten a little change too. It seems like there's less hit scan weapons now at least.

This map itself feels too large for 64 players, wish they picked a better map.

Two big problematic things are the huge weapon pick ups and vehicles. These tanks are too op and receive little damage while the flamethrower and giant machine gun user can just deal death really easily.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

They are more arcadey than battlefield 2. For example, in bf1 there aren't any bases where vehicles spawn, that sandbox ability is lost. You simply choose what vehicle you want to fuck around with from the respawn screen. respawn, die, rinse and repeat. It looks and feels better than the older games and is more streamlined. Team work mechanics are very basic and most players ignore it and go with guns blazing lone wolf rambo style.
Exactly what do you mean by "teamplay mechanics"?

Drakortha

Liturgist

Exactly what do you mean by "teamplay mechanics"?

Well the support class is supposed to provide ammo, but nobody playing support will even be providing ammo, if ever. Medics often wont throw down their med kits, or perform revives. Medic class is able to replace their revive syringe with a grenade launcher, I think most players are selfish enough to opt for that over medic tools.

It just isn't the same as the battlefield games in the past. During rush in Bad Company 2 there were always these choke points during the match where players would bunch up and the class mechanics would come heavily into play. Recons would throw their scanners so everyone could know where the enemy was, medics were constantly reviving and throwing med kits down, and assaults would leave ammo boxes so you could continue throwing grenades over a hill to suppress the advancing enemy, and leave smoke grenades to create more cover. In Battlefield 1 the mechanics are still there, but either the map does not encourage their use, or the mindset of players has changed.

sullynathan

Arcane
More impressions.
No one ever revives in this game. It's far worse than battlefield 4.
I'm definitely doing far better in it than I did when I first got into BF4. I don't know if it is because of lots of noobs, game being easier or my increased skill.

I like the medic class the most. I don't know if the game even shows your teammates that need to be revived.

The weather effect stuff is really cool though and messes with the eyesight. It's one of the better things in this game.

I like the horse control, very simple and easy even though his sword has a very huge hitbox.

The different melee weapons having different damages seems like a waste to have but doesn't affect the game much.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used to play medic in BF4 and revived people all the time, when I wanted to grind for score :) Always worked great.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Class balance can easily be fixed with patches, and it probably will be. This is only a beta mind you.

Also, they already confirmed, that the revive mechanic is bugged at the moement, because icons dont show up on map and scree nfor medics, so they dont know who to revive.

THey could also reduce the amount of ammo you have, to make support more viable. there are different ways to tweak the balance

anus_pounder

Arcane

8742.jpg

Soulcucker

Savant
Well the support class is supposed to provide ammo, but nobody playing support will even be providing ammo, if ever. Medics often wont throw down their med kits, or perform revives. Medic class is able to replace their revive syringe with a grenade launcher, I think most players are selfish enough to opt for that over medic tools.

It just isn't the same as the battlefield games in the past. During rush in Bad Company 2 there were always these choke points during the match where players would bunch up and the class mechanics would come heavily into play. Recons would throw their scanners so everyone could know where the enemy was, medics were constantly reviving and throwing med kits down, and assaults would leave ammo boxes so you could continue throwing grenades over a hill to suppress the advancing enemy, and leave smoke grenades to create more cover. In Battlefield 1 the mechanics are still there, but either the map does not encourage their use, or the mindset of players has changed.

They should have kept the mechanic in BF:Hardline that allowed players to grab ammo and med packs from support and medic players.

Soulcucker

Savant
Just a syncing bug. When a dust storm rolls in chats complains about it, planes stop being effective, rarely get sniped, ect.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Game is fine, except for me having some awful performance bug. Oh well.

There are bases that spawn vehicles, and holding them is instrumental. Nobody really gives a fuck at this point tho. That said, they do only spawn from map, which is bullshit.

I'm not much of a series veteran, only started with BC2, but also played BF3 and BF4. As far as I can tell, so far, this experience is just like in the previous betas. It's a giant pub server and most people on it are just riding the hype wave. After the game comes out, find some good private servers and the quality of the game improves tremendously. Shit, BF4 with a good squad, voip and a good commander is incredible. Medics and Assault bros deep in enemy territory. Pilot bro providing air support and spotting our targets for us. Anytime someone goes down, the squad batters down to wait for the respawn. Shit makes one feel like some sort of a death squad. Shit's reel gut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom