Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #2: Story Campaign Unlocked, New Stretch Goals

Zeriel

Arcane
Nope, that's Clan Era shit. We're talking 3025 here.

So styrofoam and packing peanuts?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yawn. Wake me up when they pass the multiplayer goal. HBS AI is not up to scratch for a single-player only game.

lurker3000

Arcane
That your predictions were wrong?

As someone pointed out earlier all those BT tabletop players from the early-mid 90's are grown up with money to spend. I underestimated that.

I dunno why anyone take stretch goals seriously at this point on kickstarter, they are mostly bullshit since 2012.

Yeah but these ones seem to be actively wasting money that could be better spent on other things.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think 3025 should answer any and all questions about proportions of size and weight. If you need more convincing, look at how we looked in 1025 and compared armored horseman (even those were crappy compared to few hundred years later) with modern day tanks...

It's definitely a strategy game, but if we call it that then we have to relegate it to Tacticular Cancer, the website that no one ever goes to, and no one ever will.

I check it frequently in the hope of some news... :(

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Its true Shadowrun games were meant for mobile and you cant save them from taht atrocious engine, but they are making it from scratch. I do wonder if they will pull off a good Turn based game based on the TT.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Actually I don´t get the rant about shadowrun! I thought it was fun roleplaying it since Shadowrun dragonfall. I understand that shadowrun Hong Kong compared with the predecessors is not a big evolvement, but it should also be indicated that Shadowrun Hong Kong is not Shadowrun 2! HB is trustworthy imo.

The Shadowrun games are mediocre RPG's at best, probably the best part of them (for me) is the setting (which HBO didn't create and isn't really capturing, but I fill in the blanks and fix the errors for myself) and they do a fairly decent job at telling their story (meh, I'm a storyfag).
So I get why you like 'em, I like parts of 'em too and really try hard to ignore the rest.

But for a game that's supposed to have "Gripping Turn-based Tactical Combat" (HBS quote, certainly not mine), the combat and AI is simply utter crap.
Yeah, sure, "crippled by its own engine" (But who decided to use that tablet engine? Oh, right... And which engine are they using now for their awesum mech TB combat game... Ooooh. Right.) and even then even the cheapest budget tablets carry better hardware than what any old-school GOOD tactical game used to run on.

Blindly trusting the company who boasts about SR's awesome tactical turn-based combat to now suddenly make a great game focused solely on said combat (with SR's only redeeming qualities: fluff and rpg-like stuff as stretch goals) seems... about as absurd as trusting Turing Pharmaceuticals to end poverty.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't know, I think Harebrained Schemes have demonstrated they have quite some skill in A.I. design. For example, the extreme lengths they went to to code enemies to never use more than one attack per turn is quite impressive.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, so here's an argument for all the people going "But their games have bad combat!"

That argument is - what Kickstarted RPG doesn't have "bad combat"? Do you have anybody left to support here? :P

Maybe "good combat" just isn't something you can reasonably expect from any Kickstarted game (any game, period?) until the developer makes a concerted effort to create it in a game that's entirely or almost entirely about combat. Like this one, for instance.

Zeriel

Arcane
That argument is - what Kickstarted RPG doesn't have "bad combat"?

Divinity: Original Sin. :M

(I concur that we have to expect they will do a better job of combat with a combat focused game, but all people are saying is that we have skepticism they can pull it off. I think we're all basically in agreement here over the premise, the only disagreement is how optimistic people are about their ability to deliver on non-shit combat. Also I suspect "non-shit combat" means different things to different people. I am worried to HBS good combat does not include a challenge to test yourself against. For myself, the best combat system in the world can't deliver the goods if all encounters are designed to be trivial.)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Divinity: Original Sin. :M

(I concur that we have to expect they will do a better job of combat with a combat focused game, but all people are saying is that we have skepticism they can pull it off. I think we're all basically in agreement here over the premise, the only disagreement is how optimistic people are about their ability to deliver on non-shit combat. Also I suspect "non-shit combat" means different things to different people. I am worried to HBS good combat does not include a challenge to test yourself against. For myself, the best combat system in the world can't deliver the goods if all encounters are designed to be trivial.)

The "consensus" was that D:OS combat was easy.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
OK, so here's an argument for all the people going "But their games have bad combat!"

That argument is - what Kickstarted RPG doesn't have "bad combat"? Do you have anybody left to support here? :P

Maybe "good combat" just isn't something you can reasonably expect from any Kickstarted game (any game, period?) until the developer makes a concerted effort to create it in a game that's entirely or almost entirely about combat. Like this one, for instance.
It's not really about effort. The main problem is horrible ideas of developers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The "consensus" was that D:OS combat was easy.

No it wasn't. At release, a lot of people thought everything past Cyseal was easy, but not Cyseal itself.

Personally I had difficulty for the entire duration after all the patches and playing on hard.

Archibald

Arcane
Well thats always what happens when game gives you lots of option to "game" it. But I don't really see a problem with that since it feels like whole point of the game is to break it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom