Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Weasel
It begins:

Woah HBS... careful with this one:

>I’m guessing that we may experiment with torso twist to see if it’s fun. That’s the sort of thing
>I’d do in a lance-based game but not a company-based game.

Torso twisting is a basic part of the original rules for the tabletop. Please don't ruin this game by "interpreting what is fun and what is not".

Us old Battletech players who backed this because it was going to be a "faithful reproduction of the turn based tabletop game" will get mighty crusty if you start cutting out basic rules from the game.

Re: Torso Twist
Keep in mind that everything is purposely left open. They aren't committing either way so that they can make the best damn game they can. Remember who is doing this and their reputation. They want to under promise and over deliver, not the reverse.

Understand William, but that is exactly what us old players are worried about...

We don't want "the best damn game".... we want the "best damn port of the tabletop rules to the PC game"... THEN they can start adding the extra toys and widgets to make it appeal to a wider audience.

I know I'm splitting hairs but I just wanted to make sure that us old farts who have been waiting around 30 years for this to happen (Yes I still have good old "Mechforce" from Ralph Reed on my old Amiga 500).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I understand there is some serious hardcore love for this setting and mech warrior combat in general.. but I just don't get it. What's the big deal with all this robot gundam fighting shit.
I want to like it.. I just don't.

Am I the only one who doesn't think huge robots is some kind of revolutionary thing? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I woulda preferred a better Shadowrun Game.

It begins:

I'm wringing my hands in anticipation. Take Hardcore fanboys and a dev team out of touch with their demographic.. we might just have a Sword Coast Legends yet!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It begins:

There may be be a smaller version of what happened to SCL at some point in BattleTech's future. Maybe somebody should point him to the pre-Kickstarter interview where they said "we aren't going to be slaves to the tabletop rules", but it's more fun this way I guess.

Gozma

Arcane
Unless BT tabletop rules have editions I don't know about, they shouldn't try to use them. It's basically an anti-tactical ruleset with a non-existent skill cap, designed to make cool stuff like crippling ammo explosions and head-remover shots happen to incredibly poorly (in terms of rules munchkining, anyway) designed mechs, to be played buzzed by non-tryhards (or rather, tryhards at painting miniatures) in a hobby shop with no hard feelings at the end. Particularly in 3025 before a billion crappy ER Pulse Artemis MANPAD RPG LBX Ultra LSRM Battlesuit things got shoveled on.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Compared to what? The amazing depth of gameplay of mechwarrior...

And I have a ton of other examples of play-styles, all viable and all fun.
It's not about the number of how many buttons you have on a shitty "I'll never get laid" controller but about how complex are the game mechanics, options and how different tactics are supported by the game assets.

No wonder that this shit never saw the light of day.
Because nobody needs it

Kem0sabe

Arcane

And I have a ton of other examples of play-styles, all viable and all fun.
It's not about the number of how many buttons you have on a shitty "I'll never get laid" controller but about how complex are the game mechanics, options and how different tactics are supported by the game assets.

No wonder that this shit never saw the light of day.
Because nobody needs it

MWO? Now I know you are just fucking with me.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
Unless BT tabletop rules have editions I don't know about, they shouldn't try to use them. It's basically an anti-tactical ruleset with a non-existent skill cap, designed to make cool stuff like crippling ammo explosions and head-remover shots happen to incredibly poorly (in terms of rules munchkining, anyway) designed mechs, to be played buzzed by non-tryhards (or rather, tryhards at painting miniatures) in a hobby shop with no hard feelings at the end. Particularly in 3025 before a billion crappy ER Pulse Artemis MANPAD RPG LBX Ultra LSRM Battlesuit things got shoveled on.

Well, what I would do is limit it to 100% stock mechs for the first half of the game, with limited choices in what you could buy or salvage. Then add in some modifications for the rest of the game, and only get an omnimech towards the end (if at all).

Then you have to think carefully about taking explodemobile mechs like hunchback and marauder.

lurker3000

Arcane
Well, what I would do is limit it to 100% stock mechs for the first half of the game, with limited choices in what you could buy or salvage. Then add in some modifications for the rest of the game, and only get an omnimech towards the end (if at all).

Then you have to think carefully about taking explodemobile mechs like hunchback and marauder.

I think they already said they would only allow partial customization of weapon loadouts. Something about keeping the spirit/role of the mechs intact. I could be wrong though.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
you poor poor men

YOU POOR POOR MEN

I can't believe people actually expect tabletop rules. Every single fucking time HBS has fielded a question about faithfulness to tabletop mechanics, whether it be in comments or stream or interview , they have stated that it will be an interpretation, not a direct port, with the fun and feels in the drivers seat. FFS! People have no one to blame but themselves if they get all ass sore.

lurker3000

Arcane
I can't believe people actually expect tabletop rules.

True they seem to be very cagey about what they say about mechanics. But this seemed like such a simple straight TT conversion that it got everyone's hopes up. Even the RPG elements that are added with the campaign are just a small layer on top that would effect a few variables in the actual combat. If they do cut a ton of rules/options it will be because they know they cannot program a competent AI which then leads back to the question of why PvP was not part of the original plan.

All that being said these dumbasses better have torso twisting. I mean Jesus I remember that from MW2 20 years ago.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MWO? Now I know you are just fucking with me.

As someone who has played both MWO and Steel Batallion, I can confirm that MWO is indeed a more complex simulation. Have you actually played Steel Battalion, or are you just fapping to pictures of the controller? Because the construction of the controller is pretty shoddy and the boot sequence literally just consists of pushing the same buttons on the center console in the same order at the start of every level. It gets old by mission 3.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As someone who has played both MWO and Steel Batallion, I can confirm that MWO is indeed a more complex simulation. Have you actually played Steel Battalion, or are you just fapping to pictures of the controller? Because the construction of the controller is pretty shoddy and the boot sequence literally just consists of pushing the same buttons on the center console in the same order at the start of every level. It gets old by mission 3.
I played it at release, it was pay to win crap, woth real money unlocks for everything.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, that's patently false. At least in MWO you can't purchase "gold modules" like World of Warships and you won't be put in a mech that has no chance of penetrating and dealing damage to an enemy like War Thunder, or who becomes invulnerable like exotics in Pox Nora or gains special bonusses from money-only camouflage like World of Tanks. All the game mechanic upgrades are bought with ingame credits, and most of the mechs can be played without unlocking if you don't mind running default loadout.

And since there was no money unlocks in steel battalion I'm going to discard your statement above as irrelevant to the question I asked.

Have you or have you not played steel battalion?
Because unless you have, you're just fapping to a low-grade HOTAS setup bundled with a banal game that has less complexity than MW 2-4 or MWO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom