Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys I'm probably old or sth but what is "binaries" ?? I thought the whole deal was to have non-binary sexes? Being binary means either male or female... right?
I'm confused.

(Obviously this is retarded bullshit and actually doesn't fit even the text - who cares what the fuck these people are...)

*AH I GOT IT!! 4 women out of which 3 are binary! ROFL it's even more retarded. How the fuck do you SEE THAT in a recording??

PanteraNera

Arcane
To add to the confusion, it reads seven wet naked bodies four woman and three binary.

*edit* so four "they's" and three real woman?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Holy fuck, who let the three binary star systems in the pool, the gravity will destroy the ship!

Oh, it's the new cool SJW thingy, stay down commander, nothing serious, although you might want some mental health evaluation of your mercenaries.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been checking the nexus, and did they really removed the only mod which disabled this pronaoun shit? I don't just want to disable the "they" pronoun mind you, but every kind of pronoun selection, because it is a retarded idea.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Cael
Could you clear up some things for me that feel incredible cheesy and not like the lore of Battletech I remember (mostly from a shitload of Battletech novel's I read in my youth).

There is this mission called "Grave Robbing" which basically is a treasure hunt for LosTech. This muslim engineer woman finds a "Outpost Castle" called "Nautilus" from SLDF (Star League Defense Force) in the data archive of the Argo. While trying to open the doors to the armory she lets lose an AI / Virus thing that tries to overload the engines of the Argo so it would explode. Meanwhile on the surface of the planet (the mechanic guy is there as well in a Rumble Seat which is a second seat in a mech cockpit) has to fight SLDF drones which are basically automated tanks. Because some other guys (Taurians) get there as well the mechanic guy lets the whole fucking Fortress explode (with probably countless Star League BattleMechs), the player is awarded with an Highlander with an Gauss Rifle (also that bitch princess gets herself an Atlas II).

I did like SR Dragonfall, but this "story-writing" is just utter trash and bullshit at least to me. Once I have finished the campaign I will give an full "review" but I struggle more and more to play this game, which is mainly because of bad story / writing and that it does get quiet repetitiv and grindy (doesn't help that it is my second campaign, in my first I had gone completely freelance, ignoring the priority missions and doing only randoms, which unfortunately lessens the enjoyment of the game for me now as I grow more and more tired of it).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've been checking the nexus, and did they really removed the only mod which disabled this pronaoun shit? I don't just want to disable the "they" pronoun mind you, but every kind of pronoun selection, because it is a retarded idea.
Screenshot_2018_5_5_How_to_permanently_delete_games_from_Steam.png

https://www.pcworld.com/article/301...remove-games-from-your-account-heres-how.html

DeepOcean

Arcane
They could improve the writing. It's by the same guy who did Dragonfall, the talent is there.
Dunno, this Kiva person/entity/Cthulhu monster really give me a bad vibe, it looks like some nasty piece of SJW work, its emotional instability is evident on the very way it tweets, if the rest of the employees are this way... things could get even worse as the game is selling well based on Battletech popularity alone, they could get the cue to be even more pushy with their political nonsense, which would be a joy killing to me.

Conservatives should start making games, the future of games being made mostly by those lunatics would be bleak.

Codex Year of the Donut
Conservatives should start making games, the future of games being made mostly by those lunatics would be bleak.
It's a shame Kingdom of Amalur sold so poorly, it was actually a really good game. I didn't play it until a few years after it released and my only criticism was that it gets too easy near the end.

Cael

Arcane
Cael
Could you clear up some things for me that feel incredible cheesy and not like the lore of Battletech I remember (mostly from a shitload of Battletech novel's I read in my youth).

There is this mission called "Grave Robbing" which basically is a treasure hunt for LosTech. This muslim engineer woman finds a "Outpost Castle" called "Nautilus" from SLDF (Star League Defense Force) in the data archive of the Argo. While trying to open the doors to the armory she lets lose an AI / Virus thing that tries to overload the engines of the Argo so it would explode. Meanwhile on the surface of the planet (the mechanic guy is there as well in a Rumble Seat which is a second seat in a mech cockpit) has to fight SLDF drones which are basically automated tanks. Because some other guys (Taurians) get there as well the mechanic guy lets the whole fucking Fortress explode (with probably countless Star League BattleMechs), the player is awarded with an Highlander with an Gauss Rifle (also that bitch princess gets herself an Atlas II).

I did like SR Dragonfall, but this "story-writing" is just utter trash and bullshit at least to me. Once I have finished the campaign I will give an full "review" but I struggle more and more to play this game, which is mainly because of bad story / writing and that it does get quiet repetitiv and grindy (doesn't help that it is my second campaign, in my first I had gone completely freelance, ignoring the priority missions and doing only randoms, which unfortunately lessens the enjoyment of the game for me now as I grow more and more tired of it).
Umm... What do you like cleared up about that? Sorry, but I am not seeing a question?

I'll try to take a stab at what's confusing you.

1. There were things called "Outpost Castles" in the BTech universe. However, these were known fortifications and many were situated in the Rim World Republic, on the opposite side of the Inner Sphere from the Concordant. Most, if not all, were presumed destroyed when the RWR fell during the Amaris Coup.
2. AI do exist in the BTech universe. The Caspar class AI WarShips are a classic example. There are rumours of AI runned Space Defence Systems (Earth has one, I believe, but ComStar won't confirm or deny) that use cruiser sized drone WarShips to defend the planet against any enemy. The virus part is new, though.
3. Drones exist in-universe in the aforementioned cruiser WarShips. First time I have heard of tank-sized, though.
4. 'Mechs can carry two people in the cockpit. This was established way back in Crescent Hawk's Inception. The second guy basically has to crouch in the back. There is no second seat (second cockpit) until post-3050 that I recall, although it is possible to have some purpose built as command vehicles that dropped weapons for a second cockpit (it only weights 3 tons and take up 1 crit). Arianna Winston, commander of the Eridani Light Horse in 3062 has a Cyclops modified like this. Rumble seats are generally for training 'mechs so that the trainer can be in the cockpit with the trainee. They are not in general use 'mechs.
5. The original SLDF-era Highlander had a Gauss Rifle, so that is correct. It was downgraded to a AC20 when the technology to make Gauss Rifles was lost and the original weapon got damaged. Atlas II was a Royal Regiment design, and every last one of them left with Kerensky. There shouldn't be one of those lying around.
6. Entire wars have been fought over Star League caches, let alone an intact Outpost Castle. The whole Crescent Hawke Inception game where Kurita invaded Chara III was over a SL cache. The attack on Galtor and Ubidi by the Wolf's Dragoons was over a cache. The recovery of the Helm Memory Core from a SL cache is central to the whole BTech universe. The Helm Core basically was responsible for everything post 3025, period. That is the kind of scale we are talking about. Blowing up an intact Castle would basically have the whole Inner Sphere after your character and the bitch princess in a "what the fuck HAVE YOU DONE????" lynch mob. Her uncle should be able to use that to ensure she never rule again. The whole of the Ares Convention was designed to prevent destruction of LosTech that scale. Even 'mech factories were left alone. Conquered, yes. Raided, yes. But NEVER, EVER damaged, let alone destroyed. Even JumpShips are not supposed to get hit.

Breaking the Ares Convention is the one sure way to get yourself lynched from all sides. Basically "good game, roll another character, this one's dead".

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Holy fuck, who let the three binary star systems in the pool, the gravity will destroy the ship!

Oh, it's the new cool SJW thingy, stay down commander, nothing serious, although you might want some mental health evaluation of your mercenaries.

IIRC "Binary" is also used to describe a certain sized clan force in BT. Kind of confusing to use the same word for this crap.

Cael

Arcane

IIRC "Binary" is also used to describe a certain sized clan force in BT. Kind of confusing to use the same word for this crap.
2 Stars, 10 'mechs.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

2 Stars, 10 'mechs.
For some weird reason I was thinking of 2 galaxies instead, but wasn't sure so I didn't specify haha.
The last time I looked into this stuff was back when mech commander 1 came out...

Cael

Arcane
2 Stars, 10 'mechs.
For some weird reason I was thinking of 2 galaxies instead, but wasn't sure so I didn't specify haha.
The last time I looked into this stuff was back when mech commander 1 came out...
It is pretty easy. They follow the logical convention for stars in astronomy, so if you know astronomical terms, you can remember it easier.

A star has 5 points, each of which can be a 'mech, 2 aerospace fighters or 5 elementals. So 5 'mechs, 10 aerospace fighters or 25 elementals to a star.
2 stars is a binary system in astronomy, so a binary in Clan convention is 2 stars.
3 stars is a trinary system, so a trinary is 3 stars in the Clan system.
A cluster consists of a lot of stars, which in the Clan sense is multiple trinaries (anywhere between 2-5, usually 3).
A galaxy is several clusters.

6. Entire wars have been fought over Star League caches, let alone an intact Outpost Castle. The whole Crescent Hawke Inception game where Kurita invaded Chara III was over a SL cache. The attack on Galtor and Ubidi by the Wolf's Dragoons was over a cache. The recovery of the Helm Memory Core from a SL cache is central to the whole BTech universe. The Helm Core basically was responsible for everything post 3025, period. That is the kind of scale we are talking about. Blowing up an intact Castle would basically have the whole Inner Sphere after your character and the bitch princess in a "what the fuck HAVE YOU DONE????" lynch mob. Her uncle should be able to use that to ensure she never rule again. The whole of the Ares Convention was designed to prevent destruction of LosTech that scale. Even 'mech factories were left alone. Conquered, yes. Raided, yes. But NEVER, EVER damaged, let alone destroyed. Even JumpShips are not supposed to get hit.
Seconding that blowing up the cache is incredibly fucking dumb. I have no idea why they even wrote it like that. They could have just had a tiny mostly wrecked base with nothing usable but the four mechs that you steal, but instead they made it massive and then Yang just destroys it like a lunatic anyway (on his own initiative, without even telling anyone beforehand). It's so unnecessarily stupid.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
t3v2jmbn.gfs.png
^LOL
Erase the recording
No. Address the crew and give them a dick slapping and an ejection via open airlock.

OK, now that Cael's blood pressure was properly elevated, the joke is over.
This was fake news!

I had to confess before anyone of you freaks starts throwing to Kevin death threats over this shit! :)
Oh please, as if Kevin needs us to give him death threats. You overestimate his worth to us. At best, he is like that grotesquely deformed rabbit we have in the backyard that we point to and laugh whenever we have guests over.

lightbane

Arcane
This was fake news!
Really? Because the regular writing seems bad enough to be believable, as evidenced here:

Blowing up an intact Castle would basically have the whole Inner Sphere after your character and the bitch princess in a "what the fuck HAVE YOU DONE????" lynch mob. Her uncle should be able to use that to ensure she never rule again.

Proper SJW characters don't have to care about the consequences of their actions. They don't play RPGs, after all. :troll:

So far the game's butthurt seems to be more entertaining than the game itself, what a shame.

On the plus side... A new version of Piratez with lots of content is out!

Cael

Arcane
This was fake news!
Really? Because the regular writing seems bad enough to be believable, as evidenced here:

Blowing up an intact Castle would basically have the whole Inner Sphere after your character and the bitch princess in a "what the fuck HAVE YOU DONE????" lynch mob. Her uncle should be able to use that to ensure she never rule again.

Proper SJW characters don't have to care about the consequences of their actions. They don't play RPGs, after all. :troll:

So far the game's butthurt seems to be more entertaining than the game itself, what a shame.

On the plus side... A new version of Piratez with lots of content is out!
The funniest part is that HBS had to hire trolls and shills to cover for their shit product, and yet most of the lines written about it were not about the trolls/shills cover topic but about the game's lore violations and performance issues. At best, the trolls got a single line. Poor returns on investment, if you ask me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom